Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your favorite motivational saying or quote?

CSEMARTIN

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

I have that as a magnet in my locker at work, read it every day as I put on my vest and belt and head out into the streets of Stockton for another night of graveyard patrol. I carried that same magnet with me to Iraq, it rode on the back side of my gun shield.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" John Wayne

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

"Rub her feet."

-Lazarus Long nee Woodrow Wilson Smith

(Related to Minerva Weatheral whom I'm sure was very sweet in cajoling Robert Heinlein to include them in his book "Time Enough For Love")

Edited by gino_aki

• 4 weeks later...

"A wise hawk hides his talons."

Unk Samurai

"The most dangerous weapon is the one you don't see."

"The most important attribute that a sniper must possess? A sniper's most important attribute is patience. I can teach a man to shoot, stalk, observe and report. I can't teach him to be patient."

GySgt Carlos Hathcock

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.

Omar Bradley

Joy is in the ears that hear, not in the mouth that speaks.

Saltheart Foamfollower (from the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On the wall of my crossfit gym: "I'll do what you won't today, so I'll be able to do what you can't tomorrow"

This is turning into a favorite of mine as well.

I had it on my bathroom mirror written as:

"Do today what others won't, so you can have tomorrow, what others can't."

When I was the epitome of the driven Sales Professional life was full of motivational quips and cliches. The the best motivational tool I've ever used is a quote form a book Stephen King wrote as Richard Bachman called The Long Walk:

"Just keep picking 'em up, and puttin 'em down."

This was my mantra for the last 15 hours of riding a water slide for 29.5 hours consecutively to win a contest locally. Sixty-three steps up, slide down, do it again. Keep picking 'em up, and puttin 'em down. Every step is one step closer to my goal. All it took was one step more than the other guys had in them to win. The whole experience taught me a huge lesson.

“He who has the fastest cart never has a bad lie”

Mickey Mantle (American Baseball Player, 1931-1995)

“If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron.”

Lee Trevino