Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need SS Magwell and upgrade help

steviesterno

Hey all,

I've been running a stock Baer Concept V with fiber optic target sites all this year, and I'm looking to make it perfect for SS next year. It wont ever be used in IDPA, but has to be SS legal. Since I reload 3x more than you limited shooters, I think a magwell would be worth the money. Just wondering what kind to get. I know DP and Techwell are big, but I don't get the whole gap/no gap thing. I also already like the Larry Davidson grips I'm sporting, but would modify them if needed to fit. What's the best magwell for me if I'm running Chip McCormick 8 rounders and don't want to tune all my mags?

Also, what other mods do you all do for single stack? I'm having the worn stainless either bead blasted or recoated this winter, but currently I love the sights, trigger, and safety. Or should I just shut the heck up and spend the money on more components?

Steve

I have been running a concept III in SS this year,till I got my limited rig. It has a tripps K1 rear sight Dawson gap magwell Dawson FO front with Larry Davidson grips. No mods needed for the magwell, with his grips. It's a very reliable tack driver. I use Dawson mags and they have been reliable as well. The gap simply has a small gap at the front of the magwell it is fully inclosed just a gap. Hope this helps. Good shooting. A Dawson magwell does not stop you from using her in IDPA. Don't pin the grip safety, and shoot heII out of it

Edited by a matt

Check out this thread in the Gallery sub-forum. Tons of pics and most with very detailed descriptions of chosen parts and mods.

I just finished the same project with my franken gun. It was already a shooter (good sights, trigger and reliable) but an ugly gun. I bead blasted all of the stainless naughty bits (slide lock, thumb and grip safeties), had it CeraKote'd and added a DP no-gap magwell and Larry's grips and I'm also running CMC 8 rnd. mags.

I'm post #584 on page 24.

Good luck - I'm finding SSD a blast! :cheers:

I like the Dawson gap magwell. The no-gap is just too selective on which magazines it will work with. The "gap" magwell runs with all of them.

SS minor with my STI Spartan 9mm. I'm running the Dawson Ice, no gap insert with Dawson basepads on my first 5 Tripp mags on my rig. If in a hozer match with alot more rounds and anticipate more mag changes I switch the insert out to the "gap" version and can run my extra Checkmate mags with CM bumpers.

I just put a DP Ice gap magwell on my Kimber, and love it. Note, that if you go with the Ice, you'll most likely also need their mag bases - I know I did. If you go with another maker, you may need extended mag bases.

Wow, that Burkett mag well looks VERY familiar. WOWEE on the price though.

If I needed a bolt on, I would use a no-gap Dawson and either use his base pads. My magwell requires modified bases and it's never been an issue. I only use mags I own.

I think the Heinie bolt on or Stan Chen is the best looking magwell but it's a gunsmith fit only option.

wow, I'm officially more confused than when I started! Keep the ideas coming!

Nothing wrong with a little confusion - that only means you're interested.

As long as the basics are there (sights, trigger, reliability) you can look at other changes. Assuming you have a satisfactory load to shoot, I'd say magwell and ensuring that the gun is comfortable to shoot (doesn't bite you anywhere) would be next in the line up.

Go with the Dawson Ice magwell and don't look back. I run one on my single stack and it helps and i feel that with the wrap around it helps with gripping the pistol as well as getting faster reloads. I have recommended it to the 3 people that bought single stack 9's after I did and they are all more than happy with it.

Well it has to be a bolt on, since I'm not changing the frame or anything. Will the techwells work with regular mags? I don't really want to change all my baseplates

Yes, Depending on what mag. I had to file down some of my fixed metal baseplate mags on the front lip. Plastic removable mags fit just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Smith & Alexander MSH/mag well. It’s not huge like a lot of others but its big enough to work well and the 1911 still looks like a 1911.

http://www.smithandalexander.com/guides.html

Similar available from Wilson, Ed Brown and others I'm sure.

+1 to this. Simply because if you plan to shoot IDPA with it you wont get all the questions and crap from the purest about if your gun fits in the box. I actually have this style on both my competition guns and my carry guns. They are quite easy to fit. I do suggest buying the Ed Brown or EGW with the mainspring housing.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a Fusion Chain link Mainspring and magwell combo. The magwell dovetails into the mainspring housing which is nice. The photo shows the mainspring housing on left and front strap on the right. I thought is dressed it up some too. The mainspring housing is more glossy than the frame.

http(colon)//i101.photobucket.com/albums/m70/supercrewd/Guns%20and%20Ammo/Guns/4cf7237692025preview-300.jpg

Not enough posts to link the pic...