10 slow dry fires from farther back

10 slow draw + dry fire from hands at sides

10 fast draw + dry fire from hands at sides

10 slow draw + dry fire from surrender

10 fast draw + dry fire from surrender

10 slow draw + dry fire from table

10 dry fires strong hand only

10 dry fires weak hand only

*All these were alternating between a target slightly to the left and a target slightly to the right.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11-13-11 Shot Silver Creek Match- Awesome day! I didn't do well as far as ranking are concerned but I don't really care! I made an important step- I slowed myself down and didn't push too hard.

11-14-11 Shot Monday night practice at Miamisburg- This was really fun! I again focused on not pushing myself too hard.

11-15-11 No practice for me tonight. I am going to bed!

11-16-11 Practice-

20 slow dry fires just to warm up

10 dry fires strong hand only

10 dry fires weak hand only

10 slow draw + dry fire from hands at sides

10 fast draw + dry fire from hands at sides

10 slow draw + dry fire from surrender

10 fast draw + dry fire from surrender

10 slow turn and draw + dry fire from surrender

10 fast turn and draw + dry fire from surrender

5 runs of mag changes through my entire belt of mags

I was planning on changing it up this week and moving on, but I am not feeling so great and completely uninspired. Hopefully after a good night's sleep I will feel better! I need to be ready for the match on Sunday!

Also, I FINALLY became classified! It took forever because I kept zeroing out on classifiers! Now onto my new goal- becoming a C!

Yep, I'll be there. Can someone post the address or send me a PM?

And Monica, it's common for an increased training schedule to produce some "trying" at matches.

What can happen is that some shooters, after spending a bunch of time and energy working on their skills, will want to "show then off" if only to themselves.

Maybe you'll want to smoke the reload or get a blazing draw on the classifier... :)

This is best avoided if possible. The benefit of dry fire is committing these acts to the subconscioous so you DON'T have to think about them at all. They just happen.

I'm very pleased that you're practicing more and I guarantee you will see results, just please don't TRY to manifest them.

Just shoot alphas and let you body take care of everything else.

Hi Monica, keep on training.. I am newbie too.

I was watching your last video, and I saw your mags change.

If I can say anything, Keep the gun up.

I know because I made the same mistake.

I am involved in standard division in IPSC italy

and started this october.

ps:I was thinking to entry in range Diary too.. eheh..

I was watching your last video, and I saw your mags change

ps:I was thinking to entry in range Diary too.. eheh..

Thanks! I am working on that! I have been practicing my mag changes up every night, it just hasn't transferred when I am doing it at the matches!

You should definitely try a range diary!

Hello Monica,

I just watched your post 63 and 64 vides again, a couple of points:

- on the standards stage, watch your draw to keeling (second string) Watch the motion of your gun, is it more up and out or more out and up(scooping)? Then watch the Dave S video (second video) watch his draws. When you use a more up and out draw, you have more time in the draw stroke to acquire the sights. It also makes it easier to stop the gun if your last motion is more out than up. A way to practice this is to reverse the draw stroke.

As far as reloads, both videos may help. Practice with just your strong hand, pull your elbow into your ribcage keeping the gun up and centered on your body, and add the rotation.

Take videos of yourself doing dry fire and compare them to the videos below. If you think you are doing something correctly during dry fire but it doesn't transfer to a match then you either haven't burned it into your brain enough or you are doing it wrong during dry fire. It’s easy to think you are doing something a certain way but you really don’t know until you see it on video.

My link

Keep at it,

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Thanks guys! I love all the great advice! I will def. try videoing my dry fire! That way I can make sure that I am practicing correctly! I have a ton of videos from matches I need to post. I have been so busy shooting and practicing I have neglected my posting duties! LOL! I will try to do it over Thanksgiving break!

Last nights news, said it wasn't gonna rain until after noon tomorrow.

Hmm, News this morning says rain overnight and into tomorrow? I guess we are far enough away that it could be a little different.

Last nights news, said it wasn't gonna rain until after noon tomorrow.

Hmm, News this morning says rain overnight and into tomorrow? I guess we are far enough away that it could be a little different.

Eewww! Just checked the weather and it said rain all day! At least it is not supposed to be too cold! :D (Kevin- I put that smile there just for you since you always laugh at me for smiling all the time! ;) )

It was a really fun weekend! I did a lot of shooting, and once again, learned a ton!

Saturday (11-19-11) did live fire drills with Chris. He had me work on transitioning between shooting areas without lowering the gun while on the move. He also had me work on draws and bill drills. I didn't realize how much I look at things other than targets. I also didn't know how important it will be to incorporate a timer into my dry fire practice. While all the slow stuff is great for learning the motions, I really need to also work on getting that motion immediately when the timer goes off.

Sunday (11-20-11) Miamisburg November Match-

I had a really good time while shooting, but I did let my mistakes get under my skin a bit. BUT- I didn't let them until AFTER the match was over. I am pretty sure I haven't really said more than 2 words since I left the match! This is kind of a victory on its own because normally if I make a mistake, I am unable to get past it and try to "make it up" on the next stage. I just put all of it out of my head until the car ride home.

After yesterday's range session I was really aware of how much I am looking around (at my mags, at even my holster at one point- which I don't know exactly what I was trying to see???) while shooting. (I am really curious and am going to go back and watch old videos to see if this holster watching was an isolated incident or if it is a habit I was never aware of.) Looking at stuff other than the targets was also pointed out by some of my squad, and you better believe I have cringed more than a couple times watching the videos. It made me realize how hard it is to make things automatic. I have been practicing mag changes non stop and while they are getting so, so much better, I am still looking at them sometimes. I never look at them in practice. I just don't know where all of that stuff goes during matches! It is like I lose all the sense I have! And it seems like the longer I keep shooting, the more I learn, but also the more things I realize I am doing wrong!!! I really admire all of you good shooters because at this point I feel like I am grasping at straws. It seems like there is no possible way to keep all of this things together simultaneously.

I am definitely not trying to be negative, because there were a lot of good things that I did. I am really doing a much better job on the mag changes despite looking at them sometimes. I am tightening up my shots (less D's and M's) while still trying to go quickly, and even though somehow all the things I have practiced go straight out the window as soon as the timer goes off, I have really been able to focus on just trying to get good hits, as opposed to being obsessed with going faster. I for sure have a plan laid out for my practice all week to try to combat some of this. All in all it was a fun day and I can't wait to go to the Monday night shoot at Miamisburg!