Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First DQ given

EkuJustice

Had to give my first DQ at a local 3 gun match. It was a newer left hand shooter moving left to right with the rifle broke the 180 BAD. At least no one took a 7.62x39mm round. He did take it well also

Edited by EkuJustice

My first DQ I gave out really made me sick at first like I had somehow failed the shooter. Shooter opened a port door with the muzzle of weakhanded gun. Finger was in trigger guard and right as I opened my mouth to say something BOOM! a pretty little 9mm hole was through that door. Shooter was half way through unloading the gun by the time I said STOP. He was a real gentleman about it and very apologetic and respectful. The second shooter I DQ'd was not so nice and very argumentative about it. The rules are made to keep people from getting killed playing or watching this game as well as keep the game fair. It gets easier, but stay vigilant.

Had to give my first DQ at a local 3 gun match. It was a newer left hand shooter moving left to right with the rifle broke the 180 BAD. At least no one took a 7.62x39mm round. He did take it well also

You are WRONG to think that you gave anything. Shooters earn DQ's.

Glad to hear that the shooter took it well. I saw a young kid do the same at a 3-gun and him and his dad acted like we were a bunch of scared wusses- because his son had "just joined the Army and they don't have a 180 rule". The RO let them know that the rest of us weren't in the Army (at least not right then) and this wasn't a "live fire exercise".

...because his son had "just joined the Army and they don't have a 180 rule".

I hope his Drill Sergeant is as understanding when he goes out to his first range for Basic Marksmanship/Zero. :D

Sometimes Soldiers (and other servicemembers) go to places with no 180-rule. Of course, most of those places are two-way shooting ranges. Different rules for different places.

Shooters earn their DQs. The RO makes sure they receive what they earn.

I got my first, and hopefully my last, DQ this past weekend.

I past a window and proceded to the next window, engaged the targets, realized I missed the window on my left. I took about 2.5 steps back, engaged the target and was just past the 180.

NO arguements here. It was all my fault.

The only problem I have is after the DQ, we were at the next stage and I overheard the scorekeeper say to the "RO" ...."Oh that's right you DQ'ed him on the last stage, I remember you laughing about it"!!!

I thought what the "RO" did, by laughing, is totally uncalled for.

There is nothing funny about a DQ for anyone involved. That includes the shooter, the RO, the scorekeeper, and the squad and any spectators. While it is almost always a "learning moment" for everyone, it certainly should never be considered humorous!

• 5 months later...

Agree with Kevin's statement that you didn't "give" him a DQ....his actions caused the DQ to be awarded.

Same with putting the cuffs on DWI drivers. They were always whining "Why are you doing this to me?"

"Oh...so it was ME who poured all that alcohol down your throat while holding you down and twisting your arm to force you to consume it? AND then it was ME who made you get behind the wheel and drive like an idiot causing the wreck that I happened to find you inside of still trying to drive a car that was pinned against the drivers door so you couldn't get out of it?

I'm sorry .....now that you've taken the time to explain it to me I now see just how its MY fault that your life is going to be "ruined" by this DWI conviction and how you will have my job tomorrow and your lawyer daddy will make me regret the day I was born. CLEARLY it's all my fault ."

(And he was pretty f-ing funny trying frantically to escape through a 2 foot thick oak tree pinned against the driver's side door while the passenger door was completely undamaged. The closer I walked towards the car the harder he threw himself against the driver's side door. I then opened the passenger door and said "Hey ____ get over here!" and then our dialogue started..)

Next time tell the complaining guy : "I'm sorry but was it you that had control of the weapon or was it ME ? Oh so it WAS you..which is why it's YOUR DQ not MINE."

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to hear that the shooter took it well. I saw a young kid do the same at a 3-gun and him and his dad acted like we were a bunch of scared wusses- because his son had "just joined the Army and they don't have a 180 rule". The RO let them know that the rest of us weren't in the Army (at least not right then) and this wasn't a "live fire exercise".

What a lame attempt at covering up a clear screw-up by bathing everyone in testosterone. I'm pretty sure the match wasn't in Afghanistan and the cardboard wasn't charging him with an AK-47.

Being active duty myself, I hate it when people use their military status as an excuse to do dumb/dangerous stuff.

I've been in the Army for 9 years and we shoot more than 99.9% of the military where I work. Most of the Army is Support and they only shoot one or two times a quarter, if that. His son probably gave him bad info and is to new to know what he is talking about. There is always a left and right limit and you must always keep your weapon pointed down range, especially being a "new guy". Even if it is a "live fire exercise" there are still left and right limits and OC's with the SBF, Base of Fire, and maneuver elements. The only exception is training CQB in the shoothouse and there are even additional safety precations in place like "hot walls" etc... If anything there are more "safety considerations" when I shoot at work whether it's a flat range or maneuver range than when I shoot a 3 gun or USPSA Pistol match. As far as being a "scared wuss", roger got it, I am a scared wuss about guys about being shot by some overconfident idiot that probably sucks anway at a match. I've been shot at enough already. I don't want to see anyone get shot, shoot themselves, or shoot me while I'm ROing a guy through a stage. I've only DQ'd 3 people and I didn't enjoy it at all, luckily they all took it well. Just my .02.

-Brandon

Edited by leadslinger275

I've been in the Army for 9 years and we shoot more than 99.9% of the military where I work. Most of the Army is Support and they only shoot one or two times a quarter, if that. His son probably gave him bad info and is to new to know what he is talking about. There is always a left and right limit and you must always keep your weapon pointed down range, especially being a "new guy". Even if it is a "live fire exercise" there are still left and right limits and OC's with the SBF, Base of Fire, and maneuver elements. The only exception is training CQB in the shoothouse and there are even additional safety precations in place like "hot walls" etc... If anything there are more "safety considerations" when I shoot at work whether it's a flat range or maneuver range than when I shoot a 3 gun or USPSA Pistol match. As far as being a "scared wuss", roger got it, I am a scared wuss about guys about being shot by some overconfident idiot that probably sucks anway at a match. I've been shot at enough already. I want to see anyone get shot, shoot themselves, or shoot me while I'm ROing a guy through a stage. I've only DQ'd 3 people and I didn't enjoy it at all, luckily they all took it well. Just my .02.

-Brandon

Boo ya.

:D

As MD/RM at our local matches, I get to affirm DQs usually every month. We get upwards of 65-90 shooters so the percentage isn't that high. Most of the DQs are 180 or occasionally finger calls while reloading or clearing a jam. A few we've recently had the shooter didn't get it that it was a DQ for the match, that there are no Stage DQs.

Example: Draw to engage a target at 15 yards arguably dead ahead, round impact the ground 45 degrees of from the target and only 9 feet from the shooter. "But I was engaging the target!"

Example: Shooter goes to the safe table and loads a dummy round into a mag and before anyone could stop him he proceeds to load the mag into the gun and cycle it. "But it wasn't real ammo!"

Most people take it well and quite a number stay and work even though they are done for the day. Every now and then we get one like the two above that just don't realize that they broke the rules and that the rules apply to them.

Example: Guy shows up at match to sign in, It is noticed he is wearing his gun, there are no safe tables in the direction he approached from so he is asked, "where did yo gear up?" to which he replies, "At my car, why?" "Sorry, but you are DQ'd" 'But at my home club we do this all the time!" Turns out that actually being from a carry state that club has a UNLOADING station outside the match proper. If he had A not lied and B understood, with the knowledge that he was confused by his home club's unloading station we' have let him stay, but the argument meant that he didn't get it and didn't understand the rules.

Only maybe one or two people in 10 years if ROing have not returned after a DQ. Most

Example: Guy shows up at match to sign in, It is noticed he is wearing his gun, there are no safe tables in the direction he approached from so he is asked, "where did yo gear up?" to which he replies, "At my car, why?" "Sorry, but you are DQ'd" 'But at my home club we do this all the time!" Turns out that actually being from a carry state that club has a UNLOADING station outside the match proper. If he had A not lied and B understood, with the knowledge that he was confused by his home club's unloading station we' have let him stay, but the argument meant that he didn't get it and didn't understand the rules.

Only maybe one or two people in 10 years if ROing have not returned after a DQ. Most

Not sure I understand how he 'lied', but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't return, just going off what you wrote here.

All the same, I'm glad I saw this, and I'll know to be aware of the possibility of such zealous interrogation should I travel somewhere that has different customs. :cheers:

Edited by motosapiens

That example is exactly what gets good people to not come back to matches. Nothing un-safe was done, he could have worn the gun from home if he wanted to in my opinion. :angry:

Not sure I understand how he 'lied', but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't return, just going off what you wrote here.

All the same, I'm glad I saw this, and I'll know to be aware of the possibility of such zealous interrogation should I travel somewhere that has different customs. :cheers:

@ motosapiens, While I agree with you wholeheartedly, look where Jim is from, not a "Free" state. I encountered this at a recent match out west here. It was my first time shooting at a new club. I had called to sign up for the match as it was an indoor match, spaces were limited and I knew it would be a little different. I didn't see anyone with their gear on outside so I took my bag and gun case inside with me. I did ask when/where I could uncase my gun and holster it. I was directed to the "safe area". Not knowing all of the rules of the new club I went to, I made the choice to ask and not assume. I live in an open carry state but the match was in a very liberal county, also known as "the People's Republic of xxxxxxx". There are clubs where your car IS considered a "safe area" out here though.

Issuing your first DQ is usually a rattling situation for the RO. I remember issuing my first DQ and I felt really bad about having to do it and being the person who did it, but those feelings never overruled the requirement of maintaining a safe shooting environment. Since then I have DQed more people than I care to count. All were justified and I still feel a little guilty when needing to do it. But the same basis of keeping everything safe always wins in the end when it comes to fighting my internal demons.

The best thing you can do is to take all personal variables out of the equation. When I am ROing I am running a generic Shooter. This shooter is just a shooter nothing more or less. I don’t care if they are my best friend, my worst enemy, a top flight GM, or a first time shooter. I treat everyone with respect in the same way. This is one thing that many RO’s could do better at. Intentionally overlooking a safety violation because its your buddy or a Top shooter who may be intimidating only breeds future bad behavior. Treating everyone the same is best for us all no matter where we compete.