Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot 2 - ep.1

Corey

I don't get the idea of giving the winner of the shoot-off a gift card. The fact that they were in the shoot-off says that the team considered them expendable.

I think back to Kelly from the previous season.... he got sent to the elimination challenge 3 times and won all 3... In one case he hit the major shots but he was sent to the elimination because people thought it would be an easy way to eliminate him from the competition.

Perhaps they are trying to get people to change their strategy regarding who they send to the challenge? Perhaps people will start asking to shoot the elimination challenge to win some gift cards?

If nothing else it adds an interesting element to the decision making process.

And the golf pro needs to stop telling everyone what to do….

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if Chris Tilley's strategy was to come off as not caring so that people wouldn't be gunning for him so much so he can fly under the radar and last longer on the show.

I think they all need more dry fire practice :roflol:

I was surprised Chris T said he didn't take the team challenge serious enough... wow.

I think what Chris said was taken out of context, as well as probably poorly worded on his part. He atually said he "wasn't into it", which I took to mean, that he did not get into a good rythem or focus that is essential to making the shot. This may have been influenced by his bieng an open shooter (optic sight vs iron) and this 1911 was obviously an out of the box iron sighted stock triggered gun. Not his typical pistola. It seemed to me he was a tad nervous and also dissapointed with himself for the rocky start. He got it together though and went 5 out of 6 with the revolver. Glad to see him and Maggie still in it.

+1 Chris is a quiet, very intense guy. He takes it seriously and will do what he needs to do to pick it up. He is extremely diversified with firearms, a strong iron sight/wheel gun shooter and he has been shooting 3 gun for a few years, a top 5 national 3 gun shooter if you look at his record or have shot with him. Once he gets into the dynamics of the show he will definitely be one to watch. Anyone can be off their game on any give day. Chris is one of the good guys.

I was surprised Chris T said he didn't take the team challenge serious enough... wow.

I think that might have been a realistic (post-shooting) self-evaluation.....

I'm sure that's happened to most of us on occasion -- you see a stage, think you can zip through it, and then crash and burn on the attempt....

I know I've shot stages, where my reaction afterwards was "Crap, certainly didn't take that seriously enough/oops, that was harder than expected, and deserved more respect than I gave it during the walkthrough..."

I think that might have been a realistic (post-shooting) self-evaluation.....

I'm sure that's happened to most of us on occasion -- you see a stage, think you can zip through it, and then crash and burn on the attempt....

I know I've shot stages, where my reaction afterwards was "Crap, certainly didn't take that seriously enough/oops, that was harder than expected, and deserved more respect than I gave it during the walkthrough..."

:cheers:

I can't wait to see the drama unfold from the Golf instructor guy coaching the team espeically when you have instructors and world champs on it haha..

I can see how he can eventually get into his team's nerves... too much negative comments instead of boosting confidence for better performance. But then, it's just the first episode.

1. I saw an open gun in a few of the cut scenes. Can't wait to see Chris, Maggie, and Athena run that whenever it happens.

I think it was this one...

post-3273-077260500 1297281976_thumb.jpg

I'd like to see how one of our top 3-Gunners would do - someone like Jerry, Taran, Daniel, Kurt, or Kelly. Certainly no disrespect to Maggie or any other lady shooters, but even the very best female 3-Gunners usually shoot 80% or so of the top male shooters.

And, for now.. that's being generous.. last nationals 63.73%, last years SMM3G #160 (around 50%?)

I thought she'd go higher, just because she has competition experience with multiple guns. But these challenges are more like bullseye. The last season finale, is the closest to 3 Gun we've seen

They've definitely started better. Is it just me, seems like the quality in the field may have gone up a notch. I haven't done the comparison but seems like there are more shooters who have faced a clock? i.e. Ashley (USPSA D level), Athena, Chris, Guida, Kyle (who knows how much?), Maggie. Don't know about last years, other than the obvious. And they've definitely attracted bow shooters too.

As for the sharps rifle .. don't sweat it, who cares? All it meant was naming captains. For me that would have meant the first pick, after that it would have been group collaboration.

First meltdown?

I really couldnt belive that the Well known's like Maggie, Athena, and Chris Struggled so much with the 1911 challenge. Could a crappy stock trigger really handicap them that much?

I wondered that, too. I'm no pro, but... if I missed one, shame on me. if I missed a second time, you can bet your butt I'd be marking where that round landed, compared to where I "called" it, and working out an adjustment in my head. I cannot imagine missing 7 times without being able to make some sort of adjustment... :unsure:

+10000 Blowing a stage is one thing, but shooting, running back and waiting to reshoot and NOT making the adjustment.. x6. No way it's the gun, everyone else ran it better! Most everyone else seemed to either hit right away, or make adjustments. The need to shoot at odd angles, IMO, should have set the USPSA shooters at a distinct advantage too.

AS for Chris's comment, I think it caught him off guard. And I think he diagnosed after the event and knew EXACTLY what the real issue was. Seems to me that he was searching for something that wouldn't sound terrible on TV (overly complicated, or whiney, or whimpy ... etc)

I think it was unusual pressure. TV camera ... America watching .. rep on the line with friends ... whatever?

Forboding?

The way these are edited, seems like Athena will hand out a whooping before it's over! Can't wait. But given that there are physical aspects the womenz may still be seen as subpar. Hoping that will change.

Maybe next year they'll switch out Cody for Bear Grylls?

Edited by kdmoore

From what I am seeing, being a PRO in any discipline is not a major advantage on this show. As much as we would all like to see one of our own win this, I think it is unlikely. Paintball guns, Tommy Guns, Tomahawks and who knows what else. The scenerios are made up to make sure that no one has an edge over any one else when it comes down to skill level. Look at last season, that Cowboy got pretty far for not really having much of a skill set and Kelly kicked ass being really just a rifle shooter. The older guy with the limp (running) is going to have a rough time. Running next week and I saw them climbing a hill again in one commercial.

Edited by toddrod

With all the little bio videos currently posted on the History channel, there's enough scenes there to show shooters shooting particular guns and interacting with each other, wouldn't it be possible to come up with a pretty good idea of who gets eliminated when in the season because we stop seeing them in particular scenes? Of course it would be tedious work doing that analysis. It'll be more fun to just watch the season unfold.

We got two guy's limping out of the gate. Not great for their team in the long run. They better shoot lights out to make up for being slower.

One guy made a comment that he pulled something. As for the second guy with a limp, I was wondering if he has a permanent limp or just pulled something due to not warming up on a cold wet day?

Hopefully all will be in good shape for the next show.

Bill

I wonder if Chris Tilley's strategy was to come off as not caring so that people wouldn't be gunning for him so much so he can fly under the radar and last longer on the show.

Chris might have made a half dozen comments about how he handled the challenge, but you can bet the editors will publish the comment that made for the most controversy.

Let them say what they want. I here for the shooting.

Bill

Enjoyed the first episode, but I have a question that does not relate to the shooting. Watching last season, it always appeared that the folks in the house were eating pre-packaged food, and/or off paper plates until the next to last episode, when they laid out the big banquet for the final four. In this first episode, it shows everyone sitting down to eat and they are all apparently using paper plates and plasticware. Were their meals catered in, or were they eating pre-packaged stuff for a whole month, or was there a cook preparing everything for them? Personally, the idea of catered and/or pre-packaged chow for a month makes me not want to be there. Perhaps one of last years contestants can enlighten?

Enjoyed the first episode, but I have a question that does not relate to the shooting. Watching last season, it always appeared that the folks in the house were eating pre-packaged food, and/or off paper plates until the next to last episode, when they laid out the big banquet for the final four. In this first episode, it shows everyone sitting down to eat and they are all apparently using paper plates and plasticware. Were their meals catered in, or were they eating pre-packaged stuff for a whole month, or was there a cook preparing everything for them? Personally, the idea of catered and/or pre-packaged chow for a month makes me not want to be there. Perhaps one of last years contestants can enlighten?

From what I recall from the posts from last season's competitors, they were doing their own cooking. IIRC, Chris Cerino is a great cook and stepped up to prepare a lot of the meals. This played a bit into the elimination challenges (maybe just on the subconscious level) as if you lost your cook, you'd have to make your own dinner. Can't remember where I read this, it might have been on last season's thread here or one of the interview, shows, podcasts, etc. from the 1st season folks.

That guy was casted to take a big fall if you ask me. High emotion, old shooting dreams that never worked out and a first round challenge with Chris, I bet the producers could not have been happier with how the first episode worked out. Seems a lot better than last year so far. Nice that their not using a Beretta 92 for lots of events like last season.

It looks good so far and I casually enjoyed last season, although as someone mentioned, I'm not sure if I'm thrilled about paintball guns being involved. As someone who just concluded a 'career' playing Division 2 and being a sponsored player, I DON'T think people shooting each other with paintball guns is something that should be in a show of this nature. The point of the show's challenges thus far have been about completing certain shots with certain types of things that launch a projectile. In addition, shooting paintball guns with any degree of accuracy is dependent upon the gear used, and a subquality marker with sub quality paint simply won't shoot accurately no matter how great of a shot the user is. We already had paintball on ESPN 2 and it didn't really take off, think it should be left at that.

Either way I watch the show for the "stages" if you will, I generally don't pay attention to the competitors interacting.