Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Thumb Safety

oddjob

I have a Shadow with about 12k rounds through it. Its my Production gun. Anyways today at a match I fired my first shot and the thumb safety bumped up locking up my slide with a spent casing half way out the chamber. I clicked it down, racked the slide and continued on. I felt the thumb safety and its become real easy to click up and down (on and off). REAL EASY. It doesn't matter if the hammer is cocked or down. What parts do I need to replace to make the safety stiff again??

thanks.......Ron (52 second run on a 20 second stage)

it sounds like the safety detent. That is what I would look at first. The spring or the small piece of metal that it pushes on has possibly come loose or broken. At least that is what I would check first.

If you look at the exploded parts view, you should be able to see it.

Its not too bad, though it make look intimidating with all the little parts inside the sear cage / ejector.

Field strip the gun and take a look at the sear cage. You should see the arm of a thin coil spring on top the safety. Take a pick and lift that spring up over the safety. Now you should be able to punch it out from the other side. Once the the safety is gone you can lift the whole sear cage out of the gun. This will allow you to reach the safety spring and plunger. They can also be removed/replaced easily with a dentist's pick type tool.

I'd be surprised if they need to be replaced, it may just be some gunk built up in that area that prevents the spring from extending.

• 3 weeks later...

I too, would appreciate a link to the flush safety. I am experiencing the same "shooter induced" malfunction of bumping the ambi-safety with my thumb or my index finger of my right hand. Since I always manually decock the hammer after "make ready", I don't really need a wide ambi-safety. I rarely use it. Thanks.

I've never seen a flush/flat safety on a CZ before, out of curiosity I'd like to see one though if anyone has a pic?

I far and away favor the smaller/higher safeties found on standard 75's and 85's over the extended/lower one's found on the 75SA's and Shadow's, and feel your pain if a dumb little lever is getting in your way and changing it out could make a big improvment.

FWIW, when I was looking into finding the right one's in order to switch out the one's on my 75 Shadow, I noticed that from what I can tell by just looking at pics, looks like the one's from the Rami's are used on the Adam Tyc "333" models. Not sure if they're directly from or exactly the same part as on the little Rami's, but externally they sure look like it, and while not totally flat, they're as low-profile as I've seen on a CZ.

Rami safeties are legal since they come on a Rami which is legal for Production.

I have a Rami and the safeties on it are basically flat, barely raised off the frame.

But doesn't that run the same gamut as the Glock debate? You can't run a G34 slide on a G17 frame, cause that's not how they were made...Yes, both are production legal, but interchange parts, and they aren't...

Appendix D4 - 21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components:

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OEM or aftermarket parts.

Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OEM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers. Special Notes/Clarifications:

Edited by sperman

• 2 months later...

They are Production legal as they are also considered the old style from the 75 I think. They are also listed as optional factory parts from CZ UB. I run them on all 3 of my Shadows and love them. The CZ's safeties pivot from the rear which makes them go on extremely easily. I've never liked that one thing about them. With the flush ones I just shoot without touching them at all. With a 1911 I have no problem, and yes I keep my thumb on the safety, but the meat of my support hand would still push the CZ or Tanfoglio ones up.

did you put the spring behind the non moving detent on the right side? I had to do that with one of my guns previously as the frame had a small machining flaw that allowed that detent to move back, which let the right side safety fall off.

Edited by slavex

I "roughed up" up the parts of the thumb safety that rides with the detent with a file. I then e-mailed Matt Mink and he told me to "stretch" the detent spring a bit (very carefully). All is good now. To be honest I think the stretching of the spring could have done it all.

I did put in a new spring and it did not help at all.

Rami safeties are legal since they come on a Rami which is legal for Production.

I have a Rami and the safeties on it are basically flat, barely raised off the frame.

But doesn't that run the same gamut as the Glock debate? You can't run a G34 slide on a G17 frame, cause that's not how they were made...Yes, both are production legal, but interchange parts, and they aren't...

I know this is an old post but, just clarify, the reason you can't run a 34 slide on a 17 frame is because it changes the length of the gun/barrel (because there was never a 5.3" G17), nor was there a 9mm G22 (which is why you can't put a 9mm top end on a G22). That's different from changing inter-model external controls. A more appropriate comparison would be putting a G34 slide stop or magazine catch on a G17 (which is perfectly legal).