Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Glock Magwell

Flexmoney

Flex,

It's interesting that you say that, I was at the Prado range today and I met up with Ralph Arredondo who was competing in another squad and I asked him about making a 170mm extension for Glock magazines and he told me that if there were to be interest he would do it. So it like it's like the old chicken and egg story...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SMSI,

I'm having the same problem with my "THE" magwell.  Had the same problem with another magwell, too.  (don't remember the brand)  The frontstrap just won't hold the magwell up tight against the gripframe.  This causes all sorts of problems.  Even causes malfuntions because the mag isn't being held at the right angle for proper feeding.  I had to cut down the tops of my Aredondo basepads, and that helps, but the magwell still won't stay up on the grip frame under recoil, or pressure from my hands.

I wish there was a way to secure the front of the magwell to the frontstrap.  Acraglas?  JB Weld?  A very shallow screw?  The bottom of my almost new G-34's grip frame is all marked and shredded. :angry: WTF!!!???  I've had it.  They are all a POS, and unnecessary to boot.  Mine is permanantly removed, period.  Same with all the other aftermarket CRAP that keeps my gun from working.  If I spent half as much time and money reloading, practicing, and shooting as I did fiddle-effing with my gun and spending money on gadgets, I'd probably be able to shoot by now!

Sorry, rant over.  Anybody want to buy some aftermarket Glock CRAP!!??  :(

Larry

I had the same problem after I took a dremel to the inside of the magwell so it would fit over the grip tape...I went to Home Depot and got some of this stuff used to coat tool handles, it's like liquid rubber. Used a small artists brush to apply it to the inside of the magwell towards the front. Let it dry (hair dryer works) and then had to put on a 2nd coat. Now the magwell needs to be pushed up over the front (squeeze the bottom of the grip when you install it) and it locks in securely...

good luck

michaels

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm not quite sure what to do with the first gen. Novak magwell I got. I bought it sometime just before Katrina and promptly forgot about it till this spring. Well, my Taylor Freelances don't work with it nor will the Dawson Precisions. I tried contacting Novak but to no avail and just sent him a second email. I had to dremel the magwell to make the TF work for recent matches but as I recall he guaranteed the well to fit all mags. Anyone got ideas? No answer on his phone...

Edited by racine

The first run of those was a bit off.

They wouldn't let the mags go in quite far enough to engage the mag catch.

The suggestion was to remove a bit of material (equally) from the bottom of the gun. Which can be accomplished by putting a piece of sandpaper flat on a table or glass top, then running the bottom edge of the gun over it....being careful to keep it even.

...and he is busier than a one-armed paper hanger. Demand is high. Bobby Carver carries them for Tom, so if you need to get some, try his site.

Add to that the new magwells for the XD he has set, and he finds himself with no time to shoot. Keep calling and e-mailing. When I was down his place to shoot and talk....he had zero time for me as he was either on the phone or working on some guns. But I did get some good range time in!

• 1 month later...

Flexmoney, I'm getting a strong feeling this is an exercise in frustration and futitlity. No responses in the last 3 months from this guy (despite emails, phone messages, and faxes) and his verbal guarantee is meaningless with out any response from him. His phone message machine has been full and no-one is answering any of my calls. When does one start the "BUYER BEWARE" messages to all shooters??? I mean $80 is $80!

Racine

Edited by racine

Racine,

I feel your pain. While Tom is a nice guy and I have spent thousands of my hard earned dollars on his products/creations he has been rather slow in delivering the goods of late. It’s my opinion that if he wants to be successful and continue to grow his business he is going to need to hire additional staff to meet the demand for his services/products.

Edited by ryucasta

I was at the Prado range today and I met up with Ralph Arredondo who was competing in another squad and I asked him about making a 170mm extension for Glock magazines and he told me that if there were to be interest he would do it.

That would be something Arredondo 170mm Glock extension. I just love his other Glock extensions so much that im not gonna even try anything else, if his going to make 170mm extensions im definitely gonna buy and use them.

WOW this thread came back from the dead. This mag well looks a lot like my XD magwell. It is a very nice magwell that took a bit of work to get to operating 100%. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one I like it that much. I had a to shoot a match without it and felt completely lost!

Here is a pic of mine on my XD

closeupmagwell.jpg

sideviewXD40.jpg

Dawson has a new Ice magwell for small frame glocks. However, I had to grind down the plastic insert to get it to work with any mag extensions.

I have also had problems with several heavy Glock magwells in getting them to hang on ot the rather flimsy stock well.

• 1 month later...

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/y...886_1934_254739

Is it just me, or does this magwell seem to narrow back up right where it meets with the gun? That little "lip" on the inside seems begging to snag a magazine from making a clean entry. As with nearly every magwell I've seen shopping for my glock (JP, dawson, THE) they all have a sharp angle where it meets the gun, instead of a smooth arc of entry.

I'm not an engineering type, so I don't know how better to say it, so I drew it. This is a side view cutaway of what I'm trying to say.

magwell.bmp

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/y...886_1934_254739

Is it just me, or does this magwell seem to narrow back up right where it meets with the gun? That little "lip" on the inside seems begging to snag a magazine from making a clean entry. As with nearly every magwell I've seen shopping for my glock (JP, dawson, THE) they all have a sharp angle where it meets the gun, instead of a smooth arc of entry.

I'm not an engineering type, so I don't know how better to say it, so I drew it. This is a side view cutaway of what I'm trying to say.

Rob,

I solved that problem years ago, by installing a THE Accessories magwell on a frame, and then dremeling the magwell and frame chute to the dimensions I wanted. Of course that means no more production with that particular gun, but it's a joy to shoot.....

• 1 month later...
Racine,

I feel your pain. While Tom is a nice guy and I have spent thousands of my hard earned dollars on his products/creations he has been rather slow in delivering the goods of late. It’s my opinion that if he wants to be successful and continue to grow his business he is going to need to hire additional staff to meet the demand for his services/products.

Well it's October 2007 and he said he was sending out a magwell asap sometime in July. I did get to speak to him today and he is having problems with his source of magwells with no clear end in sight. This may or may not be resolved as his take is [font="Arial Black"]that the problem is out of his control but that he has no answers.[/font]

He has a local machinist who makes them for him, and that is where the bottleneck is. Bobby Carver also uses him for some of Tom's products and has also run into some issues.

As with anything, finding the right supplier is crucial, and he has gone through several, dropping them when they could not maintain commitments to deliver. When developing prototypes, you want to be able to drive over and check them out, not spend days or weeks sending items back and forth.

It is a one-man, part-time shop, and Tom tends to be a perfectionist, as he hand finishes each of the products he puts out. Adds time to a project, especially if the supplier lags a bit behind.

Frankly, if any of you know of good, dependable machinists, feel free to get the info to Tom and help lower turnaround. Hopefully one who knows, understands and appreciates firearms. Most machinists' don't. That magwell or comp is a chunk of product for them, and they get it out when the stock is right and the numbers are best. If only 15 get made out of an order for 25, and 25 are spoken for, unfortunately someone doesn't get it that run, and the waiting goes on.

I am not an apologist for Tom, just a friend who sees what he goes though on both ends. Now all that being said, in the interest of fairness, I do not use any of Tom's products as I shoot Production. He did do a trigger for me when I first started, and recommends some spring setups. I've know Tom for years, fact is he brought me into the game in 2000. I do shoot with him - did until this season when, due to the amount of work he has from good folks like you here, he has been unable to shoot a single match. Sunday's go to the shop and not the range anymore.

I visited him this week, stopped by the shop where he continues to harangue his supplier to get the items out. He follows this, and other forums, and knows and recognizes the importance of delivering what he says he will, and gets stressed when things he cannot control get the better of him and causes him to lose customers. He knows it and is trying to fix it.

To the mods, I apologize for the length, and if deleted, I will understand.

Edited by vluc

Maybe he needs to head back over to Lumpa land and get some more Umpa Lumpas to do work for him then. It seems like alot of people on other forums or getting ticked off also. Why take orders if he can't produce.

He has a local machinist who makes them for him, and that is where the bottleneck is. Bobby Carver also uses him for some of Tom's products and has also run into some issues.

As with anything, finding the right supplier is crucial, and he has gone through several, dropping them when they could not maintain commitments to deliver. When developing prototypes, you want to be able to drive over and check them out, not spend days or weeks sending items back and forth.

It is a one-man, part-time shop, and Tom tends to be a perfectionist, as he hand finishes each of the products he puts out. Adds time to a project, especially if the supplier lags a bit behind.

Frankly, if any of you know of good, dependable machinists, feel free to get the info to Tom and help lower turnaround. Hopefully one who knows, understands and appreciates firearms. Most machinists' don't. That magwell or comp is a chunk of product for them, and they get it out when the stock is right and the numbers are best. If only 15 get made out of an order for 25, and 25 are spoken for, unfortunately someone doesn't get it that run, and the waiting goes on.

I am not an apologist for Tom, just a friend who sees what he goes though on both ends. Now all that being said, in the interest of fairness, I do not use any of Tom's products as I shoot Production. He did do a trigger for me when I first started, and recommends some spring setups. I've know Tom for years, fact is he brought me into the game in 2000. I do shoot with him - did until this season when, due to the amount of work he has from good folks like you here, he has been unable to shoot a single match. Sunday's go to the shop and not the range anymore.

I visited him this week, stopped by the shop where he continues to harangue his supplier to get the items out. He follows this, and other forums, and knows and recognizes the importance of delivering what he says he will, and gets stressed when things he cannot control get the better of him and causes him to lose customers. He knows it and is trying to fix it.

To the mods, I apologize for the length, and if deleted, I will understand.

Maybe he needs to head back over to Lumpa land and get some more Umpa Lumpas to do work for him then. It seems like alot of people on other forums or getting ticked off also. Why take orders if he can't produce.

LOL! Not a bad notion. PistolGear carries the lines (glock and XD), Carver carries them, and a few others. Most orders are through them and then to either Tom or direct to the machinist shop. He's shut down his yahoo store to direct business to the others.

I'll direct this part of the thread to him.

LOL! Not a bad notion. PistolGear carries the lines (glock and XD), Carver carries them, and a few others. Most orders are through them and then to either Tom or direct to the machinist shop. He's shut down his yahoo store to direct business to the others.

I'll direct this part of the thread to him.

Yea I was just joking. I had to go with a Dawson Ice magwell because I could not get a hold of him to get one of his magwells. I do not live that far from him and it would of been nice just to go down and get one instead of ordering online. Thats what stinks I want to get some work done to my G34 but who knows when it would get done.

I have been pretty fair with him and trusting him enough to buy his products. He guaranteed me that magwell to work from day 1 with the mag extensions I had. The only thing that got in the way of following through for me was Katrina. So now as much as I trusted him I'm stuck with an $80 dremeled aluminum that I can't get to go 90%. I want to send it back to him but even he doesn't want it back. I'll give him till December then I'll ask him for my money back and see how good his warranty is...

• 1 month later...