Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time for some new cleats

open17

Yes, I searched---newest info seems to be a couple of years old, so what's the current "state of the art"?

Been flogging a pair of UnderArmor Hammer mids for a couple of years now, and they are about shot.

Wide feet, all outside range surfaces from mud to 1" rock, frequent rain in the winter. Prefer a mid height.

Suggestions? Anything "new and improved" or should I just go buy another pair of UA Hammers?

Not a ton of options for wide feet, unfortunately. I'm in that camp too.

Nike Land Sharks, Under Armour Hammer III, assorted New Balance cleats (about 4 different styles). That's the only wide cleats I'm aware of. If you branch out into Soccer cleats, there's a few more but usually the top of those shoes are designed for ball-control and not durability. The next time I'm looking for cleats, I'm going to try some of the screw-in cleat models from New Balance.

Adidas Turf Hogs. Enough "gription" (made up word from back in the high school football days) for grass, dirt, gravel, and not so much that you slide around on wood or other flat surfaces like activator boxes.

I bought a pair at the beginning of the summer, after wearing them once I liked them so much that I bought another pair to have so I wouldn't need to go looking around when the first set wore out. ( I wear a size 15, so finding something in my size that is comfortable and suitable is tough ).

I had a pair of Inov 8 Mudclaw 270's that were an improvement over regular cleats. However, I had to order a whole size larger than my regular shoo to be able to fit my wide foot in them. I got a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3's a few months ago and really love them. They are a little wider, fit my foot like a glove, the lacing system is awesome, and they are very comfortable after a long day on the range. Everyone foot is different so whichever you decide on, order through a site like zappos that has free return shipping.

I bought some La Sportiva CrossLite 2.0 for Nationals. It has a very soft cleat and is super comfortable, I was wearing them all day for the first half of Nationals when I was shooting and taking pictures.

Link ---> Crosslite 2.0

I went up .5 size for a perfect fit.

They have the same model in Women's sizes too.

Edited by BritinUSA

And another vote for the Speedcross. I both shoot and trail run in mine. They are super light and have outstanding traction on every shooting surface I have encountered. Best shooting shoe I have found and I have tried a BUNCH!

Inov-8 Mudclaws here as well. Bought them from Zappos after a recommendation from Jake D.

Love them! Lightweight and comfortable. Good traction even on flat surfaces (wood, etc) and absolutely great on grass/dirt/graval.

I had a pair of Inov 8 Mudclaw 270's that were an improvement over regular cleats. However, I had to order a whole size larger than my regular shoo to be able to fit my wide foot in them. I got a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3's a few months ago and really love them. They are a little wider, fit my foot like a glove, the lacing system is awesome, and they are very comfortable after a long day on the range. Everyone foot is different so whichever you decide on, order through a site like zappos that has free return shipping.

Yeah, the Inov8's have some goofy British sizing going on. I had to 'bracket' my foot size at Zappos, then send back the ones that didn't fit ;) I have wide feet and normally wear a 9.5, but am using the "US10" 333.

I like to use The North Face Hedgehog II Mid hiking shoes. These have an aggressive tread pattern but also a soft rubber sole. They are not considered "Cleats" but they have really good traction on pretty much all the normal surfaces that we get exposed to while shooting stages. They are really light weight and very comfortable as well. The only surface that they fall short on is really sandy or deep gravel surfaces. But in those conditions a deep lug cleat is the only thing that is going to hook up.

With all of this talk about the Inov-8 Mudclaw 333's I am going to order up a pair to try out. The only thing I am not sure about is their low cut at the ankle. The Mid height shoes do a really good job of keeping the rocks from getting inside the shoes.

With all of this talk about the Inov-8 Mudclaw 333's I am going to order up a pair to try out. The only thing I am not sure about is their low cut at the ankle. The Mid height shoes do a really good job of keeping the rocks from getting inside the shoes.

Ive been using them for a few months now on ranges with lots of gravel, dirt, small rocks, silt/sand and they are pretty good - haven't had to take them off yet to remove debris of any kind, they fit pretty tightly to the ankle when you have them laced so I wouldn't worry.