Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chewing Tobacco

outerlimits

ok, chewed for about 30 years. if you've been to a match, there's a good chance you've seen me slobbering around, spiting on my c-more lens, on dropped mags, on virgin brass, sneezing with a mouthful into an ACOG, you get the point...disgusting habit.

anyway, for whatever reason i woke up last week and decided i was done. chucked the few cans i had left and decided to cold turkey it. been a strange first couple days, but what the heck-there are a lot more difficult challenges than kicking an addiction. decided to see if i had the mental toughness to just say no. so far so good...and happy to say i just shot my first match without chew...and that goes back to 1984.

Good deal and congrats. It is tough at first. There are many resources on the net. I think there is a good one called "Kick the Can". A co-worker just quit about 90 days ago.

I quit dipping years ago when a friend of mine had oral cancer about five to six years out of high school. He went through a painful ordeal and the cancer spread. He did not make it.

Good luck!

Good for you!!! :cheers:

You've already made it thru the hardest part. Deciding to quit and the first few days. It's all easier from here. Hang in there and be proud that your willpower was stronger than your addiction.

Congratulations! :cheers:

I dipped for 17 years and have been quit for nearly 3 years, 1082 days to be exact. The first few days are the toughest. As you know, it is all mental from here on out. Try to avoid your "triggers" and remember that a craving will pass in 5 minutes. If you really need a crutch to get you through a tough time, try soaking a cotton ball in mouthwash and stuff it in your lip. It sounds silly, but it helped me back in the early days of being quit.

Stay strong and never quit quitting. B)

Quit Smokeless Network

Congrats. I am in a similar situation, after 20+ years of dipping Skoal I quit cold turkey mid-March. The first 72 hours were brutal but it has not been that tough since.

I have used sunflower seeds approximately 10 times since I quit.

Stay strong!!

Jayson

GREAT JOB! :cheers:

I started when I was 12 and quit about 11 years ago when I was 34 and haven't chewed since. First couple weeks was tough and I chewed gum like crazy for a few months but glad I did it.

If I smell a can of skoal to this day my mouth will water like a hound dog! :roflol:

Greg

• 11 months later...

Good for you, I dip copenhagen. I quit (stoppped)four time twice for a yr, once for 9 mths and another for 6 mths but something always came up and i went back. My problem is and was that its always around. I know that just an excuse, it's funny you posted again today because I've been thinking about stopping again. Good luck and stay strong.

OL

Congratulations.

I joined the Army in 1987, and the next year they began the smokeless transition for all services. It wasn't that you couldn't smoke, just not on maneuvers, or in the buildings on post. All schools I went to after that time were smoke-free for the most part. I went from smoking cigarettes, to chewing leaf and plug as I preferred the flavor. I met a great gal in 91 who let me know that I would get more of what I wanted, if I didn't chew. Now we aren't together anymore, but that was a good trade in my book. I've got a lot of memories, and a warm-fuzzy instead of bleeding gums, and other dental/esophogeal issues.

Strange thing is, I tried it again about five years back at a friends cook-out. I don't know why I ever liked nicotine. I guess you really can't go back in some ways.

JZ

I never did the stuff,,but if you could see my brother-in law now you would never want to chew,dip,,

but then again it does not effect everyone the same way !!!!!

I quit after MANY years but for some stupid reason picked it back up during my divorce, whatever you do DON'T TRY IT AGAIN! stopping the second time is mess harder than the first time. One thing about it as expensive as this crap has gotten you'll be able to afford shooting goodies :-)

Good job and my hat's off to ya! Later,

Kirk

I've been off it since March and still have times when I really want a dip. I just think about the money that I am saving (or spending on shooting related items) and it is all worth it. Congrats on doing it cold turkey. I couldn't have done that. I quit using Chantix and it really does work.

I dipped through high school and for a few years after. At an outing I ended up on some home videos that showed me with a lip full of dip.......I then realized how RIDICULOUS I looked with that dip in my lip. I then quit. That was over 20 years ago and I still get a craving for it on occasion.

Go ahead be a quitter.....................