Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your favorite motivational saying or quote?

CSEMARTIN

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My favorite followed by others that I like:

Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it, unearth it, and gnaw it still.

Henry David Thoreau

Character is the ability to carry out a good resolution long after the excitement of the moment has passed.

Cavett Robert

Obedience to lawful authority is the foundation of manly character.

Robert E. Lee

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Carl Sagan

The only fence against the world is a thorough knowledge of it.

John Locke

Edited by fumbles

• 2 weeks later...

"Then we shall fight in the shade" -Dienekes

During the second Persian invasion of Greece and just prior to the Battle of Thermopylae, a Persian ambassador/messenger was sent to negotiate with the Greeks. When their surrender terms were refused, the Persian again demanded they lay down their weapons. The Greek in charge of the defense forces (Leonidas) said, "Come and take them" (Molon Labe). The Persian said, "Our arrows will be so numerous they will block out the sun” (the Persian Army was really huge). Then one of the Greek generals said, "Then we shall fight in the shade."

Unfortunately, the Greeks were wiped out because of treachery.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

• 2 weeks later...

Breath deep

The gathering gloom

Watch lights fade

From every room

Bedsitter people

Look back and lament

Another day's useless

Energy spent

Empassioned lovers

Wrestle as one

Lonely man cries for love

And has none

New mother picks up

And suckles her son

Senior citizens

Wish they were young

Cold hearted orb

That rules the night

Removes the colours

From our sight

Red is gray and

Yellow white

But we decide

Which is right

And

Which is an Illusion

• 3 weeks later...

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Wayne Gretzky

Every time my gunsmith buddy, Charlie Milazzo says "Sicilian air drawings.." to describe his hand waving while talking during his lectures it cracks me up.

"We're surrounded? Good! Now we can shoot in any direction we want to and still kill the little yellow SOB's!"

Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller at the Chosin Reservoir upon being informed the first Marine division was surrounded by an estimated 13 Chinese communist divisions.

"Retreat hell !...We just got here." USMC Officer in WW1 response to orders to retreat as they approached the front lines.

"Give me a battalion of brig rats and I could lick the world." Gen. Butler's commenting about men who seemed to make a habit of being sent to the brig for disciplinary action.

"Freedom is not free but the USMC will pay most of your share." Ned Dolan

"I have only two men out of my company and about 20 from some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicidal to try and get it here as we are constantly swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few men on my right....I will hold." 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates USMC Belleau Wood 19 July 1918

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." Gen. Black Jack Pershing

" Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've ever made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan

Various USMC Quotes:

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie." while you look for a bigger rock.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step....and a lot of bitching.

The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war.

Do not fear the enemy....they can only take you life. Fear the media for they can steal your honor.

Put some grunts on the ground, double tap the survivors, and feed the kiddies chocolate bars.

When a Marine is wounded, almost out of amp, hungry, he looks to the sky because he knows the USMC helicopters are coming.

Those who live by the sword will die....when they face those of us with automatic weapons.

If during a firefight you see two colonels conferring? You have fallen back a little too far.

" A million Marines could not take Tarawa in a hundred years" A Japanese Admiral speaking before the Marines invaded and took the Island in three bloody days of fighting.

• 1 month later...