Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First squib

Fathead302

Had my first squib yesterday, and it was on the clock. Luckily the projectile did not travel very far down the barrel, so it kept the next round from feeding. Even though it definitely sounded funny, in the heat of the stage I pulled the trigger again, saw the next round did not feed, racked the slide, and then realized something was not quite right.

Lesson learned the easy way (stage ruined, but hand and gun in good shape), slow down and pay attention while reloading, and definitely don't pull the trigger again when you hear, bangbangbangbangpop :excl:

I load on a 650 with a powder check and I still managed to load one squib in about 10K rounds last year. Unfortunately, it was one of my friends rounds, but fortunately, I was there to keep him from pulling the trigger again.

Yuck. I have never had one.... but I am sure my time is coming.

For those who have squibbed.... did you typically figure out what you did wrong?

I see them happen at my matches... but I typically assume the person is not a very methodical reloader.

I load on a 650 with a powder check and I still managed to load one squib in about 10K rounds last year. Unfortunately, it was one of my friends rounds, but fortunately, I was there to keep him from pulling the trigger again.

Dillon 650 with a powder check. Loads are 9mm, 115 grain Berry's Plated, Bullseye powder, Tula primers.

I can think of a few scenarios that would have caused the squib:

1-It was raining during the whole match, maybe the powder got wet. Unlikely

2-We were having lots of problems** while reloading these rounds, my guess is I short-stroked the press to clear one of the many jams, and failed to notice that I had not dropped powder in the case, and somehow the powder check failed to catch it also. Possible

3-somewhere in the 1200 rounds that were loaded in this one session I just got careless and didn't notice somehow. Most likely scenario.

We try and go slowly, pay attention, check powder drops frequently, and measure OAL occasionally. We even case gauge every single round as I have found it weeds out most of the split cases. But, I guess with the law of averages and the numbers of rounds that can be reloaded over time, its a matter of time before you get a bad one.

**This will be the last time I order Tula primers. While the press was decapping the cases, quite often the exposed end of the primer would rip off either partially or totally. In the case of partially ripping off,the primer would look like a partially opened tin can lid that has been bent up and it would jam up the shellplate. If the end totally ripped off, it would leave the sides of the primer in the case, and then the new primer would not be able to seat at all.

If you look right at the case w/powder, you will load faster, because your eye is accurately directing your hand/bullet to the case.

If necessary, mount a mirror on the press - and train yourself to confirm every single powder charge. You will load faster and more safely by doing that.

be

If you look right at the case w/powder, you will load faster, because your eye is accurately directing your hand/bullet to the case.

If necessary, mount a mirror on the press - and train yourself to confirm every single powder charge. You will load faster and more safely by doing that.

be

This may or may not work?

I know this is time consuming but I have been slowly working on loads for my Glock 35. I am not sure if this is even going to work but here is something I have been doing. I load ten rounds and visually watch the powder going into the case. After I load ten rounds I weight each one on the scale. The rounds all should be between 1 or 2 grains max from each other. If one is more or less than 3 grains I will not use it. I have noticed over time that if I use mixed brass this method will not work because each brand of brass(federal,speer,et.) weights differently. So I have to use the same head stamped brass for my reloading. I also made a chart of what each brand of a empty case weights. Is this stupid or what do you guys think?

be

I know this is time consuming but I have been slowly working on loads for my Glock 35. I am not sure if this is even going to work but here is something I have been doing. I load ten rounds and visually watch the powder going into the case. After I load ten rounds I weight each one on the scale. The rounds all should be between 1 or 2 grains max from each other. If one is more or less than 3 grains I will not use it. I have noticed over time that if I use mixed brass this method will not work because each brand of brass(federal,speer,et.) weights differently. So I have to use the same head stamped brass for my reloading. I also made a chart of what each brand of a empty case weights. Is this stupid or what do you guys think?

Stupid is an ugly word. But it is a huge waste of time I think. Brians recommendation is the best by far. Some things I do:

Wear safety "reading" glasses. If you need glasses for up close vision then make sure you do the same for reloading.

Flood the machine area with light. I can't say enough here.

Mount the press at a height that lets you look right into the brass on the shellplate.

Focus on the plate. I look directly at the shellplate and let my eyes see a primer in the cup and powder in the the case. My hands go to bullet and brass bins without me looking. It's all "feel" for me at that point.

This technique has gotten me to 400+ per hour on my 550. SAFELY!

Edited by Kevin Sanders

be

Stupid is an ugly word. But it is a huge waste of time I think. Brians recommendation is the best by far. Some things I do:

Wear safety "reading" glasses. If you need glasses for up close vision then make sure you do the same for reloading.

Flood the machine area with light. I can't say enough here.

Mount the press at a height that lets you look right into the brass on the shellplate.

Focus on the plate. I look directly at the shellplate and let my eyes see a primer in the cup and powder in the the case. My hands go to bullet and brass bins without me looking. It's all "feel" for me at that point.

This technique has gotten me to 400+ per hour on my 550. SAFELY!

Very nice list. I really like the "safety" addition to wearing reading glasses. Too many people think anything on the face is good enough. One minor comment. Anything one does to feel safer in reloading IMHO is never a waste of time. Time consuming, yes, waste, no. ;)

One minor comment. Anything one does to feel safer in reloading IMHO is never a waste of time.

There are so many variables involved when trying to weigh a loaded round that it will never be a tried and true way of making sure everything is there.

Scales vary

Powder throws vary

Accumulations of deposits in/on the brass vary alot

Bullets vary as much as a grain sometimes

You could probably tell if there was NO powder in a round but trying to see if there is the exact amount you think is in there is guessing at best.

Time consuming vs waste of time. Time consuming is doing something that you know will yield the results you are looking for such as maybe sorting brass or chamber checking every round you load. Wasting time is doing something that might be close, when you could do something better, easier and more accurate and know what you have. In this case improving your loading technique or paying closer attention while loading instead of weighing a round to see if you did it right.

Not arguing at all. I just think weighing rounds is a guessing game that will eventually let you down.

Edited by Kevin Sanders

I have my loader set up in a walkin closet. I mouted a cheap like 6 dollar clip on spot light I got from lowes on the wire shelf above the loader and have it shine on the shell plate. Easy to see if there is powder

be

Definitely a practice I will incorporate with all loading activity from now on. I guess I just took for granted that the powder check would catch a problem instead of using it as just one more check on top of visual verification of powder drop in each case.

Not arguing at all. I just think weighing rounds is a guessing game that will eventually let you down.

I can confirm that with absolute certainty.

be

Definitely a practice I will incorporate with all loading activity from now on. I guess I just took for granted that the powder check would catch a problem instead of using it as just one more check on top of visual verification of powder drop in each case.

IMO, the Powder Check System is only a backup to the visual inspection.

be

be

I can confirm that confirmation and it goes both ways.... too little or too much powder.

be

IMO, the Powder Check System is only a backup to the visual inspection.

be

Can I get a powder check system on a Dillion 550B?

• 4 years later...

powder check is a plus but i have seen my come out of adjustment over large loading sessions so pay attention that it is moving as well. I had a squib in a national steel match and the RO saved my gun and hands. with my electronic muffs I didn't hear the pop and repacked and was about to pull the trigger when the RO grabbed my shoulder and stopped me. Great RO Mike Silvetti. Bought him dinner. Saved me and my new custom built .45

I saw that. Indeed, Mike did a great job catching that and stopping you in time.
I was about 15 feet away and didn't hear any "pop", either. Of course there was a major match going on around us with a lot of background noise and shooting in the other bays.

Hopefully you bought him his favorite dinner - a tofu burger with a kale and spirulina smoothie. :devil:

The more light the better. Look into each shell to confirm. Simple as that.

If you are still loading without In-Line Fabrication's lighting system,

you are in The Dark Ages (pun intended) - costs $20, total, delivered.

Worth every penny. :cheers:

The more light the better. Look into each shell to confirm. Simple as that.

If you are still loading without In-Line Fabrication's lighting system,

you are in The Dark Ages (pun intended) - costs $20, total, delivered.

Worth every penny. :cheers:

Thanks Jack, I have looked at the website and can't find the light you reference for $20 total...can you provide a link or more detail ?

powder check is a plus but i have seen my come out of adjustment over large loading sessions so pay attention that it is moving as well. I had a squib in a national steel match and the RO saved my gun and hands. with my electronic muffs I didn't hear the pop and repacked and was about to pull the trigger when the RO grabbed my shoulder and stopped me. Great RO Mike Silvetti. Bought him dinner. Saved me and my new custom built .45

4 year old thread but I would rather have a powder check die come out of adjustment because I didn't tighten the jam nut tight enough than load a squib.

The worst that happens is that I double check a correctly charged round.

Not a lot of "kaboom" threads started because folks used powder check dies.

Edited by jmorris

So I've loaded two squibs in around 4000 rounds.

The first I can chalk up to poor procedure an inattention to detail. I was loading on a RCBS turret press an I must have loaded one without powder.

Lesson learned I changed the way I reloaded. I put every case with powder into a bullet tray, then I inspect all 50 cases for powder, amount and height (just in case a .380 slipped by all my checks). I then placed the bullets on top before seating and crimping.

Well sure as shit I had another squib. I know for a fact all the rounds had powder. I've scratched my head for 6 months and still can't figure it out.

So I switched to a Dillon 550 and I've been so extremely happy with the change. I find the visual check to be extremely easy standing over the press as I reload. I only load 200 rounds per hour but I'm extremely confident in the quality.

Bottom line squibs suck and they scare the shit out of me.

Quest for the Perfect Squib, then you have arrrived. Like the perfect miss, perfect Texas star and perfect frag....

image34512.jpg

image36030.jpg

image36857.jpg

image35185.jpg

Well....I can match you perfect squib for perfect squib, however, you got me on the perfect miss, perfect Texas star and perfect frag.....

post-54511-0-38923900-1432942445_thumb.j

Edited by Rainman4820

I found a high-ish primer that wouldn't go down even on the single stage press. Took it apart, full of powder, pushed out the primer and found tumbling media holding the primer up. Would it have squib'ed? Dunno, but I think it may have. Stuff happens, you can't catch it all. Stay awake while loading, but also while shooting!