Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skipping a Texas star penalty?

Ok so I have a match coming up that has a stage with 8 paper targets, 8 poppers, and 2 Texas stars. This is my 5 th match and first with a Texas star. My question. Is there a penalty for skipping the stars? Is each steel considered a miss?

If not it may be mathematically better for me to skip them.

8 paper 2 alphas each and 8 poppers (skipping the stars) is 120 points

The same with the stars is 170 points

I figured a time of 20 sec with no stars is a HF of 6

If I take 10 sec per star for a total time of 40 sec the HF is 4.25

So how is the missed steel treated?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 paper = 80 points

8 popers = 40 points

Total = 120

Two Texas stars not shot = -50

10 penalties for failure to engege = -50

So 120-100

So the maximum amount of points you can score skipping the stars is 20 out of 170.

Why don't you want to shoot texas stars? Isnt that what we pay for? Don't be afraid them. shoot the crap out of them and have fun :)

- One miss per target = -10

- One Failure to Engage per target = -10

- Not collecting the 5 points for each Alpha = -5 points, not collected.

So, if you don't shoot at any plates on a Texas Star rack, then you would be down 5plates x 25 points = 125pts. from the start.

Hit the plates. They are not as hard as they seem. Plenty of thread on here talking about how to manage them.

start at the top and work down and they wont move much. take your time and shoot the plates 1 at a time. oh and make sure to watch your frint sight when doing it, or you'll have an episode like I did a month or two ago <_<.

But no, do NOT skip it.

Edited by Corey

The texas star is a fun target, you are there to have fun. So shoot it

Ditto. After the first time or two shooting them, they become a lot of fun. Get an experienced shooter to explain the process with you.

The only time they are more difficult is when they do something evil like making one of the plates a no shoot, etc.

Mark K

If you don't have a start at your local club , thin you should take every chance to shoot one. watch some video of them. All five plates can be hit in under 3 seconds . not necessarily by me but they can be hit

I rember something that was posted about a top shooter over hearing two other shooters discussing "not shooting at a target" he said " If your not going to shoot at every target thin you should pack you shi* and go home"

I think he was talking about a 400 to 600 yard shot though

Edited by AlamoShooter

There are some strategies for shooting a texas star for the first time.

As previously said start at the top if it is stationary. This will slow the spinning somewhat. Then if you need to, move to a paper target then back to the star. If possible this can be repeated.

It has an activator, then activate it as soon as possible, maybe it will be slower when you get to it.

Many folks will tell you not to follow the spinning star. Ambush it. Pick a spot and wait to the star comes to the spot. Do not be in a rush. You may have to shoot every other star just to get your timing down. If it spins clockwise then counter clockwise, find the area where it reverses direction and try and ambush it there. It will pause longer when it reverses direction.

If you are tanking the star(s) make sure you fire at least five shots per star. This will avoid the FTE penalty. Do not spend all day on it. Take 7 or 8 shots then move on if you have not knocked down at least three stars.

This works for the first time or two, after that, more shots may teach you more.

Crux of the matter - the star is only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Approach it just like you;d approach any other target.

Besides, we're all shooting this for fun - if you tank it, it's no big deal. Just something to laugh about later.

No reason to just skip it. At the least take one plate. You end up with 4 misses but avoid the failure to engage. I have been frustrated by it many times even if I shot it well. I have myself and have seen others go toe to toe with it and empty mag after mag on it. Some days you just got to know when to walk away!!!!

In the end, your there for fun and to get better so just go at it...

At the least take one plate. You end up with 4 misses but avoid the failure to engage.

That's not quite right. You need to engage EACH plate to avoid the penalty for not engaging a target(s).

The star is the rack. Each plate is a separate target.

Crux of the matter - the star is only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Approach it just like you;d approach any other target.

Besides, we're all shooting this for fun - if you tank it, it's no big deal. Just something to laugh about later.

Bingo

You should shoot a star like any other target.

Good sight picture and squeeze the trigger.

Treat each plate as in individual target.

Start at the top. If the star stats swinging wildly. Pick a plate and try to make your shot as it is slowing, stopping (for an instant) and begining to head the other way.

7 or 8 well placed shots in 10 seconds is much better than skipping the targets or standing there and emptying 2 mags per star and having to quit because your out of ammo.

You can also shoot a couple of targets on one star and if it starts moving really quick, go to paper targets or the other star. then come back when it's slowed down a little.

Three of the clubs I shoot at have them. They rarely set them up, pisses me off to no end!

I can't afford to buy my own right now and those places are the ONLY place I get the chance to shoot them.

By not shooting them you are only screwing yourself out of GOOD training.

If you ever aspire to shoot any of the larger matches you stand a very good chance of seeing one.

Are you going to skip it then????????

Mildot

Three of the clubs I shoot at have them. They rarely set them up, pisses me off to no end!

I can't afford to buy my own right now and those places are the ONLY place I get the chance to shoot them.

By not shooting them you are only screwing yourself out of GOOD training.

If you ever aspire to shoot any of the larger matches you stand a very good chance of seeing one.

Are you going to skip it then????????

Mildot

Ask the powers that be at the clubs if you can set up a stage and then incorporate a star. Where there's a will there's a way.

Pat