Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Matches

BBoyle

So what is everyones favorite matches to shoot or matches that they have shot?

Mine would be the old AWARE matches put on by Pat and Warren in NY. I loved the setup of them, the flow, and the stages. I think we use to shoot 12-14 stages in a half day. I may be wrong with the half day but God I loved those matches. Part of it might be that the AWARE was the first major match I ever shot.

Next match was the Area 7 when it was rained out in 98 I believe. I was a B class shooter in the rain and 5 inches of water on all of the stages shooting with Matt McLearn. Awesome time and stages as well. Too bad it was cancelled. There was also a stage where you pushed a plunger down and then there was a loud and thumpy explosion, I do not know how they did it but it was great.

Brian

For 2010 they were the South Carolina Sectional, Columbus Cup, North Carolina Sectional.

Hope to make it to Area8, Area5 and the famous Area2 this year.

Edited by RoryW

Most fun? The late Summer Blast had the most bang for the buck -- 10 very different, challenging stages, shot in half a day, with a low match entry fee, cool T-shirts, pretty stage construction, funny themes (Remember the frog or the chicken?), and a great staff that came from all over just because Larry asked.....

Also up there: The USPSA Production Nationals (with whatever other divisions were thrown in) from 2003-6; shooting multiple days with friends from home, and in one memorable year on the BE Forums with what seemed like half the moderating team (at the time) and assorted other pals. Thanks to Shred, I've still got a great DVD to remind me of the shooting and the stages.....

Mine would be the old AWARE matches put on by Pat and Warren in NY. I loved the setup of them, the flow, and the stages

No question or doubt, those were the best matches I have ever attended, I've shot 1, 2, 7, and 8 Area matches, and lots of other big matches and none of the touch what Pat did.

The Area 2 matches are my favorite Area match and I still like the US Nationals.

Outside of that the next best were the Level III matches we had in Sault St. Marie in the early '90's. The stage designs and props would blow your mind for something that wasn't one of the "majors" one day I'll have to scan some photo's from back then but imagine a large bay completely turned into the town of Rock Ridge (everyone remember where that comes from?) including fake building facades, curtains, wooden sidewalks, hitching posts etc. Down the center was a railway track on which sat a cart that you had to pedal down the track while engaging targets...and this was in the days of high caps with no round count limitations on stages....I think it was 44 rounds. Another had a huge ranch built on it with barns and hay bales and the last array was engaged by picking up a horse lead, clipping it on the wooden horse mock up and pulling it forward which exposed two targets. 60' lake with a real sailboat floating in it tied up at the dock, carnival with scary clowns, hospital hallway built on a raised platform with everything shot from a wheelchair (feet could not touch the ground)....and those were just the field couyrses!

2010's VA/ MD Section match was the best run, most efficient match I've ever been associated with as a shooter or worker. There are LOTS of stand outs... SC Section... NC Section. Outstanding matches. The Summer Blast in 2008....

Besides the obvious - locally produced Level II's and III's I've attended/worked - I'd have to say the Mississippi Classic is right at the top of the list for me.

TN was a blast, too, and Sean is spot-on regarding the Gator.

I still want to do an Area 2 match after all I've heard about them.

I have shot a bunch of Nationals, Area 4 one year and Area 2 most years since I started shoting. I have shot local matches in Arizona, California, WA and LA.

By far and away, Area 2 matches are hard to beat with regards to range/facilities, stage design, props, and a true test of skills. The prize table is out of this world, the staff (Polle et.al) are fantastic, and the ROs are among the best ever. The match is very well run.

Second, would be Horsman's Western States Single Stack Championship. This a a true SS match that test all skills.

Both these matches have it all, run and gun, accuracy stand and shoot. None of this three steps shoot two targets and move three steps and shot two targets crap. Real shooting arrays, real movement, and real movement on various stages.

I am not wanting to start a flame war but Area 2 is what Nationals should aspire to.

Pueblo, Colorado (Area 2) is my favorite so far. They have a great mix of short and long range, and standing vs. moving stages. They really dedicate the range to the event when its on.

The ROs are really great and the shooters are all there to have a good time and help each other out.

Edited by triggerhound