Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
CSEMARTIN

What is your favorite motivational saying or quote?

The coach is never wrong -- he may not always be right, but he is never wrong.

I was watching one of these shows about people who had been in these horrible incidents/accidents. I can't remember the name of the program now. One of the survivors interviewed was some sort of martial arts champion. He was in south or central America riding his motorcycle when he was kidnapped and held hostage. He was a prisoner for weeks if not months. He tried different things to get his captors to release him... Hunger strike... Slicing his forehead open,etc.

When he was finally let go, he was taken to the hospital. The authorities showed up a few days later with a plane ticket back to the U.S. He was like "what's this?". The authorities tried to convince him to go back home. He said no, that he wanted to complete his cross country motorcycle trip. He walked out if the hospital and completed his journey. The little pearl of wisdom he spoke before his interview was over was:

"An obstacle is something you see when you lose sight of your goal."

Churchill had another I'm fond of, especially for divorces:

"If you're going throug Hell, keep going."

I have many, but came across this today and liked it: The key is not the "will to win" - everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important

"Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there." (Lieutenant General Victor H. Krulak, USMC, April 1965.)

"When Mozart was my age.... he had been dead for 18 years." - Tom Lehrer (with my age applied to the saying)

And for the procrastinators, of which I'm one: If something must be done eventually, it should be done immediately.

The sun don't shine on teh same dog's ass all the time.

When yu get to teh fork in the road, take it- Yogi Berra

Man, I was so drunk, I couln't see through a ladder- fellow Marine in 1973 or 1974, at the E Club at 29 Palms

"Then we shall fight in the shade" -Dienekes

You don't have to like it, you just have to do it. And if you did like it, I'd ship yer crazy ass home.

Captain over in the sand

Always just struck me as poetic. :)

And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

Ayrton Senna

When faced with a 50/50 choice , there's an 80% chance you'll pick the wrong one!

Life is hard , but it's harder for stupid people !

Edited by toothandnail

I've always really liked my signature line:

"You must prepare your mind for where your body may have to go."

One from my dad.

"I don't give a shit if you won or lost. There will always be people better and worse than you. You damned well had better have done everything you could to have won though."

Edited by Neomet

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

The runes on Conan's father's sword are translated as; "Suffer no guilt, ye who wield this in the name of Crom" :sight:

A couple of my favorites......

"When life gets tough and it looks like the gators are going to get you,

step back, take a deep breath and start killing them one at a time, usually

the closest ones first."

MSGPaul Howe

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Lance Armstrong

Pursue Until Your Heart Stops

Travel In Packs, Arrive Angry!

UnknownNight Stalker

Edited by Romans 13 4

When you're up to your ass in alligators, its hard to remember your mission is to drain the swamp.

And one of eth best ever from Jimmy Valvano: "Never give up. Never, ever give up."

The runes on Conan's father's sword are translated as; "Suffer no guilt, ye who wield this in the name of Crom" :sight:

That's some cool trivia!

People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don’t know when to quit. Most men succeed because they are determined to. – George Allen

We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. – George Bernard Shaw

“The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

"It is through being wounded that power grows and can, in the end, become tremendous" - Nietzsche

Here's mine:

The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... One step at a time. -Joe Girard

Accomplishing the impossible while appearing to be prepared to do absolutely nothing. -Army Helicopter Pilot