Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice on running/workout shoes

Corey

I want to pick up a good pair of shoes for working out, running, playing deck hockey(roller hockey without roller blades, haha) etc etc. I wear Nike Shox for casual walking around shoes to work and so forth, but I've heard they may not be the best shoe for running. :unsure: What are some good shoes I should be looking at for an amatuer runner. If it matters, I'm about 5'11 ~200lbs (thus the reason for wanting to run more so I can lose weight).

Thanks!

Every person's foot is different. Go to a running shoe store and have them fit one for you.

It's what I did, and now I just buy the same shoe just the updated styles when I have enough miles on my current pair.

• 1 month later...

you cant just pick a shoe model without knowing the size and shape of your foot. My feet are straight, 90 % of the shoes on the market are curved, just look at the bottom. None of them fit me. Go to roadrunnersports.com you can learn alot there, join the club and they offer all kinds of helped, I sufferred for years in the Army buying theshoes from the px that caught my eye, Until I learned the whole none of them fit me thing from roadrunners.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend getting fitted. I also recommend taking a hard look at New Balance. I wore NB all the way through high school athletics, an Army career on through to present day. I haven't found another brand that fits my feet that meets the same price performance curve. Also remember if you're really doing serious running, be prepared to buy a new pair every 4-6 months.

Another vote for anything New Balance. They have wide widths readily available in almost all their shoes so they are much more comfortable to us wide footers.

• 3 weeks later...

Get some Vibrams Five Fingers, take your time getting used to them, never look back. I have never felt so good running as I have since I started using these. I have done my fair share of running too.

I use LaSportiva http://www.zappos.com/la-sportiva-crosslite-black however I am going to try the five-fingers my friends pair were great for running

I also agree with everyone that is telling you to go to a shoe store and get fitted properly. My first 5 years in the Army I wore the wrong shoes and I hated running. I went with a buddy who runs a lot and got fitted. As it turns out I over pronate and wearing Nike and Asics was killing my feet. Now I wear Saucony. Don't be afraid to spend a little extra money on a good set of shoes either.

Get some Vibrams Five Fingers, take your time getting used to them, never look back. I have never felt so good running as I have since I started using these. I have done my fair share of running too.

The five fingers are a good choice for running and general fitness. I like the added proprioception the thin soles offer.

+1&2 on Vibrams

Vibrams or great for fitness and everyday use. You will bring out your full potental in agility and speed with vibrams. If you dont like vibrams i would recommend any quality running shoe with a minimulist sole. Merrell make some really good running shoesmerrell running shoes

When all else fails there nothing better than running barefoot :cheers:

Replacing shoes on a miles or time interval is a good idea too. It may have been mentioned before, but it's worth mentioning again. I think the basic metric is every 300 - 500 miles you replace them. So depending on your weekly miles, time will vary.

Must agree with coach...only excuse for running?

The icecream truck driver didn't see you.

Seriously go to a store that deals with running shoes as their primary business.

What works for one person you just may absolutely hate on your feet.

Buddy of mine swore by Asics and so I went out a purchased a pair soley on his recommendation....big mistake.

I wore Adidas marathon trainers and loved them.

You gotta go get fitted by someone who knows running and runners and see if you like them.

Change them often for new pairs to avoid back and knee injuries.

To find a store in your area there should be some listed in the back of a copy of Runner's World magazine.

JK

• 4 weeks later...

Corey,

The suggestions are good about getting fitted. There is usually a running store in every sity of any size and most will spend the time to fit you properly. The local running store here will let you take the shoes for a run and then return them if you don't like the fit.

My suggestion for road shoes is Brooks. They are great for heavy runners. Trail shoes I can't recommend the Salomon Speedcross strongly enough. Not only are they are the best trail shoes I have ever tried, they are the best shoe to shoot in I have found.

Colin

• 1 month later...

I went minimalist about 2 1/2 years ago on footwear and have never looked back, I love the Vibram Five Fingers and hav shot every major 3 gun in them but also trail run, street run, work out, hike etc. But I also like the Inov8 shoes the very light minimal sole models X-lite 195, have a set with cleats and flat soled. I will never wear a healed type athletic shoe again, my feet love me the closer I get them to barefoot, as nature intended, just need a little protection from the elements is all

jc

Great advise on goin into a running store and getting fitted. I do this currently for people at my work. Asics and New Balance are both excellent options. Check out the Asics next time the inside of the sole will have a gray insert or just be plain white. The gray insert is for extra stability... Like flat feet or people who just want the support. If the insole is solid white its for the neutral runner. I wear the Asics nimbus- neutral shoe. New balance is the same except they normaly have a wider toe-box. People with wider feet sometimes will prefer this. Vibrams are good but not for everyone. They take a lot of getting used to. Especially if your big like me. 6' 250lbs. Currently I wear newbalance 573 trail shoes... Love em.

• 4 weeks later...

You are dead on the money for running but for training, I would say that one of the new balance minimus shoes would be better; I do all of my fitness training in either the vibram five finger shoes or the new balance minimus shoes, they allow your foot to be strengthened & function correctly without any artifical support (which can actually cause problems in the long run); In today's fitness training world, we have come full circle back to functional training for all of your training needs, if you get very specific about your training, as in, our longest stages in action shooting are 25-30 sec. max, so your training should be based on that; I do fairly solid bike rides as part of my training, but I spin for 2 -5 min. with 20-40 sec. sprints in between for 30-40 min, that actually does more good than riding for 2 hours without sprinting. I also do a considerable amount of kettle bell training and power yoga based training for functional flexibility, burst speed & powerful movement; Just my two cents , but FYI, I am 51 now, and am in better shape than I have ever been, I have spent 33 years in the military with over 10 years in the SOF community and am still currently serving in the USAR. I didn't learn any of this from them, I had to find it out by working with some of the top Trainers and Physical Therapists in the US.

Every person's foot is different. Go to a running shoe store and have them fit one for you.

It's what I did, and now I just buy the same shoe just the updated styles when I have enough miles on my current pair.

Edited by MQW

• 2 weeks later...

I replace my shoes when they wear out. I do about 30 miles per week so 300 to 500 would be crazy. I buy about 2 pairs a year but I rotate between 3 or 4 pairs depending on where and how far I am running. I am 5'11 and 200 also and I have worn Nike lunar glides, this may sound funny but they are noisy. saucony and Adidas they all work. New balance shoes don't work for me. For trail running I wear only Adidas.