Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What NEW product does Dillon need to work on?

a better system to catch the spent primers, i have had a sd, 550 and now i have a 650, but on all of these machines the primers are all over the.

do something about the snappy shellplate

the possibility to buy upgrade kits for the old presses.

a primer system that can hold 500 primers instead of 100.

cheap primer tube filler

a light that fits in the middle hole of the toolhead.

the possibilty to swage primer pockets on a 650.

bulletfeeder

Get the little nipple adapter for the 650 and a piece of tubing to 2qt soda bottle or some such, you'll never pick up a spent primer again from your 650... On the 550 what I did was found a machined pin that was the exact size that goes in the hinge of the primer chute, then I got little round silicone tubing from the hobby store and cut small sleeves that I placed on the outside of the pin as a retainer, with enough play that the pin could slide back and forth a 1/16 - 1/32.. solved the 550 issue as well.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a primer system that can hold 500 primers instead of 100.

That one sounds bit on the dangerous side. Of course, in the unlikely event that a full primer tube detonates, with 100 primers max, at least the machine can be rebuilt. If 500 primers went off, you might not be able to rebuild yourself.

Saw a turret primer setup for a Star that held 1000 primers in 10 plastic tubes, no Thank you

I've used exclusively 550b's and really like them. With 25 grains of fine .223 powder the drop seems easy to adjust and stays put BUT with V320 and 4.70 grains it takes a lot of time to set the powder drop correctly, then it seems prone to drift.

My procedure is to average 7 drops - getting the weight up into a more accurate range of the electronic scale - drop to drop stability is too little to accurately weigh. I've modified one 550b with the Unique Tech micrometer (using a setscrew and loctite to hold the body in place) and that helps some, but there remains backlash and some drift. Maybe if the cavity were wider the screw backlash would affect it less.

I would gladly pay significantly more money for a better drop option.

I used to hang out with a gunsmith/commercial reloader who had 3 Camdex machines. They have an electric primer system that's similar to Dillon's primer tube filler. You just dump the primers in and they get flipped and fed. Has anyone ever modified their 1050 to use one of these?

But having detonated a full tube of primers on my 1050, I'm not sure I want anything to do with a high capacity primer system.

:blink:

Wow...My 550 is absolutely the best thing since sliced bread. Having lived with Lee Load Master until I got it :sight: , I can honestly say yes, the Lee's are simple and work good...but you always have to finish that comment with "..when they work.."

Priming system on the 550? Go play with the Lee Load Master. I freaking LOVE the priming system on my 550. :cheers:

Powder variations? 1 of my 3 powder dispensors has a drift that I can easily work around...the other two? Dead on.

Case Feeder...Ok..you got me there. The Lee does have an UBER simple system that works and works pretty good. I would buy one from Dillon that is a mechanical design and smaller capacity (like Lee's) if it was priced accordingly. :bow:

I don't get the locking ring comment. I use Dillon, Lee (with lee dies), and Hornady locking rings (came on a die set)..I can honestly not tell much of a difference except for the thickness of the rings. Once they're locked down...they ain't going no where. There's been some discussions about 'floating the dies' using an o-ring (Lee dies have these) but I ain't convinced that will actually do anything. :unsure:

About the ONLY thing I can think of off the top of my head...I want a set of .32 ACP dies from Dillon (they don't make them) and yes, you can have one of the Blue Press models drop them off..thank you very much :P

You guys at Dillon ROCK! Having used the competitors I know how well the Dillon works for me (YMMV)...it's like you designed a system just for me. Price, flexibility, capacity...etc.

Keep it up... :D

Edited by Undrpsi

hard to improve on these presses.....

some ideas:

an add-on light and mirror for looking down in the cases for powder in the seating station so it's easier to verify powder present before I put a bullet on top.

I'm happy w/ the primer feed system on my RL550B. Clean every 500 and it works and works. Spent primer setup could be improved... I'd pay for an upgrade.

make it easier to lube the press.

a fine-adjustment powder measure for small volumes would be great. I agree w/ TreblePlink about difficulties w/ set up and drift w/ small volumes.

Retail Hornaday One Shot. It's pretty much the only thing I go elsewhere for (I still use Dillon lube for rifle).

-rvb

When I originally posted, I was thinking of upgrades we'd pay for, or, new products that could boost Dillon's revenue. Looks like there's ideas for both.

I would pay $200 for a 650 upgrade that modifies the primer system and makes the belling easier to adjust.

I'd also be willing to try some new ideas in reloading technology ...

I would pay $200 for a 650 upgrade that modifies the primer system and makes the belling easier to adjust.

How much easier can it be. Loosen the powder measure (2 screws), loosen the lock ring on the powder die, adjust powder die, tighten the lock ring on the powder die, tighten the two screws on the powder measure and check the belling. Takes about 2 minutes.

Pat

Square Deal Casefeeder

Its not that hard to do but the SD is already at the edge of being worth it from a price standpoint (the two I have were around $130 when we bought them.)

Anyway here is the one I threw together. You have to click the photo to play the video.

th_MOV02172.jpg

what nipple adapter

Drill out the bottom of a 44 mag/spl case and loosen the two screws holding the factory bracket in place and slide the rim of the case over the bracket, snugg the screws and attach the hose.

IMG00069-20110424-1355.jpg

Or weld a section of 1/2" box tube to the braket to keep them from jumping out of the gap.

primercup.jpg

pricup.jpg

I would like to see a press that will preform all of the operations required to reload rifle rounds in one pass.

Edited by jmorris

On the XL650, the spent primer trampoline and the unused primer ski jump should have never made it into the final product... They are so easy to correct that it's baffling why Dillon lets these warts persist on such a great machine.

Moved up from 550's to a 650 this year, pleased with the machine but it would throw spent primers.

Made a gasket glued to the top of the primer cup using a water hose rubber ring and another using thin sheet packing foam between the primer cup bracket and the housing cutting the foam with a razor blade. Held the rubber water hose gasket with a piece of tape most of the summer till I glued it with two part epoxy a few weeks ago. You don't need to modify the water hose ring just place it on top of the primer cup, tape or glue it.

So far no spent primers on the floor, cheap easy fix.

This issue should have been fixed by Dillon, real pain when your loading in a spare bedroom.

Primer slide bar on my 550's used to require frequent cleaning till I started using powdered Graphite as a lubricant. Now it runs a lot longer before cleaning usually just a blast of air. Don't have a compressor keep a can of spray air on the bench.

Dillon has no plans to introduce a liquid tumbler. Three reasons;First:You must first deprime the brass before wet cleaning it, adding an extra step. Second: after the brass is clean, you have to wait for the brass to dry before you can load it.Third and most important: The carbon residue inside the case acts as a lubricant on the powder funnel. If this is absent, greater effort is required to pull the case off the powder funnel. Brass is cleaned to remove the dirt,grit & chunks from the case so it doesn't scratch the dies, or more importantly, the chamber of your firearm. Cleaning the interior of the case does not improve accuracy.

When changing the 650 primer seating assembly, I cheat- first remove the primer cam #13670 from the upper right side of the machine frame. This gives you a lot more romm to access the seater and swing a wrench.

The new style cranks, with nylock nuts and zerk fittings, are available for both the RL550B and the XL650. They are NOT a warranty upgrade, and must be purchased. Their use requires that you plug any existing lube holes in the crank, link arms and frame. Tapping lead shot into these holes with a punch suffices.550 upgrade crank kit #18275 $36.70, 650 uprgade crank kit #18276 $41.95.

Current lock rings are one inch across the flats. If you are tightening the lock ring so much that you fracture it, then you are overtightening it. Same way with the current one inch bench wrench. Always tighten lock rings with cases in all the dies;this centers the dies in the toolhead for improved concentricity.

We are testing some minor changes to the 1050 primer feed area,more on that when we are done.Same with toolhead springs for the Super 1050. Be aware that no springs are available for the RL1050. Use Super 1050 springs, in conjunction with the Super 1050 Spring bushing.

It is very unlikely that Dillon will ever offer a hand-held, unshielded primer filler. We have no plans to offer a fully automated machine or a bullet feeder, as either would end our ability to export any equipment. Our international customers are important to us, we don't want to be cut off from them.

When changing the 650 primer seating assembly, I cheat- first remove the primer cam #13670 from the upper right side of the machine frame. This gives you a lot more romm to access the seater and swing a wrench.

I will give that a try. I tend to resist the impulse to remove stuff from a perfectly functioning press! Thanks!

See you at the Desert Classic...