Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much ammo

ryank

Welcome to the forum...and it's division, not class :)

I usually take 300 rds with me to a USPSA match and I've never run short. Most stages are about 30 rounds. Add enough for a reshoot or two and maybe a few extra in case you accidentally miss a target. It never hurts leaving a couple hundred in the car.

If it's a steel challenge match, it takes 196 rounds to complete, if you don't miss. I usually take 400 because I'm not so good :(

Lol..I'm getting tired of lugging all the ammo around, when Level I matches were 50 rounds and under and Level II were around 100 it didn't seem like a bad idea to bring double...still do most matches, but for the bigger matches now where 200+ is getting common I'm typically bring the match count + 100 (and rounded up to the nearest 100). So for the US Nationals I'm looking at bringing 500 for a 370 round match....not to mention it has to be something I can get on an aircraft....

I normally bring 1.5 to 2.5 times the ammo that the match requires or I expect it to require. That allows for the possibility of having to reshoot several of the stages in a match ans still not run out of ammo. I have only had to reshoot 1 stage in a match since I started USPSA in June 2007. B) It is always good to be prepared though.

Due to the fact that I shoot a caliber that is not often used in IDPA and USPSA competitions (.45 Colt), I know that I don't have the option of "borrowing" ammunition from another competitor.

Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with 400 then. If I need more I'll look at it as I don't deserve to be there.

You can always be generous and hand out some ammo to some shooters who may be running short. So I guess you can never have too much ammo on you. All depends on how much you're willing to lug around. :P

I say x2 also but round it up to the next hundred. Ex - Match has a 325 round count, x2 = 650, round up = 700. This is what I do.

I recently read an article where a female shooter had to reshoot a stage 6 times, but she had brought enough ammo for the match, whereas others were scrambling for ammo or DNF'd.

I think of this way for a major match:

Take your round count. Add some for misses, especially if there is a lot of steel or moving targets (stars especially), mebbe 5 or 10%. Figure on a couple reshoots (best to have the maximum 32 round stages in mind). Add 8 rounds for Chrono. That's the bare minimum you should have.

Match round count +100 is good, +200 for a large match. I bring more, though, to a big match like the Nationals because a) I will NOT come back saying I DNF'd a couple stages because I "ran out of ammo"; b ) I like to practice, especially because I will be shooting a different PF division the second match; c) I might be able to help some unfortunate who is short; and d) Driving, I have no restrictions on the amount of ammo I can carry.

I am bringing Nationals ammo for three of my friends. From the heft of the boxes, there are probably 600 odd rounds for each match. I am bringing 800 plus (again, because I can practice and bring what's left back).

I admit that I am probably on the high side of what most bring, but, hey, it's me! :goof:

Edited by kevin c

Well let's see. Usually I take about twice the amount I expect to use plus a couple boxes in case someone leaves their ammo at home.

Got to run inside. Big lightening. Looks like the storm that caused a tornado warning earlier. Twelve seconds from lightening bolt to sound of thunder.

I just checked the radar. I'm about to get slammed. Where is my flash light.

Edited by West Texas Granny

Well let's see. Usually I take about twice the amount I expect to use plus a couple boxes in case someone leaves their ammo at home.

Got to run inside. Big lightening. Looks like the storm that caused a tornado warning earlier. Twelve seconds from lightening bolt to sound of thunder.

I just checked the radar. I'm about to get slammed. Where is my flash light.

Good luck, WTG.

I survived a few thunderboomers in Texas and Oklahoma in the early-80s. The idea still makes me jumpy.

• 2 months later...

Bring at least X 2 the match round count. You never know when you will need the extra or loan it to a squad mate. I have had a couple of matches where i had to borrow ammo and the folks on my squad were good enough to loan it to me so I always bring extra in case I have to loan some out. A new shootier won't forget it and will learn a valuable lesson.