Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unsafe gun storage incident

Sam

I'll admit that there is a certain sense of humor about this post. It was forwarded to me by a shooting buddy from a NSSF newsletter. The reason I didn't post it in the humor thread is that it really happened and the results could have been more tragic. There was another gun storage incident in the same newsletter that was horrible. I don't know which newspaper this came from maybe some of you Texans know? Maybe we could start a gun safety thread to cover this kind of unsafe behavior

Last Update: Saturday, March 27, 2004. 9:16am (AEDT)

Fish sticks go off with a bang

A Texas woman heating fish sticks was shot in the leg on Friday by a gun that had been stashed in her oven, police said.

They say Roxanne Perez, 29, was taken to a local hospital where she was in good condition.

Police say a friend of hers had hidden the .357 calibre handgun in the stove two weeks earlier without telling her after she told him no guns were allowed in her house.

When Perez heated up the fish sticks she also heated up the gun, which caused several rounds to be fired. One hit her in the leg.

Police say no charges have been filed because the shooting was accidental.

--Reuters

Print Email

Don't know what you guys call it in Wy, buy in the big urban areas I think there is a difference between STORAGE and STASH.

Are you sure those were fish sticks and not those Special Brownies?

I'm not sure if these are true or urban legends as I've heard several different versions. One version has a couple going on vacation hide the gun in the oven to prevent theft and forgetting to remove it after returning. Also this story has "several rounds to be fired" from a .357 handgun. A revolver wouldn't fire several rounds and a Sig or Glock .357 would be reported as an evil semi-automatic.

A revolver wouldn't fire several rounds and a Sig or Glock .357 would be reported as an evil semi-automatic.

Although I agree, this is probably an urban legend, I don't see why a revolver couldn't fire several rounds when heated to a suitable temperature. Not all of the cylinders would be covered by the frame, right?

-Chet

They could discharge without necessarily "firing" couldn't they?

ie, "exploding" but the bullet wouldn't act like it had been fired due to the lack of rigid rearward containment?

Can you tell I'm not very scientifical? :)

SA

I'm not sure I would use the phrase "rigid rearward containment" in mixed company. :lol:

-ld

"I'm not sure I would use the phrase "rigid rearward containment" in mixed company."
I'd use it in mixed company just to see what happens. :P You know, in front of guys like Jeffro... or some of my other local joke-about-anything shooting friends.

PS--Doesn't it have to be a helluva lot hotter that 400 degrees to set them off.....?

Y'know, I honestly don't believe this is true. I remember a story told me years ago by a woman whose father was an alcoholic, and one night out at a campfire with his two daughters, blasted out of his mind, the guy pulls out his revolver, empties the cylinder into his hand and then tosses the cartridges into the fire. The woman (then girl) and her sister run and fling themselves behind a log. And even though they're both scared, there's also this part of them that's going, "Oboy, this is going to be really cool." And the cartridges didn't go off like they were being fired in a gun. The bullets just slowly forced themselves out of the casings with these little pathetic poots and that was it. As the woman told me, "That was kind of a metaphor for my father's life."

At my home range in cold weather we'd occasionally get a fire going in a 55 gal barrel, usually shot up target sticks and trash. Live rounds in the trash or in the gravel under the barrel would occasionally cook off. A bit of a hollow "boom' out of the barrel, but nothing more than firecracker like in volume (and definitely not M80 like), and no flying embers, sticks or shrapnel. Most of the folks warming their hands wouldn't even flinch...

Yea, wait until the drum has some stuff in it. If the debris in the barrel compresses the cartridge enough to let it build up some pressure before it lets go, there can be some serious problems. After we had the second or third barrel with a hole blown out the side from tossed rounds, we stopped burning. We now use a dumpster instead.

• 7 years later...

Academy classmate went on vacation and locked her Glock in her oven with her handcuffs to one of the trays and ....forgot about it.

Came home and turned on the oven to cook dinner for herself and then there was this strange smell coming out of the oven.....melting Glocks will do that.

The dept took some vacation days away and she got a new Glock.

JK

This thread got me to wondering.....

HS-6 smokeles powder, per Hodgdon/Primex, has an autoignition temp of 374 F and above, well within the range of household ovens.

Autoignition temp is exactly what it implies.....the temp at which a substance will burst into flame or ignite without external ignition source.

Lead styphnate, the primary compound in primers, has a listed autoignition temperature of 626 F. So clearly its the powder that went first.

Now it would reason that the first round to go would be the one that heated the quickest.....not necessarily the one round in the chamber or rev cylinder thats aligned with barrel.

In a semi pistol, would the steel barrel/chamber that surrounds the chambered round act more as a net insulator in a hot oven, as compared to the rounds in the magazine?

Which would go first is the question.....the chambered round or one in the mag? A round ignition in the mag only in a closed oven is less dangerous.

BB

Throwing live rounds into a fire normally results in either the bullet popping out of the case a very short distance (usually measured in inches) or the case will rupture. Heating a loaded weapon to the point the powder in the cartridge ignites will result in the weapon discharging in a near normal manner, although I suspect with a reduced bullet velocity. I have to admit I have never tried it over a Chronogrphy so no hard data about the velocity loss. Accuracy is marginal unless the weapon is properly secured. Time from heat application to discharge is unpredictable at best.

Don't ask ... :)

I was fighting a fire on an Army Training Range in Panama when the fire set off some blanks. The crimp on the 5.56 blanks must have allowed them to build enough pressure to explode. The brass fragments went through my BDUs and broke the skin on my leg were the fragment remains after 25 years.

Don't try to replicate ammo in a fire with blanks.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Mythbusters demonstrated that this can (and apparently, does) happen!

Recently, I watched an episode of 1000 Ways to DIE! (on Spike TV) where this genius had hidden his gun in the oven.

His girlfriend decided to bake something and "fired up the oven" to preheat it. (pun intended)

The gun discharged just as she opened the door to put the food inside. Head shot. OOPS!

Maybe this would qualify for a Dawrin Award...

CRAZY WORLD... Ain't It?

• 5 weeks later...

A slightly unscientific experiment conducted with a burn barrel in Iraq determined that a half empty can of spraypaint will cause more destruction than 9mm, 7.62, 50cal or 5.56 when tossed in a fire. A terrifying amount of destruction to a very weak barrel filled with burning embers...

They could discharge without necessarily "firing" couldn't they?

ie, "exploding" but the bullet wouldn't act like it had been fired due to the lack of rigid rearward containment?

Can you tell I'm not very scientifical? :)

SA

I'm not sure I would use the phrase "rigid rearward containment" in mixed company. :lol:

-ld

yes but he is from Ohio and I heard that was near broke back mountain