Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest Holster

Forrest Halley

I think the CR Speed is the fastest.

The trigger guard is cupped by the retention mechanism of the holster. The muzzle rests on a little plastic ball.

If you adjust it properly, i.e. so the revo does not move left to right or up and down when the holster is locked, then I think it's relatively safe. I've had my gun fly out once when I ran the timer for someone and he stopped suddenly, causing me to do the same. Ever since then, I hold timer WH and my SH rests on my revo grip. Inbetween shooting stages, one engages a little safety lever on the holster that is supposed to lock the gun up completely. Works great on 2011's, not quite so 100% on revo's.

My holster is a little bit cant backward, to make the grip of the gun more accessible to me. If you have long arms, the gun may sit a little too high otherwise. The draw is very simple, hand goes straight down and you can pull the gun almost straight up and forward since it only "rests on top of the holster".

Here is a video that shows the positioning and that the revo, for the most part is in the open. Never mind the shooting itself, just want you to see the holster.

If you want something safer, a friend of mine does really well with a kydex holster - might be a CompTac. What I don't like about kydex, is that the front sight's blueing rubs off and silvery shiny front sights are my pet pieve.

I had the CR Speed holster for one season. It was fast but my gun fell out twice and always felt like it was out of control while moving around.

I switched to the Speed Sec. It's just as fast and in 5 years I have never had the gun fall out. It holds securely during all movement.

The other thing I like about the Speed Sec, I can use it with any of my Smith & Wessons from my 4 inch Model 10 to my 8 3/8 inch Model 29 with no adjustment to the holster.

Edited by AzShooter

If I had the money, i'd go with the Racemaster holster. It looks like it can lock down the gun properly compared to the CR Speed. I had the gun drop on the ground once with the CR Speed too.

I believe it's 211.95 for the revolver version : http://www.ceddaa.com/Holsters+%252526+Rigs/Holsters/race-master-holster-revolver.html?osCsid=b70db9518fd53fa658312d40674244a4

good thing is you can use the same holster, change the insert, and use it for another gun for about $60.

I had Chris Stewart from Ready Tactical make me a holster that fits my 5 and 6 inch 627. It's kydex and very fast. It also fits my 5 inch 625 and 6 inch 686. I used a CR Speed until I dropped my gun between stages at an ICORE match. I'll try to post a pic when I get a chance.

Seiichi

If I had the money, i'd go with the Racemaster holster. It looks like it can lock down the gun properly compared to the CR Speed. I had the gun drop on the ground once with the CR Speed too.

I believe it's 211.95 for the revolver version : http://www.ceddaa.com/Holsters+%252526+Rigs/Holsters/race-master-holster-revolver.html?osCsid=b70db9518fd53fa658312d40674244a4

good thing is you can use the same holster, change the insert, and use it for another gun for about $60.

Thanks I really appreciate the link.

I had Chris Stewart from Ready Tactical make me a holster that fits my 5 and 6 inch 627. It's kydex and very fast. It also fits my 5 inch 625 and 6 inch 686. I used a CR Speed until I dropped my gun between stages at an ICORE match. I'll try to post a pic when I get a chance.

Seiichi

I have a safariland for the sneaky games I was more looking for a speed demon gun docking station for the fun stuff like Icore and USPSA

THanks everyone.

SpeedSec 5 for 686/646/625/627: I started using it in 2005 and I can write only positive things!

Shooters Connection has it

Shooters Connection no longer carries it. They told me that there was some patent infringement lawsuit going on and did not want to be involved.

The Hogue Power Speed is really fast. Once its unlocked the gun is held by magnets which keeps it from wiggling like the CR Speed does and there is very little resistance when you draw. When locked you're not getting the gun out.

SpeedSec 5 for 686/646/625/627: I started using it in 2005 and I can write only positive things!

Shooters Connection no longer carries it. They told me that there was some patent infringement lawsuit going on and did not want to be involved.

yeah unfortunately you can't buy it anymore :( pinged the SpeedSec website, no reply and Chuck from Shooters Connection has trouble ordering it too. Too bad!

Guess the best would be the Racemaster for now. Will post a review when I get mine.

The bottom line on holsters is, what's best is the one YOU are comfortable with and one that will give you the greatest consistence and safely retain your firearm. Unless you are shooting Steel Challenge the draw time is a very small part of the game. Having a good consistent grip is much more important.

JT

Edited by JThompson

I have a CR for my 2011, an old Safariland 007 for my 1911, used a modified Sarariland 002 for my 625 for a while and now for my Revo's I am using a DOH Blade Tech modified by cutting away 1/2 of the forward portion, then adding a tension adjusting screw. I notice no difference in my draws between any of these rigs/combos. One caveat on the Blade Tech, I cut and reshaped the forward portion of the holster to eliminate the 5" barrel of my 625 from catching I am a bit lazy and sometimes don't get the gun up as high as I need to, so I used a Dremel and whittled it down. My favorite rig, due to it's stability, speed and usefulness, is the 007.

I hate to give actual times, cause it always sounds like BS, but If I'm focused, warmed up and get a good reaction to the buzzer I can consistently run a sub 1 Second Draw, hitting something is sometimes problematical but then it always is! I think my fastest with the Blade Tech was .82, the fastest, most recent as I've slowed a bit with age, with any of the others is .78. But that was also after being warmed up for a half hour in practice. Cold it's more like 1.1+ second draws and good hits. Remember so much of the draw is actual reaction time to the buzzer, that can account for .2 seconds easily.

All that sounds ok, but it rarely is useful. If you can run a 1.1 draw and hit an A at 7 yards, you should be fine in A class. A Gm or M will need sub second draws, but then only rarely, to be competitive.

It's always more important to have a smooth draw and an A hit and good recovery for the rest of your splits than it is to focus on blazing 1st shots.

Unless you are doing Steel Challenge or some other Speed Intensive sport.

Edited by pskys2

yeah unfortunately you can't buy it anymore :( pinged the SpeedSec website, no reply and Chuck from Shooters Connection has trouble ordering it too. Too bad!

Guess the best would be the Racemaster for now. Will post a review when I get mine.

I just bought a backup Speed-Sec from CED

Edited by Gregg K

I only shot revolver a couple times this year.... but I've been thinking of switching to a SpeedSec. Not for any speed reasons, I really like my Safariland. And if I were standing up shooting all day it would never cross my mind to change. But the around the front Safariland makes it so hard for me to bend over and pick up my moons and reset steel.... :(

Yeah I hear you about the five inch versus the four out of a conventional. I felt like I was drawing a lot more gun out of the holster versus my four inch. To be fair the four inch is polished and has a lot less drag in the holster than the bead blasted 5". I would just like that .25 and go. I realize it isn't going to be a miracle GM device. It's cool I"ll get there someday. Hopefully.

I went to Hoeppner and Schumann's web site and here is the Speed Sec 5

http://hoeppner-schumann.de/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_37

and here for the Speed Sec 6GFL

http://hoeppner-schumann.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_46&products_id=339

Bad news though, it is in German.

Edited by RePete

The Hogue Power Speed is really fast. Once its unlocked the gun is held by magnets which keeps it from wiggling like the CR Speed does and there is very little resistance when you draw. When locked you're not getting the gun out.

Might want to check out the Hogue Power Speed Revo conversion in the Protocall Design vendor tent.

I just started shooting Revo again and I used my Race Master (for my STI) and bought an insert for it. FYI...The 625 block insert for the Race Master does fit the 627. I am using it now with my 627. It will probably fit all/most of the N frames but not sure.

Also, Saul Kirsch is top notch! Excellent responses and support, I have nothing but great things to say about him and Double Alpha.