Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Monica's Range Diary

monicataliani

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practice 12/1/11- 15 min par time, 15 min mag changes (eyes closed)

This par time thing has become my new favorite hobby (aside from Texas Stars of course!) I can't wait to do a few warm up draws tomorrow then see if I can take off another 0.1 second! It is so rough at first and feels really rushed and awkward, but it is awesome when your new time starts to feel easy!

Monica,

Since you are using the timer a lot, here is one little thing you can check/think about and possibly improve.

It seems many shooters, myself included, here the beep but wait until the beep is done to start motion.

Check yourself and concentrate on starting the motion before the beep has finished.

Again, a video tells no lies.

You can sort of check this during live fire by having the gun up and ready in your strong hand, start the timer on delay/random start, get ready to fire with finger on the trigger, break the shot the instant the beep starts. I would guess you should be able to drive your reaction time down to under .2 secs.

David E.

Practice 12/2/11- 15 min par time, 15 min mag changes

Practice 12/3/11- 15 min par time, 15 min mag changes

I also learned how to shoot an AR!

12/4/11 match in KY.... I felt like my draws were much better, I got to shoot a rifle stage, AND I finally went to a match with a Texas star! Awesome shoot!

Practice 12/7/11- 15 min par time, 15 min mag changes

What exactly are you doing for your par time drills? Just 1 shot on 1 target, or 2 shots x 3 targets?

You might try doing the entire El Pres. drill @ home in dry-fire, and set yourself a solid par time (like 7 sec.?) and see if you can do that consistantly, while calling your shots as ALL ALPHAS.

That drill works turn-N-draws (which involves snapping your eyes to the targets), but specifically draws, transitions, and reloads, all in 1 drill. Try it both turning, and facing the targets for a little change of pace. Do surrender as well as HAS. :)

12/4/11 match in KY.... I felt like my draws were much better, I got to shoot a rifle stage, AND I finally went to a match with a Texas star! Awesome shoot!

You draw looked great. Very agressive to the holster and solid presentation of the gun to the target. I can see noticeable improvement from just a short while back.

What exactly are you doing for your par time drills?

I started out simple. I just have been doing draw and 1 shot. If I do 15 min I spend 5 minutes on HAS, 5 surrender, and 5 turn and draw. I vary it through the 5 min by changing foot positions and alternate targets and angles to targets. If I do 30 min I just do the above 2 times.

What exactly are you doing for your par time drills?

I started out simple. I just have been doing draw and 1 shot. If I do 15 min I spend 5 minutes on HAS, 5 surrender, and 5 turn and draw. I vary it through the 5 min by changing foot positions and alternate targets and angles to targets. If I do 30 min I just do the above 2 times.

Make sure you practice Right --> Left, as much as Left --> Right.

Somebody else who remembers the old days of the forum will know this line better than I do, but one of the old-timers here used to have a sig-line that said

"With your spirit settled, accumulate practice day by day, and week by week."

I believe it to mean, every minute you practice, every round you fire downrange accumulates over time. Draw by draw, reload after reload, shot by shot, you gain experience and confidence.

Arguably the best shooter in USPSA, Rob Letham was once asked how to be as great a shooter as he was, and his reply still holds true today, when he replied "Go shoot a million rounds in practice & matches, and you'll be great!!! But by that time, I will have also shot another million rounds downrange, and I'll be that much ahead of you." ;)

Trust in your skill sets. And then strengthen them over time. Through repetition & refinement (to coin a Steve Anderson phrase!)

Edited by Chris Keen

I've been working on trying to find some things for you to read about dry fire practice, and besides SA's books there are a few other people I would recomend you browse through their range-diaries. They have "been there & done that" if you will.

Dry fire certainly is nothing new. But it's new to you. So you have to learn to tailor your training to fit you. In order to get the most out of it.

So here's just a few links I want you to check out.

The first one is a girl named Jane Ball who used to do a lot of dry-fire, and posted here on Enos allot too. I think you might connect with her a little bit. I think she was a teacher as well.

Clicky Here

I also wanted to point you to something Brian himself said about practicing his mag changes IN THE DARK ...... at the link below.

Clicky Here As Well!

PS I'll add more links here to help later.

Edited by Chris Keen

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help through the past few months. You have all become great friends and I loved meeting you in person! Shooting at competitions was one of the most fun things I have ever done. Unfortunately, due to some complications in my life, I am not going to likely return. I had a great time while doing this! Thanks! Bye!

Okay, so I know I said I didn't think I would be back, but shooting is an incredibly addictive hobby. B) Despite current things going on, I was able to make it to the Monday night shoot (although with 0 practice for a little over 2 weeks) and it was AWESOME! I missed it soooooo much and I hope to be back for good now! Here are 2 of the strings. The 3rd will be on the way. Any help/comments would be welcome! :cheers:

I have too short of an attention span to tackle both sports. roflol.gif

Check into the Clinton County IDPA matches. From what I understand they run occasional matches that are sort of "outlaw" matches that let you use your USPSA gear, etc. It's their way of trying to recruit USPSA folks.

I wonder what division my Open gun would fall under?ph34r.gif