Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Exposing gun shop folks to fine pistols

RangerTrace

Today, me and my father-in-law shot a few rounds at an indoor range in Weatherford. The young man working the counter inspected our guns/ammo before we were allowed to enter the range. After a few moments with my 5" SV in his hands, I thought he was actually going to Climax!! :devil:

He'd never heard of SV Infinity!! A short time later, I gave him the opportunity to shoot a 20 round mag. He was grinning ear to ear the entire time! :goof: Oh and his group was very respectable for having never touched the gun before :cheers:

He may never buy one, but he'll never forget them either!

• 1 month later...

Had that happen several times when picking up a pistol from the recieving FFL. People are like what is that(open Blaster)when it came out of the case. Don't mind answering questions or letting them check it out when they ask. The guy that grabbed it while I was filling out the paperwork may still have a sore wrist and arm from when I retrieved it from him. Shop owner just looked at him and said "if it's not yours you should learn to ask first".

Mildot

No different than people drooling over a car that costs 10x what a normal car costs, if you ask me.

The last time I saw a $300,000 car, I was a bit awestruck myself.

Point well taken. And I'm really not making fun of the guy. I was simply amazed at an obvious gun lover who hadn't read about or seen an SV before.

No different than people drooling over a car that costs 10x what a normal car costs, if you ask me.

The last time I saw a $300,000 car, I was a bit awestruck myself.

I'm usually awestruck by fancy cars. However, I had the opportunity to drive an Aston Martin DBS Volante ($300K sticker) and was underwhelmed. The $200K V12 Vantage was pretty cool though.

I don't think it is as much as sticker shock as it is just not the norm for these guys.

I have taken my open glock to my local indoor range to test loads, new parts etc and always stop all shooting with people wanting to know what it is. And mine isn't a sweet s_i style...

I say "these guys" as much as the employees as their customers. It is amazing how specialized the guns we shoot are. Most people at the indoor range are so curious it isn't a short trip as I had planned.

I always think that maybe I turned a newbie onto this awesome sport...while knowing I am a newbie. :D

• 4 weeks later...

In June or July of 2010 a friend of mine talked me into shooting with him at one of his practices. He has a Brazos Custom SC, and a 6" STI. Although I have been a shooter/humter gun mag reader for most of my life, I had never heard of STI or SVI. The only wide body 1911's I had ever heard of or seen were Caspian or Para models. I've owned epensive pistol before, but I had just never been exposed to the type of pistol that most Limited and Open Division shooters use.

In June or July of 2010 a friend of mine talked me into shooting with him at one of his practices. He has a Brazos Custom SC, and a 6" STI. Although I have been a shooter/humter gun mag reader for most of my life, I had never heard of STI or SVI. The only wide body 1911's I had ever heard of or seen were Caspian or Para models. I've owned epensive pistol before, but I had just never been exposed to the type of pistol that most Limited and Open Division shooters use.

They're severely undermarketed. I bet they could sell a ton of them if the price came down and the magazines were reliable out of the box.

Armscor supposedly makes a 2011 overseas. I hope that they'll bring it here once the last patent expires.

Kinda like the vette dealer not knowing about Ferrari if you ask me...might not like em but should know if they were built locally.

My local shop hadn't heard of Vector until I brought in my "HK 51"...they won't forget either :devil:

Thanks for educating the masses!

Had the same experience recently at an indoor gun store/range by my office. Guy wanted to inspect my handguns. I had a Matt Davis 1911 and a Millinium Custom Limited gun. Guy is a 1911 fan and was drooling when he cleared (read played) with the 1911. Then he seemed to almost climax when playing with the limited gun, especially when I mentioned the magazines hold 21 rounds of .40. Nice guy and we ended up chatting about USPSA and I may have talked him to get out of the gun store and see some action shooting.

Of course his buddy tried to tell me that the H&K USP was a way better blah blah tacticool blah Seals use them blah gun. Until I let him dry fire the limited gun with a Derek trigger job. :devil:

Good stuff from all!! I don't ever expect SV Infinity to overtake or even shadow the sales of STI or any other production gun. They have carved out their place in the market and (in my opinion) will never leave. Their lead time may grow to 24 months, but their excellence/quality will not diminish.......

After ordering and waiting on 2 SVI sighttracker's over the last 7 years, I discover your order is expedited if paid in full. Anyone else hear this? Spoke with a guy who paid for his SVI in full and expects in within 3 month's. I didn't know this. Yea, I had the same gun shop experience recently when I picked up my new SVI. Nobody but the shop owner knew what is was. Even the shop owner had to comment, it just doesn't get any better than this, How does he get that trigger. :P