Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Monica's Range Diary

monicataliani

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Monica, there are a million tips out there; here is another one specifically for match performance.

If you suffer from rapid heartbeat/heartbeat in your throat moments before you shoot, try some breathing exercises. I start mine when the shooter before me is shooting; deep breaths, 3 seconds to breath in, 3 seconds hold, 3 seconds to breath out, 3 seconds to hold, repeat (this is a pretty standard breath control exercise, I forget where I got it). It kind of gives the anxious part of your mind something to do while you are visualizing the stage before you shoot. We can't control our heart rate (most of us can't) but controlling breathing helps calm you overall and I think reduces the “throat heartbeat”.

Since you dedicate time to dry fire; if you haven’t looked at Ben Stoeger’s dry fire program it’s a must for maximizing the value of dry fire.My link

Like I said, just one of a million tips.

David E.

Be advised, see Dave's rule #1 below. I am probably not better than you ever want to be.

Edited by Nuke8401

If you suffer from rapid heartbeat/heartbeat in your throat moments before you shoot, try some breathing exercises.

Since you dedicate time to dry fire; if you haven’t looked at Ben Stoeger’s dry fire program it’s a must for maximizing the value of dry fire.My link

Thanks for your feedback. I surprisingly have been pretty cool about going up and making ready. I have never had any of this nervousness stuff before last match. Usually I am so focused on making ready and making sure my equipment is correct, then I am focused on moving the second I hear that beep, I don't have any time to hear/pay attention to anything else! I usually take one big breath and let it out before they ask if I am ready. I will pay attention at my next match and see if I have it again.

No I haven't checked out any books. I definitely need to though. I need a lot more structure to my practice. As of late I have been drilling mag changes because I feel like that is one of the more immediate areas (of the very, very many things I need to work on) that I can improve.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Edited by monicataliani

Circleville 11/5/11 and Oxford 11/6/11 Match Reflections-

I had the greatest weekend! It was unfortunately closing weekend for 2 clubs for the winter, but I got to go to 2 really great matches! I got to try out shooting from atop railroad ties, see-saws, and shaky bridges, encountered memory stages, and more moving targets than I could count. It was AWESOME!!!! :goof: I know that I scored poorly in comparison to other shooters, and I could use my time on the forum to devote to looking at all the mistakes I made (lockbacks, FTEs, no shoots, and so many mikes that one rather witty score keeper (yes you Ralph) started saying Monica instead of Mike!) but while that stuff is good to recognize and learn from, it is not the most important part of what happened. I really want to focus on the things that went well. I definitely had much better mag changes- on the run! All the practice paid off! I didn't look and/or think about them at all. I also can not believe that the same shooter in the videos from this weekend is the same one who as of July had never done a mag change or had never drawn from a holster. I also ended today by finding out that despite my lack luster placement in match results, I had my last classifier for the season being my first C! (Which those of you who shoot in the same circuit know that it was my goal to get a C!)(Only what, 5 more to go to become a C??) I am beyond excited! I can't wait to practice tomorrow night! AND put together my calendar of Steel Matches and possibly IDPA Matches to fill in the gaps when there are no USPSA ones to go to.

Congrats on a big step.

I didn't look and/or think about them at all.

It’s when you have practiced enough to get all the gun handling, shooting, shot calling into this same place in your mind, which I call the “automatic box”, so that you can use the thinking part of your brain to concentrate on the stage design, reload points, and other things that take conscious thought such as moving your point of aim to a different location on partial or non-vertical targets. The more dry-fire type practice you do the more things you can put in the “automatic box”.

Caution - It is much easier to get things into the automatic box (repeat something 1000 times) than to modify or remove them. It is important to learn/practice things “correctly” if there is such a thing. See Dave’s rule #1.

Ben Stoeger’s dry fire program is free and posted on this forum, see link on my other post. Just in case you don’t know, he is the current/new USPSA Production Champion.

If I were going to take pistol shooting advice, it would be from him.

You can really make progress when you get all this “stuff” to happen without thought.

The fun comes when your conscious mind turns into the “observer”, time slows and you literally watch and talk to yourself while shooting.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Circleville 11/5/11 and Oxford 11/6/11 Match Reflections-

I had the greatest weekend! It was unfortunately closing weekend for 2 clubs for the winter, but I got to go to 2 really great matches! I got to try out shooting from atop railroad ties, see-saws, and shaky bridges, encountered memory stages, and more moving targets than I could count. It was AWESOME!!!! :goof: I know that I scored poorly in comparison to other shooters, and I could use my time on the forum to devote to looking at all the mistakes I made (lockbacks, FTEs, no shoots, and so many mikes that one rather witty score keeper (yes you Ralph) started saying Monica instead of Mike!) but while that stuff is good to recognize and learn from, it is not the most important part of what happened. I really want to focus on the things that went well. I definitely had much better mag changes- on the run! All the practice paid off! I didn't look and/or think about them at all. I also can not believe that the same shooter in the videos from this weekend is the same one who as of July had never done a mag change or had never drawn from a holster. I also ended today by finding out that despite my lack luster placement in match results, I had my last classifier for the season being my first C! (Which those of you who shoot in the same circuit know that it was my goal to get a C!)(Only what, 5 more to go to become a C??) I am beyond excited! I can't wait to practice tomorrow night! AND put together my calendar of Steel Matches and possibly IDPA Matches to fill in the gaps when there are no USPSA ones to go to.

We don't stop shooting down here! Granted its a pretty good drive from Dayton.

We don't stop shooting down here! Granted its a pretty good drive from Dayton.

What clubs do you shoot at all winter? I am definitely looking them up!

The ones I travel to are:

BGSL on the first sunday for USPSA

BGSL on the Second Sat for Steel Challenge

Silver Creek on the Second Sun for USPSA

BGSL on the 3rd Sat for IDPA

Gun Warehouse and Range (INDOORS) on the 3rd Sunday.

:blush: I accidentally spent 40+ minutes practicing tonight when I was aiming for 20 (not counting cleaning and video watching/analyzing.) I saw the post about Ben Stoeger's Dry Fire Practice and decided to give it a shot (no pun intended :P ) I ended up using the ideas but went a little different direction with some of it. I plugged in my ipod and was totally tuned out to the rest of the world. Before I knew it I had been practicing for a really long time! Here is what I ended up doing. I think I am going to follow this the rest of the week. Advice on any changes I should make is welcome!

10 slow dry fires just to warm up

10 slow draw + dry fire from hands at sides

10 fast draw + dry fire from hands at sides

10 slow draw + dry fire from surrender

10 fast draw + dry fire from surrender

10 slow turn and draw + dry fire from surrender

10 fast turn and draw + dry fire from surrender

10 slow draw from hands at sides and dry fire while walking straight

10 slow draw from surrender and dry fire while walking diagonal to the right

10 slow draw from surrender and dry fire while walking diagonal to the right

5 runs of mag changes through my entire belt of mags

Does anyone have any good advice or timing instructions on the turn and draw. I don't want to practice incorrectly and want to avoid drawing too early in the turn and ending up with a 180 violation.

Get your eyes on the first target ASAP as you turn. It works like a really wide target transition, get your eyes on it and the pistol will get on target as well.

As far as staying safe, I get my drawing grip as normal but don't draw until my non-pivot foot is nearly back on the ground. I think if you prioritize getting your eyes on the target and turning, the draw will always be safe. If you prioritize the draw, bad things will happen.

On all starts that require movement before shooting, I try to focus on moving ASAP at the the buzzer sounds and a turn and draw is no exception. On a stand and shoot start, I'm focused on getting the hand to the grip before the buzzer stops, in other words I'm focusing on the draw.

To quote Flexmoney ........ "The Search Tool Is Your Friend". :)

Try the link below for starters. I'm sure there are others.

http://www.brianenos...=1

Here's another one by the one and only! :rolleyes:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134952&st=0&p=27554&hl=turn&fromsearch=1entry27554

Edited by Chris Keen

So there many ways to do the turn and draw, I am definitely not the fastest by any means.

Things I would concentrate on:

Group the actions:

Do these 3 at the same time - head snap (eyes to target), starting the foot movement (whichever method you choose) and initial grip on the gun.

As soon as your body/gun/muzzle is safely past the 180 draw, two hand grip, as you bring the gun up prep the trigger. I assume you are prepping the trigger now as part of your draw stroke? So that the instant you have an acceptable sight picture you can break the shot.

As soon as you are in position to shoot an "A", trigger press. This will most likely be after your feet are in the final position in the beginning. Later you may be able to fire as you are settling into the final stance.

I think in the beginning your foot movement will have less impact on your time than other factors. Once you have the other parts down you can experiment with foot movement and a timer to determine your fastest way.

As others have said, eyes on the target as soon as possible, all else follows.

David E.

11-8-11 Practice- Same as yesterday. Is it sad that I am starting to LIKE dry fire practice? :wub:

BTW Thanks for all the help and links on the turn and draw. I felt much better about practicing it today! (I will remember to do a search before I ask next time! :P )

Edited by monicataliani

Practice 11-9-11 Changed up a couple tiny details. I know that I have gotten stuck on some of the rough ideas of Ben S's first section and turned it into a 40 minute practice, but I really felt like it would serve me best to skill and drill this stuff every day for about a week to lock some of it in. A lot of these motions and sequences are so new that I am really trying to build a foundation. Here is what I did today...

10 slow draw from hands at sides and dry fire while walking straight

10 slow draw from surrender and dry fire while walking sideways to the right

10 slow draw from surrender and dry fire while walking sideways to the left

5 runs of mag changes through my entire belt of mags done slowly

5 runs of mag changes through my entire belt of mags done quickly

Edited by monicataliani

Practice 11-11-11 I feel like a slacker since I took yesterday off and only did 15 min today...

10 slow dry fires from farther back

5 dry fires from strong hand only

5 dry fires from weak hand only