Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help choosing a 1911 single stack for USPSA/IDPA/IPSC

Marc82Much

I want to add a 45ACP. I have the XDM 9mm 5.25. I could get the Springfield 45ACP XDM with a 5.25" barrel...a guy in my shooting league suggested the SA 1911 Trophy Match. Only shooting IPSC, USPSA and IDP. Not for defense, carry, etc. Just matches.

Why one over the other? Or should I go an entirely different route? I was looking at the DAN WESSON RZ-45 Heritage and the DAN WESSON VALOR. The valor is the more expensive at about $1,950, and that would be my upper limit.

Any other ideas? A gently used gun would work.

Thanks.

An STI Trojan will run you about a grand, and is a great gun for those sports. STI also has a contingency program.

Alex,

Thanks. I had no idea they were this affordable. Is STI direct the best source, or is there an online source that may have them in stock?

I have a new "contingency reward" plan. How about if they give me $100 NOT to wear their shirt. That would be money well spent!

You mentioned an XDm .45. In USPSA, it really only fits in L10 division, and even then I think .40s are probably better. For .45, go Single Stack, as it sounds like you are planning. i currently shoot a SA Trophy Match, and I like it. If I were to do it again, I think I'd likely try a STI Trojan, just based on reviews. I am happy with my TM though. Thinking of a .40 Trojan...

You're already loading 9mm, a small primer cartridge. The .40 would be an easy caliber conversion on your press since it's also a small primer. The .40 is much cheaper to reload for. A downside to .40 is they need a bit of extra gunsmith attention to run correctly. Both .40 and .45 deserve great magazines which are available for both. Don't skimp on magazines.

I personally think .40 is the way to go, I'm not a 1911/45 purist. I like the STI Trojan for a good value in .40 or .45. Put some grip tape on the front strap and you can compete all day long with that setup.

The .40/.45 is a contentious debate.

Check out the Les Baer in the Classifieds.

Richard

This is good advice, this way you can buy a gun that is already setup for competition.

From looking at the pictures it has a fiber optic front sight and a magwell.

Front-strap checkering too, since it is a Premier II model.

My Les Baer has always been great.

An STI Trojan will run you about a grand, and is a great gun for those sports. STI also has a contingency program.

Alex,

Thanks. I had no idea they were this affordable. Is STI direct the best source, or is there an online source that may have them in stock?

I have a new "contingency reward" plan. How about if they give me $100 NOT to wear their shirt. That would be money well spent!

Check Dawson Precision as they sell them at 10% under MSRP.

I'm very pleased with my Trojan in 9mm but expect to spend a little on options once you have the pistol. This will hold true in any pistol you select.

I have a couple of Kimbers in 45acp that I've also been pleased with but prefer the older design in 70 series over the newer ones with the firing pin block. Sometimes you can find a deal searching the gun shops or Gun Broker.

Les Baers pistols are one of the best priced in the top end custom 1911 in my mind.

Once you get into the top end price you might consider a STI 2011 Eagle with a bushing barrel. Easier to reload than single stack pistols and could be used in USPSA limited or IDPA ESP loaded down in 40S@W.

I run a gently used Les Baer Concept V, and I am nothing but happy. It runs when I don't mess up on ammo, and shoots better than I ever will. I would really recommend it as it is a dream semi custom. Picked mine up used for $900 and you'd be hard pressed to beat it at twice the price.

+1 to the Trojan recommendation. look into getting it from Brazos customs or Dawson precision as they'll do the trigger work for you and tune the guns before sending them out. if price doesn't matter, i'd probably go with a Les Baer.

My son has a 9mm Trojan which runs great and is very accurate. So when I was in the market for a 1911, I started out leaning toward the Trojan, but always kept a Les Baer in the back of my mind. One day I decided to put the question out on several forums asking for opinions from people who owned both a Trojan and a Les Baer. Only two people who owned both replied, and both recommended the Baer. I went with the Premier II, and am extremely happy with my choice. One of the most important features for a competition gun is that it keeps on running. While I think the STI's are great guns, I have personally seen several that required tweaking right out of the box. I have never seen or heard of that with a Baer, and mine has run flawlessly from day one.

My first 1911 was a Kimber, base price $1,200 then about $550 more at the gunsmith.

Then I got a Springfield Armory, base price $900 plus about $950 at the gunsmith.

Finally I got my Les Baer, $1,900.

It would have been cheaper to get the Les Baer first and be done with it.

I want to add a 45ACP. I have the XDM 9mm 5.25. I could get the Springfield 45ACP XDM with a 5.25" barrel...a guy in my shooting league suggested the SA 1911 Trophy Match. Only shooting IPSC, USPSA and IDP. Not for defense, carry, etc. Just matches.

Why one over the other? Or should I go an entirely different route? I was looking at the DAN WESSON RZ-45 Heritage and the DAN WESSON VALOR. The valor is the more expensive at about $1,950, and that would be my upper limit.

Any other ideas? A gently used gun would work.

Thanks.

My SA Trophy Match is real tigh and very relaible but the factory trigger was way too heavy. I finally repaced the innards with a C&S 3.5 lb set. My Dan Wesson Pointman came with a full length rib, adjustable sights and a great factory trigger right out of the box. Both guns are equally reliable and accurate.

buy from Dawson Precision, spend the $200 for the enhancement package, the front strap is scalloped on the Trojan and does not need grip tape. When you buy from Dave Dawson, you get him with the gun. The gun will always run for you from now on or he will see that it does.....no BS and great customer service. The customer service is not always there at the higher priced stores. We have two eagles, Traojan and an Edge, all from DP, no hiccups.

I run the DW Heritage .45ACP in SS, USPSA and a STI Edge .40 in Limited, the DW is incredibly accurate and needed little work to tune up for competition, same thing with the STI, they both are outstanding in form-fit-function and reliability has been perfect. They are both similiar in platform, however perform in their respective class exceptionally.

However, the STI did take much more work on the MAGS to get them to run right I will say.

I will most likely get the DW Pointman in 9mm or the STI Trojan / Spartan for Steel CHallenge,...you can't go wrong either way,...