Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold vs Rainier

Mr Freeze

I have been shooting and reloading .45 cal Rainier plated bullets. I recently bought a 9mm STI Trojan and I am looking for a god bullet to use. I see a lot of guy's like Montana Gold. I am thinking about going with a 147gn CMJ.

Do I go right to Montana Gold to buy them?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer MG over Rainier. For roughly the same price you get a jacketed bullet over a plated one. You can order directly from MG on their website. If you buy a case they are one of the cheapest options for jacketed bullets. Like Ari said Manny has the best prices if you can order 6 or more cases. They don't all have to be the same bullets so you might try getting your buddies together for a group buy.

Montana Gold is SO easy to deal with. They ship same day, and charge a small fee for shipping compared to other places. I live in the Tacoma area where Rainer is located - but can't buy them for a good price locally... go figure. And Rainers don't seem to be major PF friendly in 9mm.

plated used to be a nice go-between lead and jacketed, now withthe prices being pretty comparable id go with the MG's you getthe full potential ofthe FMJ without all the hassels ofthe plated's, dont get me wrong ive shot a lot of plated in my time and it was pretty much a hit or miss affair, as to if you got a 'good' batch or not, the newer 'double struck' plated seems to be better than the norm

Montana Gold is SO easy to deal with. They ship same day, and charge a small fee for shipping compared to other places. I live in the Tacoma area where Rainer is located - but can't buy them for a good price locally... go figure. And Rainers don't seem to be major PF friendly in 9mm.

MG prices include shipping.

Edited to add: I forgot there is a $5 fee for shipping to a home. I get mine sent to work.

Edited by Sarge

My only experience with Rainer 124s resulted in horrendous tumbling / keyholing issues in a Glock 34.

They're not even cheaper than FMJs from Precision Delta or Montana Gold. How Berrys and Rainier sell *anything* is beyond me.

+100

I especially like that in order to get your bullets the correct size Berry's is more than willing to charge you extra for their "doublestruck" bullets.....not to mention the lead surcharge :angry2:

Back on topic...

You will not find a better product or customer service than Montana Gold...period :wub:

Edited by smokshwn

A little drift, how about Zero bullets in 9mm (major)? I heard it performs better than MG.

Another voice for Montana Gold. Zero is good also, although I don't have any experience with them in 9 major. In 38SC I use Montana Gold or Zero. My only hang-up with Zero is buying them. I've had some on order for so long (over 1 year) I forgot I ordered them. They called me a few weeks ago and said the order was ready to go but that my credit card had expired. I'm glad they called because the order is so old I don't even shoot that weight any more. I asked if we could switch the order to a weight that I use now and there was no problem with that... oh, other than they are out of stock and will probably be another 5 - 6 months before they make them. So all that is to say, Zero makes good bullets but so does Montana Gold and I can order today and have them within a couple of days instead of more than a year. dry.gif

If you buy in bulk, check out Mannyusa.com he has the best prices I've seen on Montana Gold bullets.

If you can put together a 6 case order with some friends, Manny is the only way to go. About $25.00/case cheaper. The cases do not have to be the same bullets and the last time I ordered from him they were shipped directly to my house. Great deal and great guy to deal with.

Pat

The MG 147gr CMJ works well in the couple of 9 guns I've tried it...feeds smooth and gives good accuracy. Obviously, not every gun will like every bullet, but they're well made and reasonably priced.

The great thing about MG is that they usually ship same day if you get the order in before too late in the afternoon. With both Zero and Precision Delta, you will often/usually have to wait to get them. I've had an order in with Zero for nearly a year, and they say that they don't know when they'll get around to that particular bullet. R,

This sport is already full of things you have to wait on, most notably primers at certain times. MG bullets are available when I want them and until that changes I see no reason to try anything else.

Marlo,

There have been a lot of good things said here by other posters. If you are shooting

9mm Production then from my experience with others shooters in my area the 147grain

CMJ MG bullet is the best choice. If you are shooting 9mm major then you would want

to go a little lighter, say 124grain. Zero are excellent bullets as well. The Rainier

bullets are plated and work great in 45acp (230rn), but not well in smaller calibers.

If you go with Mannyusa and buy 6 cases (maybe find some other shooters to go in with

you) you can save money. Also manny does not require you to order all the same bullets,

you can order different calibers, etc.

Ron