Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

texas star

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head, Arms then legs.

I had never heard anyone put it in those terms. That makes it easy for any new shooter to remember it! :cheers:

Right on, doing my first steel match next weekend. Good pointer!

Still my favorite star video of all time, you have to wait for the music to really get a good chuckle.

omfg!!!!!!! :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

That's awesome, just got myself a cup of coffee and didn't miss a thing. :surprise:

Last year, my buddy told me to start on the bottom of the Texas star my first time out.

Just never know when some guys are giving you good advice or just screwing with you

Hmmm, I think someone bearing a remarkable resemblance to me said that about you two

I prefer to shoot down one side. Every plate should rock to a slightly lower position than the plate I shot at previously. Any way you tackle it will take practice. It's all good fun (until you shoot to slide lock!)

• 2 weeks later...

The best way I've found to shoot a Texas Star with my Limited/Production gun is clockwise starting at 12 o'clock. When it starts to rotate, the plates come up to meet your sights. I've seen them shot the fastest "head, arms, legs" but the transitions could cause problems if you miss a plate.

Agree 100%. If you start at the top and move down one side the plates just move to you as it rotates and you barely move the gun to get the plate into your sights. It's pretty simple like that. NOW WHEN I put it in the match, I put steel hardcover on both sides so you can't shoot it so simply. One on the right down low and the other on the left up high. It's not very nice but at least it's a new level of challenging.

• 1 month later...

Here is how I shoot a normal Texas star, take the head first, top plate, then shoot the right leg, five o'clock position, then the left arm, ten o'clock position, then the right arm, two o'clock position, and finally the left leg which should be in the seven o'clock position. If you get your hits, it barely moves. Remember, head, leg, arm, arm, leg. Five shots an move to the next array.

Hope this helps.

Sometimes you have to be carefull who you shoot with when you are a newbie! Last year, my buddy told me to start on the bottom of the Texas star my first time out. When the whirlie gig slowed down 2 minutes later I wasn't sure I would have enough rounds in the mags to finish the stage! Needless to say,,, everyone thought is was funny!

I think I would knee cap him......

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes you have to be carefull who you shoot with when you are a newbie! Last year, my buddy told me to start on the bottom of the Texas star my first time out. When the whirlie gig slowed down 2 minutes later I wasn't sure I would have enough rounds in the mags to finish the stage! Needless to say,,, everyone thought is was funny!

I think I would knee cap him......

+1

I always shoot the right arm first and just stay there and hit them when they come to my sight

This is what I tried to do...but it took me about 2.5 mags to finish the star in my first match yesterday. It's my first time ever seeing that darn thing.

I had an interesting experience at a star yesterday in a local match. The star is called, the Death Star.

It is a set of 2 stars, with the front one covering the rear one. The front is all no-shoots, and the rear one is activated spinning with a popper. It was at the end of kind of a long stage, so I shot the 20 rounds I had left on me on the star, and only cleared 2 plates. You had to shoot through a port, and I had to akwardly crouch down a little because I am taller than most, which I think affected my shooting. I did not hit any of the no-shoots, but it was really disappointing to not clear the stage. It forced me to trap the plates, which I guess I am not very good at. I have shot regular stars before and can track them good and clear them pretty fast when doing that, but with the no-shoots in front, it was a pain to clear the rear rack.

I shot one today that was partially hidden behind Steel HC. One of the things I learned is that you need to know the stars movement. I took two plates off the bottom quickly. This had the effect of keeping the star balanced for several seconds. Once it started to move it built up a good rotation because I had a tendency to take off the leading plate. The quickest way to shoot the star was to take off the first plate and then let it start to move before engaging any other plates.

The Star is a lot of fun. I purchased one this year along with a spinner. Whats really fun is to spin the star by hand and then shoot it.

I like to find a way to make it harder actually such as hooking a motor up to it to get it spinning at a better clip. Thought about putting no shoots behind it but then people start calling me a dick.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

The Star is a lot of fun. I purchased one this year along with a spinner. Whats really fun is to spin the star by hand and then shoot it.

I like to find a way to make it harder actually such as hooking a motor up to it to get it spinning at a better clip. Thought about putting no shoots behind it but then people start calling me a dick.

Pat

My club has gone as far as painting one plate black as a no shoot to add to the challenge.

Pat

My club has gone as far as painting one plate black as a no shoot to add to the challenge.

I hope they make it the top plate :devil:

• 1 month later...

I have been told so many different ways to shoot the Texas star. Shoot the top and then the next two on either side and so on. I have also been told to shoot one and wait for them to come around. They are a lot of fun until the last plate tic-tocing back & forth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stars were a pain when I started shooting competitiveley three years ago. The club I have been shooting with, has 5 or 6 stars with 5-7 plates each. They have 6, 8, and 10 inch plates, and a few have holes cut out of the middle so that you are just shooting a donut shape.

Last weekend we had a stage with 4 stars. Started in box a surrender position, engaged star on left and then star on right that were about 10 yards out. Double tapped two statics that were at 25 yards, moved to box B (downrange) and engaged two more starts set on left and right at 10 yards, then double tap statics that were now about 15 yards out. It was my favorite stage of 6 for the day. I ran it with my tricked out limited XD chambered for 9mm and mags that hold 15 rounds each. My run was 40.xx seconds.

I shoot top to bottom and work side to side to prevent the star from moving. The bad part to that plan is if I happen to miss. I did on that run, so I had to chase a couple plates. I just can't seem to make myself let the star start to spin and wait for the plates to come to me. I tell new shooters to wait for the star to pause before it changes direction and to take the plates then. I can now get plates while they are moving, but it is hopeless for new shooters to try and chase them.

P.S. Does the BE forum not have a spell check?