Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Richard Davis

outerlimits

Way back in the early 80's (1982 I think)I saw Richard Davis demonstrate his body armor by shooting himself with a .44 Mag. He gave a discount to any officer that ordered one of his vest. Then you could order one direct from Second Chance. I ordered teh then brand new Y Model. 29 years later, that vest is stil in my closet along with an American Body Armor Armitron Level IIIA. That thing is about a flexible as what King Arthur wore. The vest we wear now are waaaay more flexible, but their still hot as a bitch. Richard Davis believed in his product enough to shoot himself numerous times, and he always said that he did it to encourage officers to wear the armor. He didn't invent soft body armor, but he made it practical to wear, and more affordable for when we had to buy it out of our own pockets. Thanks Richard, and thanks for that video clip. somewhere I have a 8 hour or so video of Richard Davis presentation and some of his weapons, including a bolt action single shot made by welding together two magnumMauser actions (I think that is what is was made of, but?).

Way back in the early 80's (1982 I think)I saw Richard Davis demonstrate his body armor by shooting himself with a .44 Mag. He gave a discount to any officer that ordered one of his vest. Then you could order one direct from Second Chance. I ordered teh then brand new Y Model. 29 years later, that vest is stil in my closet along with an American Body Armor Armitron Level IIIA. That thing is about a flexible as what King Arthur wore. The vest we wear now are waaaay more flexible, but their still hot as a bitch. Richard Davis believed in his product enough to shoot himself numerous times, and he always said that he did it to encourage officers to wear the armor. He didn't invent soft body armor, but he made it practical to wear, and more affordable for when we had to buy it out of our own pockets. Thanks Richard, and thanks for that video clip. somewhere I have a 8 hour or so video of Richard Davis presentation and some of his weapons, including a bolt action single shot made by welding together two magnumMauser actions (I think that is what is was made of, but?).

That just took me back 20 years....that was the first vest I was ever issued. They sure made you look like a stud though :roflol:

SV-COP: Yeah, and they sure made you sweat in the southern heat and humidity. And unlike the more modern vest today, the carriers were not removable and did notlend itself to effective cleaning out of the funk. Man, the odor that would come ou from under that vest! Is you could put it in a spray can, it would be more effective than pepper spray. Any cop or military person that had to wear concealed soft body armor know exactly what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

Great video, still as impressive now as it was the first time i saw it years ago. I have worn Second Chance and now Armor Express exclusively since working as a LEO.

There's something to be said for a company that literally stands behind their product....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Supposedly, one time someone watched Rich shoot himself and then commented, "Sure, it'll stop a bullet but you'll be in so much pain you won't be able to return fire." So, Rich added a shooting skill to perform after shooting himself to prove that you could return fire. That skill included a 4x8 sheet of plywood on two saw horses, with 5 bowling pins on the front edge. He'd shoot himself and then fire the next five at the pins, knocking each one off the table. People loved it, and a sport was born.

Can anyone confirm/refute that? I always wondered if it was just an urban legend.

Grunt

• 2 weeks later...

It actually started out as 2 bowling pins on a table and there was a reason for using bowling pins that I won't go into here because forum etiquette frowns on it.

Brian shot Second Chance a time or two, as did many of the older guys here.

:cheers:

I was referring to the original demonstrations of the Second Chance vests, not the Second Chance competitions, which WERE 5 bowling pins on a table.

Davis always used at least full power ammo in his demo's. He even used steel jacket in the AK demo I saw him do standing on on foot to prove a rifle bullet wouldn't knock you down. It was just one of the cool things you got to see when attending the Second Chance matches, Davis always did some of his vest demo's.

• 3 months later...

I love USPSA but Second Chance was the most unique shooting event ever. It ran eight days,and one main event entry got you three meals a day and free camping on the range. there were three main events, stock gun, pin gun and ,later, open gun which consisted of six tables of five pins, throw out the worst for your score. Their were a ton of side events for all rifle, pistol and shotgun that were kick ass fun. I miss it a lot . :(

I love USPSA but Second Chance was the most unique shooting event ever. It ran eight days,and one main event entry got you three meals a day and free camping on the range. there were three main events, stock gun, pin gun and ,later, open gun which consisted of six tables of five pins, throw out the worst for your score. Their were a ton of side events for all rifle, pistol and shotgun that were kick ass fun. I miss it a lot . :(

You didn't mention Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies and the evening refreshments.

Or the Mercedes :cheers:

Or the Mercedes :cheers:

Forgot about the Mercedes! I only shot Second Chance 3 times.

• 2 weeks later...

It actually started out as 2 bowling pins on a table and there was a reason for using bowling pins that I won't go into here because forum etiquette frowns on it.

Brian shot Second Chance a time or two, as did many of the older guys here.

:cheers:

Older Guys!! I resemble that. I shot Second Chance from 83-93, then again in 98 when the last one was held.

What fun that match was. 10 day party with lots of shooting. :)

Second Chance.......(sigh).......what great memories! There is nothing like it out there today, and I'm pretty sure there never will be anything quite like it ever again!

Edited by Carmoney