Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open - what caliber

Guma

I am probably opening a can of worms with this question but my reading over the last 2 weeks really didn't answer the following question.

Is there a caliber that is preferred in the Open division of USPSA?

I see a lot of talk about 9 Major, .38 SC and .40. While these terms are vaguely understandable, I have not drilled down enough to fully understand what they are and which is more preferred over the other.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, that is a can of worms and there are thousands of posts on this. However, just to simplify for me, I did this. Of course, .40 is out of the question. The only advantage there is if you shoot Limited and want to simplify your reloading. Between 38 and 9mm, it came down to brass and for me, simplify my reloading. I reload a lot of other 9mm rounds so loading 9Major made sense and brass is cheap and easy to get. I just had my last 38 converted to 9Major and I plan on staying with it for a while. You do have more reloading options with 38 as far as powders but that wasn't enough to justify staying with 38. Good luck!

9MAJOR for all the same reasons as gng4life.

But some Open guys are dedicated, no , make that hard core, in their opinions of the 38super.

Brass is the big thing for me.

If you buy 9mm brass that is your problem. Never buy 9mm brass. Just go to some steel matches or RO a few big matches a year and you will get all the 9mm brass you can use up in a year. You just have to be willing to bend over and pick it up.

You just have to be willing to bend over and pick it up.

Buy one of those almond rollers. No bending.

New 9 brass and new super brass is about the same price. As was said, go to some steel matches and pick up brass. Or go to a few IDPA matches and pick up (or roll up) a lot of once-fired 9mm.

.40 Open guns have reduced mag capacity compared to 9/38 and much less choice in the lighter bullets which work a comp better. If 9mm brass was free or you loaded alot of that then 9mm makes sense. The .38SC has a wider range of suitable powders available, but if you find a powder which you really like for 9major just buy a crapload of it online. I shoot .38SC cause I get most of my brass back at locals and practice sessions. Have loaded my practice brass well over 10 times, lost track already. I'll probably lose the brass before I wear it out.

I shoot 38 Super because I like the larger rim, for more positive extraction. I don't mind looking for my brass, or buying some new brass once in a while.

And before anybody says anything about the mag capacity of 38 Super .... I'm getting a very, VERY reliable 29+1 in a couple of SV tubes I tuned & polished myself!

So I'm not giving up anything to 38SC or 9 major except maybe the price of the brass. And picking it up. I don't mind. :)

Edited by Chris Keen

I shoot the caliber most of the top guys shoot. 38 Supercomp.

Some of them get discounted and/or free ammo, but they wouldn't shoot it if it wasn't the best option.

Now, if you never plan to shoot at the level where things like that matter, then by all means shoot whatever..

9 has an advantage if you travel a lot or don't want to reload -- you can always get 9 locally and shoot Minor if you have to.

Had a Super. Converted it to 9. I buy once fired brass. I hate bending over. I shoot it someone else can have it. I do work big matches and you can pick up enough for your needs. I did this a couple years and now I don't even pick that up. Did I mention that I hate bending over.

Now the difference: it was easier to make major with the Super. The gun had a great impulse and in my opinion was a better round. The 9 is good. There are several powder

load comb's that get you to major. Maybe not as many, but

enough variety to make it a moot point on 9's viability.

Either one is not difficult to go major with safely, just more

options with .38.

Good powders with 9 that are available and fairly inexpensive are True Blue and Autocomp. Silhouette and the Vhit powders will do 9 major also. Right there is 4

choices and that by no means is an exhaustive list.

The ease of brass availability and how inexpensive you can reload 9 if you use pick up or buy once fired sells it for me.

I have reloaded the same major 9 brass over 5 times before leaving it lay or splitting a case. So if you pick up your brass you can get some life out of it.

I have reloaded .38 super brass up to 10-15 times and quit counting. It is very durable and most just shoot it until the

case splits. I'm sure I had some with 20 or more reloads

on it. If you are very diligent in picking it up then that in

itself will negate the extra money you'll spend buying .38

brass.

Did I mention that I hate picking up brass. I found that the time and energy I used to spend picking up all my brass is better used planning my next stage or bs'n with friends

Edited by Chris iliff

Hello: If you don't mind picking up your brass and can get most of it back go with 38 Supercomp. If you don't get most of your brass back or hate picking it up go with 9mm. I buy once fired brass for $30 thousand and still pick it up. I have reloaded some of it 5 times now and it still looks good. I know guys that have loaded 38 supercomp 10-20 times or untill it splits. Lastly 38 supercomp allows you to get one more round in a big stick over 9mm. Thanks, Eric

9 can shoot just as flat as 38 super. I think its a little more simple than it seams, if you want flat straight back recoil you will probably benefit from a big comp and poppleholes lots of a powder like 105 then 38 super is the way to go. If you don't mind a little flip up and down recoil then 9 major is fine. I shot both and used autocomp in both. People have seen my open gun shoot and comment on how flat it is shooting and its 9 major.

I bought a .38 Super 6 or 7 years ago, and haven't ever changed. I think I've probably still got some of the brass that came with the gun. I don't think I've ever worn out a piece of Super brass. They get lost long before that can happen.

To be honest, I don't want to switch to 9x19 because I'm lazy. I've got a couple of subguns, and they tend to chew up the brass a bit. I would have to keep my brass separated between my "pistol" brass and my SMG brass. Using a different caliber makes this much easier...

Edited by Garrett

A few months ago I talked to personnel at dawson and brazos, I was inquiring about converting my 38sc's over to 9major. After I hung up I decided to keep what I got and am glad. Go to someone that shoots and has extreme tech knowledge and then decide.

A few months ago I talked to personnel at dawson and brazos, I was inquiring about converting my 38sc's over to 9major. After I hung up I decided to keep what I got and am glad. Go to someone that shoots and has extreme tech knowledge and then decide.

And yet there are other prominent builders who are making butt loads of 9MAJOR guns that flat out run perfect.

Is there a caliber that is preferred in Open ?

I see a lot of talk about 9 Major, .38 SC

Guma, there "might" be a small advantage with the .38 iff

you are going to get really good at this sport (Master or

Grand Master Level) - might be, might not.

The advantage of 9mm Major is the brass (and some people

feel that is not much of an advantage anyway). If you

have a good, inexpensive source of once fired 9mm brass,

it should be a little easier to shoot 9mm Major. If you

don't, there's probably NO advantage to 9mm Major.

It's all very subjective. I know some excellent shooters

who shoot both .38 and others who shoot 9mm major - your

choice.

Good luck with it

I started with 9mm major, and have stayed with it for

four years - went 18 months one time without a single

malfunction of any type - the gun runs very well.

Jack

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. There truly is a lot there to digest.

I haven't started shooting anything yet. My wife and I just bought some property out in Frostproof and it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I realized Universal Shooting Academy was just down the road. I have always wanted to get into Comp shooting and this seems like a perfect opportunity to get involved. I will start with SS with my Kimber TLE II, but I already know I want to shoot Open. So I am doing as much reading as I can to make an informed decision about where to start when I do make the jump.

What did they say to change your mind? I have one right now being converted over...

Good luck with your choice! :cheers:

The "picking up brass" argument always cracks me up. Lets take this weekend for example. I (and my wife) drove 9 hours (one way) to attend the IPSC Nationals. We stayed in 3 hotels, filled up our truck 4 times, ate out for every meal, shot over 400 rounds combined, paid entry fees, hit an Outlet mall (dont ask), and I run my 5K gun. Does the price of my 38 Super brass really matter? Nothing about this sport is cheap! :roflol:

I've decided to go .38 SC for the ease of reloading (more powder choices, less case spillage) and not using unknown range brass pickup 9mm brass.

.38 will last longer than 9mm brass, but I think I'd lose it anyways.

But given the cost of everything else, if I pick up what I can (with the brass magnet) and lose some, oh well. That's $1.

My practice range is indoors, so I won't lose any there.

I have a STI 38SC major for USPSA. Had a 9mm minor top end built for it to shoot steel. Just swap top ends no other adjustment than different mags.

I'm happy, best of both worlds. Can always shoot 9mm minor in USPSA if I want; just got to shoot more A's. I'm not a 9mm major person.

I have a STI 38SC major for USPSA. Had a 9mm minor top end built for it to shoot steel. Just swap top ends no other adjustment than different mags.

I'm happy, best of both worlds. Can always shoot 9mm minor in USPSA if I want; just got to shoot more A's. I'm not a 9mm major person.

Why different mags?

I have a new Limmcat Flashcat in 9 mm. It is the flatest shooting open gun I have ever owned. Glad I am not having to try to find super or super comp brass right now, it seems to be non-existant. I never recovered more than about 50% of my brass at a match when I shot SC. With the 9 mm I just leave it on the ground.

My vote is 9 mm.

Glad I am not having to try to find super or super comp brass right now, it seems to be non-existant.

Wow Jaxs you had me concerned!!! :surprise: But I went from you post directly to Starline Brass..and found Super and Super Comp available and ready to ship. Why the misinformation???? Plenty of brass to be had. :goof: