Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Camcorder for matches

After doing a couple of searches it seems like there hasn't been a discussion on handheld camcorders for a generation or so.

What I am looking for is a camera for filming matches and practice. It may see light duty elsewhere but this will be its main focus.

Looking for (in no particular order)

1) Camera quality...tired of buying every year or so.

2) Ease of use...gotta be able to hand it to a squadmate without a class on how to use it

3) The ability to take stills would be nice

4) Easy format to work with in iPhoto/iMovie

5) Reasonable price

thanks in advance

Edited by smokshwn

Dude...If would have had a brain in my head I would have handed to you my Flip HD while we were at Mesa!

I had it with me but never broke it out, too busy play photog for Bryce.

Pimple simple and it actually takes nice video.

I'll shoot some video and email a copy to you as a sample

Patrick

I like going with the new point and shoot Canon HD Camera's

The Power Shot ELPH 300 is the newer version of the one I have been using

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/300HS/300HSA.HTM

720p HD at 30 frames per second

I pull the memory card upload into Windows Movie maker

Here are some videos from this past week

http://www.youtube.com/user/jakemartens#p/u/12/uKWS0Q6ghio

http://www.youtube.com/user/jakemartens#p/u/17/bdLnvq19QOU

Canon HD. Whatever u get, pay the price and get HD.

Butch,

All the reviews for the Canon's mention that the file format is a PITA in general and more so when working with the files on a MAC.... I know you run a Mac so what's your take on that aspect?

I just got a FlipHD myself and love it. Video files a pretty big and im still figureing out the best way to compile them to a movie, but its a great quality little video camera and is darn near idiot proof if you have a squadmate run it for you.

Craig-no problem with the file format-bring it right in to imovie...render at H264 and be done with it.

Canon HD. Whatever u get, pay the price and get HD.

Butch,

All the reviews for the Canon's mention that the file format is a PITA in general and more so when working with the files on a MAC.... I know you run a Mac so what's your take on that aspect?

Yeah, I don't recommend zooming with the flip, as long as you don't do that you get great quality. I use Pinnacle Studio for compiling the video after the match. I combine the Hat cam video with the flip cam video for a PIP final video.

I came here looking for advice on a camera and saw this thread. One question, is 30 frame per second enough to see good detail for training like the fine points of doing a reload or foot placement during movement? I see where some have 60 fps at 720p but only 30 fps at 1080p.

I would like one of the little pocket cameras.

I subscribe to Consumer Reports and their latest ratings on mini cams has the following as the top 3 listed:

JVC Picsio GC-FM2 with a total score of 54, number one rated

Kodak PlaySport Zx3 with a total score of 54 number two

Sony bloggie MHS-CM5 with a total score of 53 number three.

Now they don't test every camera made so take the above information for what it is worth.

I did notice that Sam's club does carry the Kodak Play sport and I also fish as a serious hobby so the waterproof rating on that camera is nice and it is only one point behind the number one rated camera, under $120.

I have been using the Kodak Playsport. It is easy to use, is waterproof and takes great videos outside.

The last few videos here were taken with it. (I'm working on the shooting....:blush:)

They can be had for about $100.

Me too. Stupid simple to use and it's just point and shoot. It's amazing the video quality you can get for something so cheap.

I have been using the Kodak Playsport. It is easy to use, is waterproof and takes great videos outside.

The last few videos here were taken with it. (I'm working on the shooting....:blush:)

Me too. Stupid simple to use and it's just point and shoot. It's amazing the video quality you can get for something so cheap.

Same here. Bought one for the kid's T-Ball games. Tested it out at a couple of matches. Looks like I need another for my range bag...

The professional video guys rave about this one.

I use a Sony DSC-H20 digital camera with 720P recording ability. What sold me is the 10x zoom feature which works great when recording. Turn on, push button to start recording and push again to stop. VERY easy.

is a sample recording taken with it last year. Youtube processing takes a lot of the quality out of it but I'm still happy with the quality of full screen 720P.

I'm very intrigued by the Flip recorders as well. I've been impressed with the video quality of such an inexpensive camera, and I'm thinking about picking one up for a dedicated range camera. B)

Edited by KyroWebs

Just about ready to pull the trigger on a Kodak Playsport ZX3 when I see Kodak, JUST released the new ZX5. The big improvements as I see them are that it has longer battery life (2 plus hours), a macro mode, shockproof (5 foot drop), dustproof and has a better screen than the previous model.

Edited by Clay1

It would be great if the Kodak software played with Mac's..... :(

Is it the ArcSoft Media Impressions software that you are concerned about using on your Mac? You can just drag and drop the movies from the PlaySport to your Mac and it is my understanding that the Mac has a pretty good movie maker built in (iMovie?). Is that not the case?

My new PlaySport ZX5 outputs in MPEG-4 format and the default player is Quicktime.

Edited by BigTinVA

I haven't used a flip but they sound fairly simple.

One thing to keep in mind...do you REALLY need MEGA HD 60 frames per second video? Do you have a computer ready to start crunching 4GB files? These are 720p so maybe they are relatively small - I haven't used one...mentioned that already. But I have, do currently shoot 1920 1080p 30fps and blah, blah...files get HUGE.

I'm just saying - If you are just using to post to "youface" dot com you don't have to get the Mega version of any brand...ymmv.

Also, some of the Canon format complaints are from the DSLR video needing transcoding prior to easy use in an editor. Canon says it is like shooting RAW...it needs to be "developed" first. But is sure looks pretty with a 1.4f lens.

And, yes this is where apple and pc video files don't play very well. For file conversions back and forth you can download MPEG streamclip and it is free. Works for both mac and pc. http://www.squared5.com/

K.I.S.S. :cheers: