Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Daylight savings time

Jeeper

We don't change our clocks in Arizona. :)

Pssssssst. You want to buy a watch? :ph34r:

Honestly, we don't. Arizona and I believe the eastern part of Indiana do not adjust there

clocks. Unless of course it's after replacing a dead battery or a power failure.

Jim

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many people are going to be an hour late in the morning to set up the match?.I have a feeling there will be a few late arrivals after the match starts also.Slackers :D

I'll see your ire and raise you a full mouth frothing rant.....

DST is bothersome to be sure. But far more bothersome is the innumerable patches to operating systems, java software kits, databases and application servers. The multitude of notes available from oracle as to what to upgrade where was so unorganized that they finally had to publish a note on how to use the notes. And once I had the DST patches up to snuff (finished all 6 servers, four databases, five applications last wednesday), I spent the whole day today trying to do a version upgrade to an application only to have it blow serious data chunks into the bandwith. I literally spent 12 hours today following a complex ritual of steps that included nearly everything short of waiving incense, chanting, and sacrificing small animals only to have to roll it all back because of an error in the last few steps.

I'm having a stiff drink and going to bed early so I can be bright eyed tomorrow. No eff'ing overpaid, booger eating, code whacking, software puke monkey who writes crappy updates is going to win this battle.

To top it off I got home from work and guess what...power outage. Yeah, those 40 plus pages of new posts I had yet to read, gone...bye-bye...empty. I suppose if there was anything really interesting, it pop up again.

Now...where's the vodka!

I work in the medical industry(primarily xray) and you woould not beleive the pain it has been for me and my customers. Any newer equipment which runs a windows OS has to have these patches installed, and as many of these machines cannot be on a large network(instead they are on private neworks that are guarded heavily) we cannot ftp into them and install the patch. The customer cannot install it as they do not have the hardware key that will allow them administrator rights to change them so I have run all over my state this week installing patches that just got certified by the fda as ok. It takes 15-30 minutes per machine but when you drive 2 hours to work on 3 machines your day is shot and you werent very productive. All the older equipment ran a proprietory OS that would allow the customer to change date and time so it was no big deal. But alas everyone in the industry wants their machine to be windows based, its a sad day. :(

A freind of mine runs a Dairy Farm. The 420 cows he milks twice a day don't give a shit what we do with the clocks. 5.00am and 5.00pm they are lining up to be juiced. If we move the clocks they don't knowor care, they are full and need emptying.

As my brother tends to say when asked what the time is, he had two std answers, depending on whether the sun was up or not, Daytime and Nighttime. You sleep when required, usually the lights are out.

But!! when he was between jobs he used to get up at the crack of noon???

We muck around with time all the time.... it is not really a 'fixed" item... we just have "conventions".

Ever hear of the International Date line? That's a doozy! Why d'you think so many organisations operate on "Zulu" or GMT?

Hell.. when I fly from Sydney to LAX it takes 13 and a half hours.. but I get in several hours BEFORE I LEFT! Bet some folks reckon THAT is "wrong"!

Even HAVING a convention as to "what time" it is "here" is quite recent.. and was driven by the railroads in the US... Until they came along noone could travel fast enough to notice the differences in 'local noon" across the country. The early railroad timetables had to have complex tables to help folks calculate connections in the major cities... based on what local time conventions existed at 'feeder" towns....

No offence meant.. but I suspect those who object most strongly to DST (particularly those who lean toward calling it "unnatural" - as if ANY timekeeping is "natural!!!) are descendents of those who protested against the introduction of "standard time" by zone across the country..... the protests sound familiar today too... some living near the zone boundaries couldn't understand why they had to get up an "hour earlier" than those "lazy bums" on the other side of the line.... :D

And yes, DST mostly dates from WWII.... where the Brits even went to "Double Summer time".

The logic is impeccable when resources are scarce. DST makes a BETTER match of daylight hours to 'waking" hours.... It ain't perfect of course.. what is? It saved the Brits a LOT of fuel.. that is for certain.....

It works best where day length varies more from summer to Winter.... and worst where such variation is minimal.... here in Australia our Northern States don't have it at all for that reason... but it works well in the more southern areas....

I have no idea if my ancestors objected to Standard time zones. But if I were king of the forest the whole planet would be on UTC. Then when one agreed on a business call at 13:00 hours everyone would know when it was going to happen, and, no longer would I arrive one place before I departed another.

• 11 months later...

The worst part is, now that they changed the Date of the time Change, My Atomic alarm clocks dont recognize it. The clocks dont change automatically on this date, but they will, on the date it used to change. Now I have to remember to change them again in a few weeks. Who gets to decide on this time change date anyway?

Sucks getting up even earlier, but I don't mind the extra light we're getting in the evening now!

That is the big lie. Check with your local astronomer. There was no extra daylight gained by changing the clocks.

(not picking on you Matt, your post was just closest to my pet peeve with the whole clock changing B.S. :) )

And now that we are on Daylight Saving Time nearly 9 months of the year, should we not now rename DST to STANDARD TIME and leave it there????

Not a good day to change time for me either after an 18 1/2 (5:am-11:30) day shooting a match yesterday.........

Sounds like you should have taken the mike on tht last piece of steel. :mellow:

Wasn't the steel, was all the overlays........... :rolleyes:

The worst part is, now that they changed the Date of the time Change, My Atomic alarm clocks dont recognize it. The clocks dont change automatically on this date, but they will, on the date it used to change. Now I have to remember to change them again in a few weeks. Who gets to decide on this time change date anyway?

Hmm.. my atomic clock clicked over fine (it was real fun trying to set the alarm last night-- do I set it for what time it should be, or will be if it doesn't?). The others, not so much fun. I do like the 'extra' hour of daylight, though as somebody says "it's like finding a quarter in your car-- the only person that could have dropped it there is you.."

Sucks getting up even earlier, but I don't mind the extra light we're getting in the evening now!

That is the big lie. Check with your local astronomer. There was no extra daylight gained by changing the clocks.

(not picking on you Matt, your post was just closest to my pet peeve with the whole clock changing B.S. :) )

And now that we are on Daylight Saving Time nearly 9 months of the year, should we not now rename DST to STANDARD TIME and leave it there????

I know there is the same amount of light per day, but since I don't get up till at least 9am it seems like extra light to me!! :D

It's all a buncha bogus B.S.!!!! I hate it, I hate it!!

It screws up everyone's bio-clock, not all states observe this insane ritual (but many do), and is the railroad still sticking with Standard Time (they used to, doggedly, no matter the rest of the country)...?

:rolleyes::angry2::rolleyes::angry2::rolleyes: Stupid idea. Utterly and completely.