Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Build - 40 S&W or 45 ACP?

lvipscshooter

I am planning on "dabbling" :roflol: in Single Stack division in USPSA next year and am wanting to either build or buy a high quality match gun. My inital thought is to go with 40 S&W so I don't have to buy equipment to load another caliber. What are some of your opinions on 40 S&W vs. 45 ACP in SS? Advantages - Disadvantages?

Thanks for the input! :cheers:

Edited by lvipscshooter

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pondering the same question except between 9mm and .40.

I already have a sweet .45 SS gun, but the ammo cost is high and I don't like picking up brass between shooters. I just can't seem to leave that .45 brass laying there.

And it makes sense for me since I have a sweet LTD gun to be able to use the same .40 ammo. But then, I 'm also setup for 9mm too and have a great 9 minor load. I can only imagine how soft a good 9 minor load would be in a steel frame 1911.

We are supposed to be shooting all A's right? :blink:

To answer your question .40 is the route to go. Just tune your gun and mags and it will run fine.

Edited by Shadowrider

I went from a 9mm (just never loved it in a 1911) to a .45 (cost was just too high) and settled on a .40...LOVE IT! Sold anything that was another caliber so I only have one to load. Using the same load in my STI Trojan and my new DP Edge and don't intend to ever look back. I can easily make major and don't have to worry about trying to do it with 9 major or, for me, the prohibitive cost of .45.

Don't think you can wrong with either, but if you already have .40, go with that. As stated, depending on what you end up using for the gun and mags, once you get them tuned and running 100%, you will be good to go.

Best of luck!!! :cheers:

I get an extra thrill from shooting 45 in a single stack. I don't think I could ever warm up to shooting a single stack 40 no matter what the advantages might be. Everything from loading 45 rounds to thumbing them into the magazine is a thrill to me. I'd build a 45. You won't regret it and a few additional reloading components are cheap enough. It's only money and you cannot take it with you! :cheers:

Edited by lawboy

I think it makes sense to shoot 40s if you already roll them. But of course, if the 1911 was meant to be anything besides 45acp that's how JMB would have made them!

Plus thumping steel with a 230 gn slug at 170pf is very satisfying. And real men shoot a real caliber ;-)

I was in your boat a couple of years ago. I wanted to shoot in SS, and bought a 45 to do it. It was a great little shooter, and I loved shooting it. but I didnt shoot it all the time. I did get set up to reload 45, but the component prices did get the best of me as I had to buy brass to start and it was not plentiful at that time. Factory ammo was rediculous, so that aided the choice as well.

Besides, I was still shooting a lot of 40 in limited and hated the 4 minutes it took to change the press over. So I went with a STI Trojan in 40. i can keep my normal limited load and use it in the SS and everything is fine. Have not looked back since. heck I am still using my 45 mags and they run like a dream in my gun.

Matt

I'm taking steps to consolidate to one caliber - .40 for both Limited and SS. I should have my new limited gun in the next couple of months and I'm getting an order together for a new SS gun - both from SV.

I currently buy Atlanta Arms .40 and .45 and when I get my bench rebuilt and press mounted and installed, loading a single caliber, I feel, is going to be my ideal setup.

I had a 45 SS built this spring and shot it at A3, A4 and A5 cause this is anniversary of 1911 and had a great time shooting t. Also have 3 hi-cap 40's that I will shoot in Limited in 2012. I don't worry about the time it takes to change loading setup. Don't like selling my guns cause I might want to shoot it next week..

I went the same way.. I couldn't get a 40 SS at the time (California restrictions), but I could get a 10MM, and had that converted.. so I could run Limited, SS and Production all in 40.

The 40 takes more work to get working right, magazines aren't as good, and I prefer the recoil of the 45..

end result.. I don't use the 40 much

I love these threads......:devil:

Advantages to .40 for you:

You already have the setup to load the round

.40 caliber is cheaper to reload when comparing like components (don't get on here and say I load .45 for .000002 a round because I cast my own bullets from bubble gum and acorns)

brass is more readly available.

You don't need a barney mag

chicks dig it!

Disadvantages of .40 for you:

getting the gun to run. (magazines, mag release and a smith that knows what they are doing and away you go)

Advantages of .45:

They run because the gun was built to run them.

Some thinks it make them feel more like a man :ph34r::roflol:

I would shoot a .45 if the cost was equal and the .45 took small primers but is not and they don't.

Chicks dig it!

Disadvantages of the .45:

Reloading cost

You have to change over your press

barney mag

Advantages of 9mm:

Disadvantages of 9mm:

MINOR SUCKS!

These are all my opinions but what do I know, others will be along to disagree with me shortly lol :cheers:

well there is only one true 1911 and thats a 45acp. but lets look at the facts. 45 acp brass is about $35.00 per 500 for once fired. 45 acp shoots slow enough to shoot full lead bullets with no lead fouling at all at major power factor. i load 1400 rounds of 45 acp with one pound of clays powder shooting 888 fps with a lead 200gr swc. thats a pf of 177.60 the powder is $20 per pound and the bullets are $37.75 per 500 plus shipping. 45 acp has been proven to be more accurate than a 40 s&w. i know accuracy isnt a problem when shooting uspsa as we dont usually shoot at a long distance but it does happen. the only difference in expense between a 40 s&w and a 45acp would be the money to make the 40 run and the reloading conversion kit. then maybe a few dollars difference in powder or brass but not much. in my opinion the ss division should be changed to 1911 45 acp only to keep it even across the board. but that is just my opinion. by the way ill take on a 40 with my 45 in a match any day. (being the same class shooter)

Edited by snake32

40 is Better.

1. cheaper to load

2. less powder to make PF at any given bullet weight = less recoil

3. reloading with mags that are downloaded by 1 = no failed reloads

As far as getting the gun to run, it's no harder than a double-stack 40.

I am about a month away from taking delivery of my new SS gun.Limited is my primary division, of course in 40. In the past I have shot my Kimber 45 in single stack just for the heck of it, but I have always hated the way it recoils. I need to elaborate on that. I dont think that a 45 recoils too much,it just seems to recoil too slow, I find myself seeming to wait on the sights to return to target. ( I know we are talking .0001ths of a second here, but mentally I notice it). I Have been shooting 40 long enough that the faster recoil pulse is just ingrained in my splits. Even saying that sounds like BS to me, but My subconcience seems to believe it, so who am I to argue. I have never even shot a 40 cal single stack, so I am hoping it is about the same as my limited gun. The Dillon is already set up for 40, the solo 1000 jugs are on the shelf and the 180 grain Bear creeks are ready for both guns. I will be able to tell you if I made the right choice Oct 25th.

Snake when your comparing prices make sure your comeparing lead to lead and jacket to jacket. Face it unless you shoot 185s in your .45, and most shoot 230s, bullets cost more. I can get brass free but typically .40 brass is 25-35 per k not 500.

Seriously your .45 vs somebody else's .40 (same class)? The caliber doesn't win the match. Unless your thinking the .40 will jam then I suggest you watch my videos.

I started this game this year in ss with my .45. One thing I noticed was that I was more concerned with looking at targets, talking to people, and learning the game than being a brass rat. I left a lot of .45 laying on the ground. I counted it as the price of an education. I have now switched to limited because that is the popular division at my local club (Rayner's) and am shooting .40. I don't feel nearly as bad now leaving brass lay and focus more on improving. I cast and reload and .40 is the cheapest of the two. Police have got away from .45 and that drives the brass price up. Heavier bullets, more powder, and (for me) I have to buy lp primers makes .45 a money eater. I pinch pennies because this is my hobby/luxury and I have to make my hobby money count. .40 vs. .45 recoil doesn't mean much to me. I switch guns around a lot (1911/glock/revo/mark 3) and after about 50 rounds out of any one it feels like an old pair of shoes.

If I ever get back to ss I will probably look very serious at the thread steel started about his ss guns. I would go with a .40.

I shoot SSTK with a .45acp and Limited with a .40SW, but that's probably because I started out in SSTK before I switched to Limited. If I did it the other way around, I'd have probably set up the SSTK gun in .40SW just to keep all the ammo the same. As far as recoil, I don't find that there is that much of a difference, but I use a 200 gr MSWC in the .45 and a 180 gr TC in the .40, with both loaded to 172-ish PF. The .40 is maybe a tad bit snappier.

Changing tool heads and primer tubes on the 550 takes 10 mins at the most, and it makes for as good a time as any to clean the primer bar. As far as cost, I use moly coated bullets from Bear Creek, and I think there's about a $6 difference per K between the two calibers.

from friendswood bullet co. lead 200 gr swc 45acp $37.75 vs lead 180 gr fp 40 s&w $35.63 per 500. that means 1k of 40 bullets is $4.24 cheaper. the decision between the two calibers is more personal preference than cost. shoot what you like and what feels right to you.

Edited by snake32

No one has mentioned that scoring advatages of the bigger hole in the paper target when it come to shots on the perfs. Guess it's just me who thinks that is an advantage.

The 4 minutes swtiching the press over isn't a big deal for me.

from friendswood bullet co. lead 200 gr swc 45acp $37.75 vs lead 180 gr fp 40 s&w $35.63 per 500. that means 1k of 40 bullets is $4.24 cheaper. the decision between the two calibers is more personal preference than cost. shoot what you like and what feels right to you.

More people shoot 230s than 200s.

And brass per thousand? Now multiply that by at least 10 or if you me 15-20 and what is your savings?

Regardless of cost there is a difference. On top of that you typically can get the .40 back you shot at a match plus a little more. .45 your lucky to get back what you shoot.

No one has mentioned that scoring advatages of the bigger hole in the paper target when it come to shots on the perfs. Guess it's just me who thinks that is an advantage.

The 4 minutes swtiching the press over isn't a big deal for me.

Works both ways what about edge hits on no shoots. :-)

I am shooting .45 200gr swc, have been since 2000 when I started shooting IDPA, because that was the guns I had, that is what I was reloading. When I started shooting USPSA I was still shooting same guns in L10 with ten round mags, and then single stack.

I have since switched to shooting Limited and have a press set up just for 40s&w for it.

But now I have gotten a 650 set up in 40, sold my 550 that was only set up for 45, and still have my SDB that is set up in 40.

I am going to convert it to 45.

If I were to get serious about shooting single stack division again I would get a 40s&w

They will run

buying one powder, buying one primer, one bullet and loading one type of round is ideal to me