Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend a Barrel please

Alaskapopo

JPs are great and you won't find any more accurate barrel. I personally like Sabre barrels the best. In addition to weight savings, the fluting lets these barrels cool down quick. They make an 18" fluted midlength in either stainless or CMV chrome lined.

There are actually quite a few "Good ones". In no particular order:

Krieger, 18", ss, fluted, RG, 47oz,= $515.00

Sabre, 18", ss, fluted, MG, 37oz, $475.00

Sabre, 16", ss, fluted, MG, 32oz, $475.00

JP, 18", ss, non-fluted, RG, 36oz, $399.00

Black Hole, ss, fluted, RG, 32oz, $250.00

White Oak, 18", SPR, RG, 40oz, $269.00

DPMS, 18",ss, SPR, RG, 40oz, $179.00

DPMS, 16" CM, RG, 47oz (35oz after turning down) $159.00 + $60.00 turning = $219.00

All the above bbls shoot under 1moa and worked perfectly. The Krieger and Sabre bbls were the most accurate. The DPMS are a great value. Many of them support 3-gun. My next bbl will be another Krieger that I plan to turn down and shorten to a 16" RG 35oz bbl.

Noveske and Firebird also make bbls that no doubt would be "Good" for 3-gun, but I have yet to try them.

There are a lot of accurate barrels out there. One thing that I can say about JP barrels is above and beyond their accuracy, they LAST a long time.

Daniel Horner had about 20K through a JP and it still shot great (I believe it was close to or under 1/2 MOA) when they put it in a machine rest and shot it at 300 meters.

I have a JP barrel from 2003 that has untold MANY thousands of rounds through it and it still shoots great.

I have also wore out 2 Douglas barrels at about 5000 rounds.

Why?? Is it the cryo? The Wlyde chamber? Does John sacrifice a cat for each barrel? I don't know ... but I do know they last.

I can not speak to durability but:

I had a JP gun/barrel for a number of months which shot 1/4 - 1/3 MOA. In another gun, I had a Sabre Defense with JP fire controls, bolt, etc., it shot 1/3 - 1/2 MOA.

Using the exact same ammo and environmental conditions. With a more powerful scope I probably could have gotten a consistent 1/4 MOA out of both barrels.

I just saw the cable show on barrels made in Spain. They looked pretty good.

BTW: I think Wilson supplies JP barrels, then JP may cryo them. Firebird does not make barrels, I believe Jim uses LW as did LaRue (I believe).

I think Kelly uses ancient indian rituals to get his barrels to shot well and for a long time. I can see him in a sweat lodge to treat his HP barrels.

As far as barrels are concerned, pretty much the top of line barrels are all pretty good for 3Gun. The Bench Rest/Sniper/long range guys might have a different set of recommendations.

Edited by pjb45

There are a lot of accurate barrels out there. One thing that I can say about JP barrels is above and beyond their accuracy, they LAST a long time.

Daniel Horner had about 20K through a JP and it still shot great (I believe it was close to or under 1/2 MOA) when they put it in a machine rest and shot it at 300 meters.

I have a JP barrel from 2003 that has untold MANY thousands of rounds through it and it still shoots great.

I have also wore out 2 Douglas barrels at about 5000 rounds.

Why?? Is it the cryo? The Wlyde chamber? Does John sacrifice a cat for each barrel? I don't know ... but I do know they last.

Bingo. i have it on good authority les baer uses goats for his nat. match bullseye guns...

Any restrictions or must have options?

Chamber?

Price?

Longevity?

Polygonal or standard rifling?

Gas length?

Barrel length?

What classification does he want to shoot?

Lothar Walther, off the shelf, through Firebird would probably be the fastest. Your friend may as well have Firebird build it to perfection while it's there. I saw two complete Firebirds at the last match, beautifully built.

More custom without the wait time of direct from LW, go with a Johnson Tactical Rifles Nitrided Barrel for longevity and accuracy.

Sabre and JP are very viable options as well, but they probably won't last as long as LW and JTR.

Just stay away from the bargain basement stuff

Any of the higher end barrels will give you good service

If you plan to shoot XMrejects or nato mil spec ammo, or wolf steel case..use a nato chamber.

If you plan to build build a rifle for the best accuracy use a wylde chamber and premium ammo.

The barrel is just one of many things that will define a great rifle.

Jim

Both my 3gun rifles have Compass Lake Eng. barrrels. They will do any length or contour at a reasonable price for what you get. My latest was a 18inch SPR profile in stainless, wylde chamber and a matched bolt for around 350ish if I recall.

A friend of mine wanted to know what you guys recommend for a good 3 gun barrel. Thanks

Pat

Pat, this is the vaguest question going! Any barrel will work for 3 gun. AR's in my safe currently have a 20" Firebird/Lothar Walther, 2 have White Oak Armament 18" SPR-rifle gas, and the last has an 18" Wilson Arms barrel blank, that was machined, and chambered by myself. All shoot very well. Twists are 7" (WOA), 8" (Firebird/ Lothar Walther), and 9" (Wilson Arms blank).

Pick one, and shoot it! Although, I'd go with the Firebird / Lothar Walther barrel.

A friend of mine wanted to know what you guys recommend for a good 3 gun barrel. Thanks

Pat

Pat, this is the vaguest question going! Any barrel will work for 3 gun. AR's in my safe currently have a 20" Firebird/Lothar Walther, 2 have White Oak Armament 18" SPR-rifle gas, and the last has an 18" Wilson Arms barrel blank, that was machined, and chambered by myself. All shoot very well. Twists are 7" (WOA), 8" (Firebird/ Lothar Walther), and 9" (Wilson Arms blank).

Pick one, and shoot it! Although, I'd go with the Firebird / Lothar Walther barrel.

Your right any barrel will work. My friend wanted to know what people's opinion on here was about what they recommened as good barrels. (18 inch range that are stainless) I just wanted to give him a list to work with and what people said. I have my own ideas but he hears from me all the time. I recommended a 18 inch Noveske Stainless Barrel with the new lighter profile for three gun.

Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by Alaskapopo