Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight USPSA E-Magazine

DyNo!

Even if times are not tough for everyone, I think USPSA could allocate its money more effectively if it made Front Sight primarily a PDF magazine.

Before I write USPSA and suggest this to Mr. Bond how does this sound:

Membership rates stay the same regardless of any changes. You may "opt-in" if you would like a print version of Front Sight. Many people will not bother to opt-in and many more will appreciate the convenience of an electronic magazine for these reasons below. You will still be getting what you pay for; the experience of reading front sight and the ability to read it as you please.

The benefits of the PDF version are:

You may view it as soon as it releases while others wait on the mail to be delivered.

It allows continuous editing - mistakes and mis-prints can be fixed in minutes.

Most importantly, it saves money -OR- allows it to be allocated in other areas (and for those of you who care about the environment, it saves paper waste and gas).

The old fashioned print version of Front Sight would not go away (although plans to phase it out could be made).

Back issues would be quickly accessible.

If USPSA would like to make it accessible to members only, access could be restricted using the existing password system.

USPSA could make certain issues available without a membership in order to increase promotion to non-members (Like the free print version of Front Sight).

Hopefully, it would give USPSA thousands of dollars to increase the awareness of shooting sports and bring in new shooters!

Instead of emailing the new change to the members of the organization, it can be made public in the existing version of Font Sight. Members can look inside the cover to see where to find it on the USPSA site.

Any criticisms?

#1 There exists the opportunity for digital piracy however; given the audience, it should be minimal. In fact, I'd bet that greater numbers of the print version would be loaned out and acquired for free than digital copies stolen. I believe that the vast majority of us would like the organization to flourish and that those of us reading the magazine are likely paying members anyway (or hopefully soon will be).

Now that we've potentially saved USPSA tens of thousands of dollars, someone please consider hiring me; I can do the same for you! :lol:

-Cameron

Edited by DyNo!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me personally, this would be fine. I spend most of every day in front of a computer, so an online magazine is great. But that might not work as well for many. However, an option based delivery would work for both.

The other issue I see is the lack of the ability of give my Front Sight away to a non-competing gun owner as part of the processes of getting them to come out and play the game. This could be solved by a 10-16 page PDF "Intro" Front Sight magazine. I can afford to print that for a friend.

The NRA has gone or is going to an e-option with American Rifleman.

Electronic and print mags reach different audiences. I am not a marketing guy but here is my take:

1. If you send it in electronic form you save lots of money but you will never be able to use it as a marketing tool since only members will see it. If you allow non members to see it you take away a benefit of membership.

2. Not all members even have email which means we stil have to publish and if we publish less copies, our per copy cost increases.

3. Advertising dollars are spent in print mags because they reach more than just those who subscribe or members. I pass mine on to folks that might join and shooters will look at the magazine in offices and gun shops so the idea is that for every magazine published, it is seen by say 2 people making the scope wider.

4. About 10 years ago USPSA published IN TOUCH that was 4 pages with little or no ads and mailed to members. If USPSA would send IN TOUCH in an electronic form they could increase membership communication, add advertising revenue and do so for almost free. T he only real cost would be salaries of the staff but we have to pay them anyway.

The BOD kicked around some options while I was on the BOD so I would encourage anyone who has ideas to pass them to your AD.

The primary problem I see with that plan is the loss of ad revenue. I'd have to know how those numbers shake out -- i.e. whether the magazine is self-funding now, and what impact going to an all-electronic form would have on the bottom line....

"The magazine probably doesn't cost very much to produce with the return from the ads."

"2. Not all members even have email which means we stil have to publish and if we publish less copies, our per copy cost increases."

No need for email - if the change was printed for an entire year on the very first page (similar to the login/password) it would give all existing members notice of the change. New members would be advised of the change as a part of their "welcome aboard" packet.

I did not consider how advertisers might react as well as economies of scale as far as printing goes. Both would be important things to examine but under the right circumstances, they wouldn't be deal-killers. It's definitely something that requires hard data.

-Also-

If proposed and enacted, it would still be possible to give your friend a physical magazine old506.

"1. If you send it in electronic form you save lots of money but you will never be able to use it as a marketing tool since only members will see it. If you allow non members to see it you take away a benefit of membership."

It would be easy to allow non-members to see either a heavily abbreviated portion or - a few out of date magazines to determine if it is something they'd like to sign up for (I'd bet that the number of members who sign up for a regular copy of front sight is very small).

Edited by DyNo!

Whether it goes online or not, I wouldnt mind an opt out option, I really never read it, and only keep it around for the occasional need for the password, I didnt know the NRA had an e version. I would just assume cut that magazine off as well. It is really bad. Bad news political crap, Every gun ever made is great and flawless gun reviews, and oh boy oh boy another 1911 story.

Whether it goes online or not, I wouldnt mind an opt out option, I really never read it, and only keep it around for the occasional need for the password, I didnt know the NRA had an e version. I would just assume cut that magazine off as well. It is really bad. Bad news political crap, Every gun ever made is great and flawless gun reviews, and oh boy oh boy another 1911 story.

What he said...

I would just assume cut that magazine off as well.

The NRA will let you get an "associate" membership for $10/yr (instead of $35); the only difference is that you don't get a magazine. You do still get mail saying "OMG YOUR MEMBERSHIP IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE SEND MORE MONEY NOW" a month after renewing. (BTW: Thanks, USPSA, for sending one, timely renewal notice!) I did this for a couple years, as I feel the same way about their publications. Front Sight, on the other hand, I actually do read and enjoy.

To cancel this drift, I would be for a digital-only Front Sight but I understand why it won't happen. The comments made by various individuals about giving a copy or two to prospective members, I hadn't thought of . . . but now that I've heard the idea I'm going to steal it when I see my gunnie friends on Tuesday!

-- John.

Edited by John Tuley

I suspect that Front Sight is a revenue-positive pursuit and thus it'd make little sense to pull the plug on the print version--in whole or in part.

Kimber doesn't give a dime to our shooters but it buys full page ads every month. Apparently it's still worth it to them.

Joe4d, you can opt out. USPSA also has an associate membership that does not include the magazine. Costs only $25.00.

I would like to see an online magazine, but as a suplement to the paper mag. Then it might be worth the $40.00.......maybee.

So it is known, my proposal would not get rid of a hard copy. It's definitely not a decision of whether the print copy should be discontinued in favor of a digital one.

It is a discussion of whether a digital copy could compliment a smaller number of print copies.

I think the idea has some merit, only if presented as an option.

My copies are relegated to "library" status. By that, I mean they are within arms reach of the "throne", where I do most my reading. Since there's no PC in the Throne Room, a PDF would be of little value for me.

Before I write USPSA and suggest this to Mr. Bond...

I now see how you support your own argument.

If you actually read the Front Sight magazine you receive you'd know by now that Charles Bond is no longer the Area 6 Director.

That position has since been supplanted by Linda Chico a few months ago.

I am all for electronic age... but....

even being 28, I hate emagazines. Give me a hard cover. Just like books. I want to read it, flip it, write in it, pass it to others. If it is digital, I would be forced to print it numerous times anyway.

I say give folks an option to opt out of print, and opt in to digital, but dont get rid of paper.

even being 28, I hate emagazines. Give me a hard cover. Just like books. I want to read it, flip it, write in it, pass it to others. If it is digital, I would be forced to print it numerous times anyway.

Yeah!

.....and you can't take it to the Throne Room!

Another vote to keep the printed edition as an option. I spend most of my time day in front of a computer, but when I want to read something that requires thought, I print it out. I don't know why, but I find it easier to read a hardcopy than I do something on a moniter. I also agree with Mark and others in the fact that I like being able to read the magazine somewhere other than sitting in front of my computer.

Yeah!

.....and you can't take it to the Throne Room!

I didnt want to say it... want to keep it pg-13. =P

I like the idea of keeping both. An online edition does offer some more possibilities;

1. Hot links to advertisers. Click on an advert and go to that company's web-site. If there is a match write up and they mention some of the sponsors in the article then those too would be hot-links. Click on a shooter's name from an article and it could bring up that shooter's web-page or classification record.

2. For photographs we could have hot-links to videos, so you could read about a match and click on an icon to show some video of the stages etc.

3. Searchable for keywords etc..

not only do i vote for keeping paper edition, i vote to go monthly. only magazine i look forward too. i have enough radiation leaking into me daily..lol. and will not be buying a $400 ipad to read a $3 magazine

Edited by sdm74

I like the idea of keeping both. An online edition does offer some more possibilities;

1. Hot links to advertisers. Click on an advert and go to that company's web-site. If there is a match write up and they mention some of the sponsors in the article then those too would be hot-links. Click on a shooter's name from an article and it could bring up that shooter's web-page or classification record.

2. For photographs we could have hot-links to videos, so you could read about a match and click on an icon to show some video of the stages etc.

3. Searchable for keywords etc..

Great ideas! Keep both with the option to drop hard copy if not wanted.

I understood in order to be an associate member you have to have a full member at the same address for USPSA, for NRA I am a life member, so dont know about the magazine, I guess it is easier to throw away than to stay on hold forever punching numbers tryong to get someone to cut off magazine without cutting off membership.

I would be willing to bet front sight makes money for USPSA,

Normal issues mailed Bi-monthly

E-Issues avalable every month.

1: can you get the avertisers to pony up more money?

2: having enough articals that we all enjoy reading every month. (page filling articals covering the latest Hi-Point 3 Gun pistol / Carbine Craze is now the main focus of Guns & Ammo)