Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon's Greatest Innovation

What got me thinking about this was the recent replacement of an old style seating die with one of the newer ones that has the removable insert. What a pleasure it is when loading lead bullets to be able to remove, clean, and replace it in a couple minutes without losing any adjustments.

Such a clever solution to a common problem.

BBBB,

Yes, the new style seat die design is a simple, brilliant inovation. Back in the day, to clean a gummed up seat die, I'd have to remove the die, clamp the die body in a bench vise, then take a pair of vice-grips to the (silly knurled knob on the) seating stem, to get it out of the die body.

The first massive improvment I thought of was going to the case-activated powder drop/measure, from the previous hand-push/spring loaded return powder bar. And then also the press-activated priming bar operation. I think both of those came with the 400 or 450, from the RL 300.

be

What got me thinking about this was the recent replacement of an old style seating die with one of the newer ones that has the removable insert. What a pleasure it is when loading lead bullets to be able to remove, clean, and replace it in a couple minutes without losing any adjustments.

Such a clever solution to a common problem.

I bought Dillon's 44 Magnum dies for that very reason: Loading lead bullets. I like them enough that it looks like there are a few more Dillon pistol die sets in my near future. If you look at all the little things Dillon has improved on, it makes it hard to just distinguish one innovation. If compared to other like products on the market, their attention to detail and over-all quality really stands out!

I would have to say the dillon 450, the 1st affordable progressive press.

I remember before the 450 coming out there was the star loader, and those sold for over $1000 1980's dollars.

the 450 were sold direct from the factory, no middle man and priced so it was within reach for most of the shooters out there.

I don't think the all of the action pistol would have been so popular without it.

if you don't think so, try loading a 1000 rounds of practice ammo on a rockchucker :surprise:

I hate to disagree with our gracious host, but....

I would argue whether we could include "case-activated powder measure" as a Dillon innovation, as it was actually patented by Lee Precision, but I will say that Dillon's adoption of the idea improved their presses dramatically over the RL-450.

I think that Mike Dillon will go down in history as the person who made top-shelf quality progressive reloading machines accessible to the masses, so I would agree with those who say "marketing".

On the mechanical side, I would say the XL-650, since that press was a quantum leap forward in its price niche.

Nothing better than Dillion Reloaders and their No BS warranty. I just wonder what new innovations they have up their sleeve? A new tool head with an additional station to automaticlly case gauge the loaded round ?

You can already have that, it's called a "Lee Factory Crimp Die". :ph34r:

The catalog cover is what brought their brand name to my attention every month for a decade until I was finally brainwashed enough to buy a press. :roflol:

• 4 months later...