Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Monica's Range Diary

monicataliani

Monica don't be frustrated. You just got into this sport this year. I was just awful for the first 2 or 3 years after I started. Mostly because I didn't have a plan. I wasn't working on specific skills, I would just go to the range and "practice" (just shoot). And I wasn't keeping track of my goals, and successes.

I didn't have a training plan. But you DO! B)

Keep up the dry-fire. :cheers:

(PS remind me to show you some scores from when I first started, and you'll laugh for a week, I was so bad!)

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday (11-20-11) Miamisburg November Match-

I had a really good time while shooting, but I did let my mistakes get under my skin a bit. BUT- I didn't let them until AFTER the match was over. I am pretty sure I haven't really said more than 2 words since I left the match! This is kind of a victory on its own because normally if I make a mistake, I am unable to get past it and try to "make it up" on the next stage. I just put all of it out of my head until the car ride home. Poor Jonathan!biggrin.gif

WOW you and I must be worlds apart when it comes to the mental aspect of this sport. If I let things bother me that much I would probably stop shooting. It's just not worth it to be that upset over a game. I understand wanting to get good at any sport or game but not at the expense of my mental well being. If I went to Nationals and DQ'd on day one you bet I'd be pretty upset over it, but for making mistakes in a local match after only shooting for a few months?

at this point I feel like I am grasping at straws. It seems like there is no possible way to keep all of this things together simultaneously. So what's your point? Happens to me all the time.laugh.gifSeriously, you can do all the drills and dry fire you want but there is nothing like match experience to make things start coming together.

all the things I have practiced go straight out the window as soon as the timer goes off, This has to be the number one thing us shooters have in common. All in all it was a fun day Exactly how it should be!

I can't wait to go to the Monday night shoot at Miamisburg! See you there.

Take total advantage of Chris' offers to help. He is one of the best. I must not smile as much as you because he never offers to help me with anything!rolleyes.gif

It helps me to write about important details from each stage of the match. It's amazing to me how much I really remember after shooting all day. My memories are what I use to tweak my dryfire practice.

I've also been visualizing complicated stages once I get home from matches. I think it's been the single biggest factor in improving my stage prep come match day. Deconstructing my stages after I get home is a way to practice my visualization skills and also critiquing the plan I used for a stage. I think this has really helped me plan stages better and in less time, that cuts down on the pre-stage jitters a lot.

It helps me to write about important details from each stage of the match. It's amazing to me how much I really remember after shooting all day. My memories are what I use to tweak my dryfire practice.

I've also been visualizing complicated stages once I get home from matches. I think it's been the single biggest factor in improving my stage prep come match day. Deconstructing my stages after I get home is a way to practice my visualization skills and also critiquing the plan I used for a stage. I think this has really helped me plan stages better and in less time, that cuts down on the pre-stage jitters a lot.

These are excellent points. During my golfing years the best technique was to hit a few balls to warm up. Play the round and then go to the practice area and work on your weaknesses for that day. Worked really well.

These are excellent points. During my golfing years the best technique was to hit a few balls to warm up. Play the round and then go to the practice area and work on your weaknesses for that day. Worked really well.

WOW! Nice. I really wish we could shoot stages over again (for NO-score, like a practice) after the match was over, and work out our weaknesses. That would be super. :)

Problem is you don't have to tear down the golf course / driving range after you're done. ;)

Poor Jonathan! Jonathan is actually pretty lucky when it comes to this because when I get mad or upset, I usually want nothing to do with talking about it. The worst it gets is me venting on my range diary!!! LOL!

WOW you and I must be worlds apart when it comes to the mental aspect of this sport. If I let things bother me that much I would probably stop shooting. It's just not worth it to be that upset over a game. I understand wanting to get good at any sport or game but not at the expense of my mental well being. If I went to Nationals and DQ'd on day one you bet I'd be pretty upset over it, but for making mistakes in a local match after only shooting for a few months?

I am not really all that upset, just a little frustrated about some of the stuff I did. Especially stuff that I had been working so hard on (Mag changes!!!) I just had to let a little steam off about it, and now it is over and I am back to smiling! I usually go running to let off steam instead of ranting in my range diary but it was raining and dark outside. If I didn't get frustrated about shooting once in a while it would mean I wasn't trying/didn't care!

See you there. Can't wait!!!

It's like in that movie "Legally Blonde" with Reese Witherspoon ..... when the Law Prof. said .... "Her resume is pink?"

:rolleyes::roflol:

Ridiculous! Can I ask why you can quote Legally Blonde???? :excl:

Although 9/10 of everything I own is pink! It is only a matter of time until I get around to the M&P... B)

Last nights news, said it wasn't gonna rain until after noon tomorrow.

Hmm, News this morning says rain overnight and into tomorrow? I guess we are far enough away that it could be a little different.

Eewww! Just checked the weather and it said rain all day! At least it is not supposed to be too cold! :D (Kevin- I put that smile there just for you since you always laugh at me for smiling all the time! ;) )

OK, so we did have some stupid rain today Kevin, but like Monica said it wasn't cold, so actually it wasn't too bad. :) We got to shoot outside first, so we got it done early and out of the way. Kinda gave you some first-hand experience shooting in the rain, but not all day, and not a real heavy downpour either.

I have shot at the very minimum ..... 2 AREA 5's in the rain, 2 AREA 6's in the rain, 2 AREA 8's in the rain, and 2 Limited NATIONALS in the P-O-U-R-I-N-G-D-O-W-N-R-A-I-N !!! The 2 Nationals I'm talking about were in Tulsa, and were officially nick-named the "Mud Bowl" Nationals, they both had so much rain. New SOD & a Monsoon do not play well together. This years AREA 5 match was a consistent DOWNPOUR for 2 days, so it was .... very consistent! ;) LOL So Be grateful you got your 1st or 2nd taste of shooting in the rain,.

And you got very good hits today, so focus on that as a personal triumph.

:cheers: :cheers:

Edited by Chris Keen

11-21-11 Monday night practice Miamisburg- I consider myself lucky. I got to have my first experience with a failure to extract. The reason that I say I am lucky is that when it happened, I was like a deer in the headlights. I was shooting and I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I was certain that I had not run my pistol dry because I have been really working on counting rounds, I had checked and double checked all my mags, and I was only a few shots into the stage. I definitely thought I had a failure so I tried to clear it, but I couldn't. I tried to drop my mag as my next strategy only my mag release wouldn't move. So I went back to the slide idea, and then back to the mag. I was finally able to get the mag out by pulling on it from the bottom! WOW! I am SO glad that I wasn't at a match or worse yet, if I made it to a big match, and had it happen for the first time. Now I will know if I can't clear it and my mag release won't move, I can always "grip and rip." (I had heard that term before but had no idea what it was in reference to!) Other than that (which was a great learning opportunity so I didn't mind that it happened) the stages were really fun! I really liked one that you had to carry a briefcase! I felt like I had pretty solid stage break downs and started incorporating things like beginning to move away from the shooting area on the last shot there and taking harder shots as opposed to easy ones in order to reduce the amount of times I had to stop moving. I also felt like I was really quick at regaining my sights after each shot. And I had some really good shots weak hand only. I still had one mag change I remember for sure looking at because I fumbled it, but I also remember looking at the targets instead of the gun and nailing the mag change a few times. I haven't watched the video yet so I am sure I will see plenty that I need to work on still!

"grip and rip." (I had heard that term before but had no idea what it was in reference to!)

I have never heard it in regards to shooting. "Grip it and rip it" is a golf saying. As in just go for it.

But it worked for you just as well.

Practice 11/22/11-

20 (dry fire) of each: regular, strong hand only, weak hand only

Practiced for 25-30 min doing mag changes with my eyes closed. I started out with my eyes open and then tried eyes closed just to see how dependent I was on looking at them even with my peripheral vision. I couldn't get the mag in without it catching. So then I decided that maybe to force myself to not depend on vision I could practice this. By the end I was running through my entire belt without any issues.

Practice 11/22/11-

20 (dry fire) of each: regular, strong hand only, weak hand only

Practiced for 25-30 min doing mag changes with my eyes closed. I started out with my eyes open and then tried eyes closed just to see how dependent I was on looking at them even with my peripheral vision. I couldn't get the mag in without it catching. So then I decided that maybe to force myself to not depend on vision I could practice this. By the end I was running through my entire belt without any issues.

Maybe I am wrong, but,imho, you have always to see the gun .. expecially when putting the magazine. Gun high to eyee level, push the button to release, rotate , flex the arms, but not to much, insert the magazine and regrip fast.

And pay attention to the barrel and safety angle. neve go over the orizzonatal line! (Ipsc )

And pay attention to the barrel and safety angle. Never go over the horizontal line! (Ipsc)

The muzzle over the horizontal/berm seems to be limited to certain clubs, no clue about IPSC.

I would not practice this way (muzzle below berm) as a rule. If you want to add it to your skills in case you run into that rare match that enforces muzzle/berm limits OK maybe.

I think eyes closed practice is worthwhile, but only in practice and always "look" the magazine into the gun. As you know you should not be looking at your weak hand grabbing the mag from the belt. Just a quick glance down at the mag well when inserting the mag, then back on target even before the mag is fully seated and grip established.

The elusive "right way" rears its ugly head again.

Congrats on your successes!

David E.

Practice 11/27/11-

20 of each-

-dry fire concentrating on trigger control and sight picture

-draw then dry fire surrender

-draw then dry fire hands at sides

Then 7ish minutes of mag changes with eyes closed.

I feel like a slacker again because I missed 2 days of practice while I was out of town for the holiday only to follow up with a very short practice. :-)

Practice 11/25/11- Random dry fire practice and draws for about 30 minutes with the focus of making my weak/support hand have a more active role as opposed to just being there and adjusting my grip to allow for that.

This is great to hear. After 6 years (A Open) I'm just now figuring this nugget out. You don't want training scars. It's twice as hard to relearn correctly once you develop them.

Pick Chris Keen's brains. You are so lucky to have some GREAT people around you.

Practice 11/28/11- went to Miamisburg Monday night practice. It was a lot of fun and there was a really cool port that was blocked with a moving no-shoot! I also got my first procedural! I stepped over the fault line!

Practice 11/29/11-

20 of each

-dry fire with focus on weak hand grip

-weak hand only

-strong hand only

-hands at sides draw and dry fire

-hands at surrender draw and dry fire

-turn, draw, dry fire, transition targets, run to end of rug without looking at feet, use feet to feel for fault line

Ran through belt of mag pouches 10 times- eyes closed.

Notes: I need to focus on consistent step size. I have been working on counting my steps between shooting areas and even in practice I am unable to get the same number of steps! :-)