Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Monica's Range Diary

monicataliani

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monica

Your shooting is looking much smoother, better movement and shooting pace. However, you need to work on the reload keeping the gun up and in front of your face. Rewatch the videos, you are flipping the gun out to the right just above waist level. Keep it up and stright back. Watch Grandmaster Travis Tomasie in the links below.

Speed reload

Mark

Edited by mda

Monica

Your shooting is looking much smoother, better movement and shooting pace. However, you need to work on the reload keeping the gun up and in front of your face. Rewatch the videos, you are flipping the gun out to the right just above waist level. Keep it up and stright back.

They were pretty bad!!! :sick: I have been working on reloads a ridiculous amount, it just doesn't seem to be sticking! :blink: Thanks!!!

Monica

Your shooting is looking much smoother, better movement and shooting pace. However, you need to work on the reload keeping the gun up and in front of your face. Rewatch the videos, you are flipping the gun out to the right just above waist level. Keep it up and stright back.

They were pretty bad!!! :sick: I have been working on reloads a ridiculous amount, it just doesn't seem to be sticking! :blink: Thanks!!!

try videoing some of your dry fire. I find it helps point out little stuff like that.

Did a bunch (I lost count) of reps for drills 14-21. I am going to finish the rest of the match drills section tomorrow with the plate rack section I am planning to do. I am too tired to do any more tonight! Good night!

EK- I am totally planning on videoing some practice. I am curious to see if I am actually practicing mag changes the proper way!

I finished up my remaining drills from yesterday and did the section for today (22-38.) I found that today it was best for me to only do 1/2 with the timer. I was really getting way too caught up in the time of it all and wasn't giving it an honest try. I was rushing shots and really allowing myself to be pretty unreasonable with what I was deeming a shot on each target. That is why I just ended up not using the timer for some of my reps. I also learned a super important lesson. I was able to replicate that rushed "I have to go faster!" feeling that I get when I am at matches, and more so when I am shooting classifiers. By doing this I realized that my nice, smooth, automatic movements for these drills went straight out the window when I was thinking about the timer. I was eventually (like on the last 2 drills) able to rein it back in and not rush myself and I went back to being consistent. I need to remember this lesson next time I am at a match and feel like I need to go faster. I ended up wasting a ton of time because of fumbled mag changes and jerky motions than what it would have taken me to do it right in the first place.

Edited by monicataliani

Monica, I've had similar experience rushing when using the timer during practice. I've got my strong arm in a sling right now so I can't do anything but weak hand only drills, but, in February, I get to start over with the drills, including draws. I will do them without the timer a lot before going back to the timer.

Joe

For better follow through in dry fire, I always suggest to take an EXTRA sight picture before leaving a a target for any reason.

Reloads... Use some red and white finger nail polish to paint a barber poll on the inside of your magwell (try a search with my name in the gallery). It's not legal for Production, so use it as a training aid and remove it before a match. The idea is to give your eye a positive index point. To see the barber poll, you will need to have the gun up and in position.

I'd add movement to your dry fire reloading drills.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This is the first time since starting my range diary that I haven't kept up with it. I don't remember what all I did so I am just starting over with this week. Monday night I did the Miamisburg shoot. Tonight I did section 1 of SA. I will post videos maybe tomorrow.

Wow! This is the first time since starting my range diary that I haven't kept up with it. I don't remember what all I did so I am just starting over with this week. Monday night I did the Miamisburg shoot. Tonight I did section 1 of SA. I will post videos maybe tomorrow.

Video will show how is going your shot work's ;)

Are you still having issues with extraction?

A new extractor may help but you may also want to polish the chamber. It may sound a little crazy but take a bronze bore brush, chuck it up in a cordless drill and use it to polish the chamber...that usually cures the FTE's in an M&P assuming the extractor if clean and functioning correctly.

Are you still having issues with extraction?

A new extractor may help but you may also want to polish the chamber. It may sound a little crazy but take a bronze bore brush, chuck it up in a cordless drill and use it to polish the chamber...that usually cures the FTE's in an M&P assuming the extractor if clean and functioning correctly.

I have been hearing things about that solution! I am going with a shotgun approach with this one! I am changing the extractor and then am going to find a gunsmith to polish the chamber! I am not going to try that one on my own! ;)

First I wanted to say "Hi"

Second, If you are having Failure to Extract problems on an M&P be sure to have your gunsmith change out the extractor spring and clean out from under it. I had some issues with FTE's last year and this fixed my problems. All of these fixes are easy to do and shouldn't cost that much. Let me know if you want help with it. The whole thing shouldn't take more than an hour.

you have to reload with the "MAGWELL" at you eyes level...

the hand has a more natural line to insert the magazine..

and you dont have to down and up the gun but just aim..

but ... Good WOrk

at the end how many A?

Edited by AlexOsensei

First I wanted to say "Hi"

Second, If you are having Failure to Extract problems on an M&P be sure to have your gunsmith change out the extractor spring and clean out from under it. I had some issues with FTE's last year and this fixed my problems. All of these fixes are easy to do and shouldn't cost that much. Let me know if you want help with it. The whole thing shouldn't take more than an hour.

Hi Dan!!! :D

As far as us working on my M&P to get it straightened out... ummmmm YES!!!! I am planning on tweaking and polishing every bit of it I can. I REALLY want to keep shooting it! Although...I decided if I switch guns I am going to switch to limited. It is a shame that there is an awesome 2011 just sitting in the safe!!! ;)

Monica;

You have certainly come a long way with your shooting. Your reloads on Monday night looked great and your movement was smooth. Hope to shoot with you this Spring. Keep up the practice and you certainly have a love for the sport. See you at the range. Don

Edited by KermitShooter

Monica;

You have certainly come a long way with your shooting. Your reloads on Monday night looked great and your movement was smooth. Hope to shoot with you this Spring. Keep up the practice and you certainly have a love for the sport. See you at the range. Don

Hi Don!!! Thanks! :cheers: I totally miss shooting with you! Can't wait until spring! :D

Did section 2 again tonight. I have to be honest... I am getting kinda frustrated (I know that this comes as a HUGE surprise to any one who knows me since I would NEVER be frustrated by something with shooting... :devil: or be sarcastic either... LOL) that my mag changes aren't happening the way I practice them at home when I am at a competition. I practice all my mag changes up at eye level, and still, somehow it never transfers... They are getting much better, but they are not the way I practice them! I also even have an improper grip on the new mag in the videos (thanks for the heads up Colin!) when I have the chipped pink nail polish (because I totally frequently smash my finger) on my guide finger to prove that I am doing it right in practice!

Did section 2 again tonight. I have to be honest... I am getting kinda frustrated (I know that this comes as a HUGE surprise to any one who knows me since I would NEVER be frustrated by something with shooting... :devil: or be sarcastic either... LOL) that my mag changes aren't happening the way I practice them at home when I am at a competition. I practice all my mag changes up at eye level, and still, somehow it never transfers... They are getting much better, but they are not the way I practice them! I also even have an improper grip on the new mag in the videos (thanks for the heads up Colin!) when I have the chipped pink nail polish (because I totally frequently smash my finger) on my guide finger to prove that I am doing it right in practice!

Once something is ingrained into muscle memory, it takes thousands or repetitions to change it. Under stress (like the time in between BEEEEEEP and "If you are finished...") we revert to that muscle memory. If you are seeing improvement and you are practicing perfectly, the change will come, just keep working at it.

Edited by CMV