Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan Vs. Trojan

Micah

So...I have been thinking about playing around in the dangerous, Glocks-fear-to-tread realm of 1911's. I have done a fair bit or research, and based upon what I have found, and based upon the fact that STI has contingency money for people who win divisions with their guns, my two options are the Spartan and the Trojan. My cons for each are as follows:

Spartan:

-Non ramped barrel

-Crappy sights

-Cast frame

Trojan:

-$400 more than the Spartan

So let us discuss what the best move is. I find the lack of a ramped barrel disturbing, as there is no reason for me to purchase a pistol for competition that will be moody. I also have no desire to blow an extra $400 when that money could go to ammo, mags, or other (lawyer) fees.

So what does the SS community think?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a kimber team match. If I had to do it again, I'd probably get a Trojan. That being said, the kimber wasn't that much more, and has a better trigger, a magwell, and good stippling. I don't regret it too much, but I'd rather deal with STI's service than kimber's.

1911's ran unramped since the pistol's birth. 100 years now. There must be a reason. It is much like my first glock. "No Hammer or manual safeties?" WTF? .45 feeds very well with almost all bullet shapes. I think I actually get more stovepipes with my ramped bull barsto built colt series 70 gold cup.

spartan and a new barrel? splits the difference between spending zero extra dollars and $400. Im looking into a new SS gun myself and had been basically debating the same 2, so i, sure ill be following this one closely

I'm not sure what caliber you've decided to get, but in my experience, non-ramped .45acp 1911s have been more reliable than all of my ramped pistols. That doesn't mean I didn't find the right combo for the others, but the 45s with a 2 piece feed ramp seemed to be the most reliable from slide lock, with the least amount of work.

Micah, I'm in the same boat as you. I am leaning toward the Trojan myself but I'm just not sure about that extra $ yet. I'm looking at the 9mm so the caliber is not an issue with me...Thanks for any input from others...

No matter what you do (in all things, it seems) it boils down to 6 little words ............

....... You get, what you pay for.

Bullets will come and go, but the extra $400 you spent on the Trojan will still be there Next match ..... next month .... next year .... next Victory!!! B)

:cheers:

The non ramped barrel is not a problem. I also wouldn't worry about the cast frame. Caspian frames are cast frames. I went with the spartan and spent the extra for a magwell and grips, and a new front sight(slimmer with smaller Fo) and a lighter recoil spring. I put grip tape on the front strap and might get it checkered later on when i need a refinish. I didnt care for the front strap of the trojan. Had greg do a trigger job on it and its good to go. Shot it right out of the box without a problem.

Get the Spartan and all the gear. I don't think the extra $400 spent is going to make Micah any better of a shooter or stop him from getting DQed with that single action trigger. :roflol:

Why shoot a Hi-Point when you can get a Glock? So why shoot a Spartan when you can get a Trojan?

I put a new front sight, magwell, recoil spring, and tweaked the sear spring on my Spartan. I couldn't be happier. No experience with the Trojan.

Very accurate gun right out of the box. Never had a malfunction in about 10k.

No complaints.

I subscribe to the do it once, right school of thought. I'd rather own no single stack than one that isn't 'perfect'.... so I wait.

Between the spartan and the trojan, my answer is neither. A used Les Baer is a lot closer to perfect and worth the wait. I have never wished I bought lesser quality tools....

I have an armscor gun and after a trigger job & dehorning, Some grips & a FO front sight, the gun had a totaI of $1050 including mags.Now I have a gun that rivals my bestest most expensive SS I have. When you buy a Trojan, you get forged parts, same crappy rr sight, bad trigger, Ramped barrel, fragile ambi, etc. Your $1000 gun just became $1500 and possibly more later. Now.. 6 47D mags is going to be another $2-300. Are you ready to spend 2k before reloading?

If you're going for a .45, it doesn't matter IMO (but with either, since I know you're a Glock-guy and you're well-versed in what's out there as far as sight options, you'll probably be looking to John Harrison for a wider-notch fixed rear sight that'll work with the adjustable LPA-cut and getting yourself a .100"-.090" Dawson front to mimic the Warren/Sevigny's that are light-years ahead of what most of the SS community is running), the Trojan's undercut trigger-guard is a plus, but is it worth the price of what a Spartan has to offer?: I'm not so sure.

In 9mm, arguably, the Trojan's ramped-barrel would be the better option for achieving the best reliability with the shorter OAL round, but that said, it'd still be pretty likely you'd have to cough up some extra cash for an Aftec and spend some time and money figuring out whether Tripp's or Wilson ETM's will work best with your particular gun after you've most likely wrecked a couple ejectors... If you're seriously after a 9mm gun with most of the 1911-attributes of a crisp trigger, etc, that most of us are after, than you should be already taking a hard look at a CZ Shadow, unless of course you're also looking for a new hobby that can get pricey... as from what I've seen, all the 9mm 1911's I've seen out there don't work very reliably regardless of what you spend...

Edited by ck1

Hello: I have a Spartan 45 with over 5000 rounds and it runs great. I like the undercut trigger guard as well so I put the frame in the mill and cut it. Not a big job since it only took 5 minutes. I have replaced the front sight with a Dawson fiber, new grips, Dawson no gap magwell, McCormick extended mag release(or Wilson), ISMI recoil spring 14lb, ISMI mainspring 17lb and a Ed Brown sear spring. I use either Wilson 47D's or Metalform Elites. I plan on checkering the front strap since it has grip tape on there now. I do like the Trojan as well but hate the front strap dimples and would like checkering or grip tape. My Spartan 9mm only has 120 rounds now and has been good so far with Tripp 10rd mags. If you are going to shoot single stack you will have to decide whether to shoot major or minor. I am not that good(only a "B") so it is major for me. Thanks, Eric

Once you put the first 60,000 rounds through a 9mm 1911, it really runs flawlessly.. :)

:rolleyes:

Or a couple hundred if you know what your doing.....

If your going 9mm I would suggest the ramped frame trojan. Cast or forged really doesn't make a huge difference but I did go forged with my next build. If your going .45 I would still lean towards the trojan as the Spartans I've seen can be iffy. Not to bad but a few things that tells you why they are 400$ less.