Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Monica's Range Diary

monicataliani

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin,

To answer your question, I wonder what division my Open gun would fall under?

I think its stock service pistol, you havent modified it and it still stock...right?

Good point. I have not done a thing to it since I got it!

Okay. Now that I have tried Steve's book I am even more excited! I read the entire book, then practiced, and now that I have questions I am going to read it again. For practice tonight all I did was ran through 5 reps of drills 1-14 without a timer at a moderate pace (not slow motion but slow enough to make sure I was doing it correctly.) I was just trying to get a feel for the drills and the focus of each one tonight. I also didn't have correct targets. I will be making those first thing tomorrow. I felt like my practice (even though it was day 1 and I was just trying to get an understanding of the program) was well rounded and focused on a lot of skills I need to improve upon. I can not wait to try the rest of the drills and also try out 1-14 again!

I think the best thing for me is that I have a LOT of skills I need to practice. Being a new shooter I really don't know a good way to incorporate all of those skill into a training program. I would look at other really great training programs but get kinda overwhelmed because I didn't really understand the focus or exactly what I was supposed to be doing. This one really seems to click for me. I can't wait to go to Lowes and buy the stuff to build my start boxes and make my targets! :)

Edited by monicataliani

I tried out drills 15-28 (no timer) today for the first time! I didn't end up making all my targets and boxes until yesterday and put them up today. But they were totally worth it. I really enjoyed these drills although they are going to be the most difficult for me I think. They are all about match skills and a lot of them focus on movement. I look forward to trying them again!

Did drills 1-14 today. I did 6 reps for each drill, starting from the left 3 and right 3. Well, kinda. There were several times that I got really over zealous and would move on when I knew it wasn't a good shot, so I would make myself redo it if I wasn't doing it correctly. This led to many more than 6 reps on some of the drills. I really liked using the timer with this. I am glad I did these drills a few times without it, to make sure I knew what I was doing, but it was a lot more fun with the timer. B)

I went to the Miamisburg Monday night practice last night. I went in with the intent of shooting as many a's as possible and NOTHING else. I really wanted to try to apply all the skills that I had been learning in my dry fire practice. I went super slow but I had much better hits than I normally have been having. The only thing that sucked was I had yet another failure to extract. I have had half a dozen of them so far. I am not posting the video from string 3 because that is where it happened unless someone thinks seeing it would help with something!

Gun problems are frustrating. Perhaps an aftermarket extractor is in your future?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136287

I hate to throw money at the problem, but this seems to be a common complaint of M&P owners and seems to be more common with reloaded ammo with their slightly abused case rims. It's happened to one friend in particular with new ammo, but it went away without any work being done (I assume a chip of brass was stuck in the extractor and it eventually cleared itself). Still, it's happened enough that even I'm aware of the issue and I'm not even an M&P owner.

Gun problems are frustrating. Perhaps an aftermarket extractor is in your future?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136287

I hate to throw money at the problem, but this seems to be a common complaint of M&P owners and seems to be more common with reloaded ammo with their slightly abused case rims. It's happened to one friend in particular with new ammo, but it went away without any work being done (I assume a chip of brass was stuck in the extractor and it eventually cleared itself). Still, it's happened enough that even I'm aware of the issue and I'm not even an M&P owner.

I usually do not think that buying new parts and switching guns is the answer to shooting problems but... I am already shopping for a new extractor! I also am looking into a couple other things as well. I firmly believe in just picking one gun and sticking with it, but honestly in this case I am not sure what I will do. I absolutely love my M&P. Before shooting competitions, it was the gun I was most accurate with (with no practice at all.) So I very much feel that it is probably the best match for me. I am going to try to fix this, but like you said gun problems are frustrating. If this doesn't get resolved and I have any more failures I am gonna move on. I know that it will set me back a bit, but I would rather have to relearn on another gun than always wonder if my gun is going to work 100%. I am planning on doing a bit of dry and live fire with a Glock and I have an XD 9 Tactical that I am gonna try out as well. I am going to wait to do this until after I check out some options to having this problem fixed. It is such a shame because I really don't want to switch, but it is what it is.

Monica,

Talk to Dan Carter. I'm pretty sure he replaced his extractor. I'm sure he can offer some insight. I've never had that issue with my 9L fortunately. I've shot 9k+ rounds through it this year with zero issues. Good luck.

Or ....just make the inevitable switch to Glock! My G34 has run flawlessly for me since I switched last August.

Beat me to it! I can tell you are a racer.

Monica, this is exactly what drove me away from the M&P. I loved how the gun pointed and felt in my hands. I loved how it shot but I had so many problems with it that I lost confidence in the platform.

I shot my 34 for almost two years and never ever had a malfunction. That is the kind of reliability one needs to have to gain confidence in this game. There are enough speed bumps along the way. Every one you can avoid is one step closer to your goals.

That being said, I sent mine to S&W for free and they fixed it for free. There are a few threads on the M&P's shortcomings and what people have done as a result. Kenny at SSS (speed shooters specialties) has made available several aftermarket parts to keep it running if you don't want to send the gun away.

Of course, somebody will come along in a minute and tell you I am not being fair to the M&P. And of course, their's runs perfect, yadda, yadda.

Good luck with your new G34.ph34r.gif

Make sure u try to get in there with a small screwdriver and a swab...the extractor can get gummed up pretty quick and is hard to see all the dirt till you pry it out a little. I use a cotten patch and wedge it in there with a fairly small screwdriver. I have 9000 rnds of reloads thru mine with the original extractor still working fine.

Make sure u try to get in there with a small screwdriver and a swab...the extractor can get gummed up pretty quick and is hard to see all the dirt till you pry it out a little. I use a cotten patch and wedge it in there with a fairly small screwdriver. I have 9000 rnds of reloads thru mine with the original extractor still working fine.

+1

If you like shooting a 2x4 switch to Glock! :roflol:

Glock boys trying to pollute Monica's range diary! :sight:

More like:

If you like winning, shoot a G34. If you like failure drills, shoot an M&P. :goof:

goof.gif

Beat me to it! I can tell you are a racer.

Monica, this is exactly what drove me away from the M&P. I loved how the gun pointed and felt in my hands. I loved how it shot but I had so many problems with it that I lost confidence in the platform.

Same here, loved everything about the gun except the fact it would let me down at the worst time. At every big match I shot with my Pro I had at least 1 FTE.

Definitely look into a aftermarket extractor.

OMG you guys are brutal!!! :devil::surprise: There are far too many quotable things that you have all written for me to even begin replying to them. All I can say is ridiculous!!! Like I posted earlier, I am gonna give it one more shot (yeah, pun intended, but it may be literally depending on how long it takes it to jam up again! hehehe!) I really, really love my M&P. I also really want to be serious about shooting and start doing bigger matches. I really don't want to get into major matches and have to worry about something like my gun malfunctioning. I know I am not at the major match level yet, but that is why I want to switch now, over winter. I would have plenty of time to get used to my new gun! Thanks for all the posts and all the laughs! You all rock!