BUT,

Wish I didn't have to wade thru all the 9mm minor

questions to find it - would have made the search

a LOT SHORTER.

Is it tough to split the two - totally different

animals, really.

Just a thought for the moderators.

Jack

I'd suggest do a split from now on going forward. Individual thread starters of old threads could (if they wanted) just post a link to the old thredd in the new catagory. Or, if you found a good thread in the old group you could post a link.

I think we'd quickly capture the most popular / useful data in the new category.

That's by $0.02. :cheers:

No offense to HPJ, but that search should have taken all of two minutes. The only way this makes sense would be to break out all the various 9s and 38s into their own sub-forums, and that would be a mountain of works for the Mods, who already work hard enough.

Obviously, it's just my opinion, but I think this is one of the times when the forum members need to learn how to use the search function better, rather that put more of a workload on the Mods. R,

Edit to add: I think it's sort of funny that the thread directly under this one, has a whole bunch of HS6 loads and would have answered the OP's question...no need to search at all, and it's the first reply if you put "HS6" in the search window.

Edited by G-ManBart

I'd suggest do a split from now on going forward. Individual thread starters of old threads could (if they wanted) just post a link to the old thredd in the new catagory. Or, if you found a good thread in the old group you could post a link.

I think we'd quickly capture the most popular / useful data in the new category.

I agree.

No offense to HPJ, but that search should have taken all of two minutes. The only way this makes sense would be to break out all the various 9s and 38s into their own sub-forums, and that would be a mountain of works for the Mods, who already work hard enough.

Obviously, it's just my opinion, but I think this is one of the times when the forum members need to learn how to use the search function better, rather that put more of a workload on the Mods. R,

Edit to add: I think it's sort of funny that the thread directly under this one, has a whole bunch of HS6 loads and would have answered the OP's question...no need to search at all, and it's the first reply if you put "HS6" in the search window.

I submit not all searches are so simple. What if you used HS-6 or HS 6? how about 125, 125gr, 125 gr, 125 grain? People use abbreviations, or slang, or alternative terms.

For example "silhouette 125 major" turns up several pages of threads, many with several pages of discussion. It takes time to go through all that info. A more detailed set of search terms would narrow the result, but possibly missing the sought after information, leading to the posting of a question asked and answered, getting the "asked, answered, use the search function" reply.

Don't get me wrong, people should use the search function, but in a free form world like this forum, there is a good deal of "luck" in guessing what terms could / would have been used. Sometimes you get lucky and the result you want pop's right up, sometimes not.

And its not just about searching but also browsing. Discussion of USPSA and IDPA are separate not for searching but for browsing. If you want to see what's going on in one game you don't want to sift through all the chatter about the other.

I don't think anyone is asking (I know I'm not) the mod's to go sort through 1000's of threads, just create a new category for people to post and through natural evolution, migrate data over, allowing more focused browsing, and possibly more effective searches.

H.P.J.

Yes, I agree it can be frustrating to find what you want sometimes. But if it's real hard to do, we're probably doing something wrong.

Try this search string in the advanced search box (looks like a little gear in the upper right corner) and see if it doesn't narrow your results.

+HS*6 +9mm +major in the 9mm/38 Caliber sub-forum.

The string is "spaced" like this. +HS*6[space]+9mm[space]+major and that's important.

You should see 71 very pertinent results.

Good hunting!

Edited by Jman

I'm all for separating 9 major and 38 Super from regular 9. The amount of work is what ever they decide to do but going forward it might keep some Noobs from blowing up their gun. And end some confusing posts that mix 38 super and 9 major.

I've had mixed luck with search and maybe I just need to take a lot of time to study the search options but I think its a little weak when it comes to focusing in on very particular stuff. Of course if you know exactly how it was posted you have better results. Such as HS-6 vs HS6 or HS 6 etc.

H.P.J.

Yes, I agree it can be frustrating to find what you want sometimes. But if it's real hard to do, we're probably doing something wrong.

Try this search string in the advanced search box (looks like a little gear in the upper right corner) and see if it doesn't narrow your results.

The string is "spaced" like this. +HS*6[space]+9mm[space]+major and that's important.

Good hunting!

So what is that string saying vs just "HS-6 + 9mm + major"

So what was the answer???? so I dont have to search :devil: no, seriously!! 8.0 grains or so?

I just waded thru two years of old postings to find

an answer to a question ( how many grains of HS6 do

you need to get a 125 gr MG to Major?) - found the

answer,

BUT,

Wish I didn't have to wade thru all the 9mm minor

questions to find it - would have made the search

a LOT SHORTER.

Is it tough to split the two - totally different

animals, really.

Just a thought for the moderators.

Jack

I submit not all searches are so simple. What if you used HS-6 or HS 6? how about 125, 125gr, 125 gr, 125 grain? People use abbreviations, or slang, or alternative terms.

For example "silhouette 125 major" turns up several pages of threads, many with several pages of discussion. It takes time to go through all that info. A more detailed set of search terms would narrow the result, but possibly missing the sought after information, leading to the posting of a question asked and answered, getting the "asked, answered, use the search function" reply.

Don't get me wrong, people should use the search function, but in a free form world like this forum, there is a good deal of "luck" in guessing what terms could / would have been used. Sometimes you get lucky and the result you want pop's right up, sometimes not.

And its not just about searching but also browsing. Discussion of USPSA and IDPA are separate not for searching but for browsing. If you want to see what's going on in one game you don't want to sift through all the chatter about the other.

I don't think anyone is asking (I know I'm not) the mod's to go sort through 1000's of threads, just create a new category for people to post and through natural evolution, migrate data over, allowing more focused browsing, and possibly more effective searches.

No, all searches won't be so simple, but rarely are they so hard that I can't find what I'm looking for within a few minutes. It happens in every sub-forum here...people ask the same question over and over, when the answer was a line or two down, or it's easy to pull up in search, but it's obvious they didn't.

You may not be suggesting splitting and migrating the old posts, but it's not clear what the OP had in mind. If he wasn't suggesting migrating the old threads, a new forum won't be helpful for a long time because it'd be empty (without a bunch of work for the Mods). That would mean asking the same old question in the new forum, and having someone go find it in the old/combined forum and pointing them to it, and hopefully getting a Mod to move it to the new forum. What about those topics that cover both?...like, can I use small rifle primers in my 9 Major and .38 Super guns?

It doesn't really matter to me, but I think it might mean a bunch of work for the Mods (with or without migrating threads). R,

I agree.

+2

It would be helpful to split 9/38 into multiple threads. I'd like to see 9 minor, 9 major, 38 super and maybe 38 special?. If I'm looking for production info the Open info is cumbersome. As a 9-open shooter it would be helpful to have this information separated. On a go forward basis only...

Edited by sidnal

No, all searches won't be so simple, but rarely are they so hard that I can't find what I'm looking for within a few minutes. It happens in every sub-forum here...people ask the same question over and over, when the answer was a line or two down, or it's easy to pull up in search, but it's obvious they didn't.

You may not be suggesting splitting and migrating the old posts, but it's not clear what the OP had in mind. If he wasn't suggesting migrating the old threads, a new forum won't be helpful for a long time because it'd be empty (without a bunch of work for the Mods). That would mean asking the same old question in the new forum, and having someone go find it in the old/combined forum and pointing them to it, and hopefully getting a Mod to move it to the new forum. What about those topics that cover both?...like, can I use small rifle primers in my 9 Major and .38 Super guns?

It doesn't really matter to me, but I think it might mean a bunch of work for the Mods (with or without migrating threads). R,

True. Either way I'm thankful we have this resource available. :cheers:

For anyone saying the search should be easy: have you actually tried the new forum search very much? It sucks. It takes a preposterous amount of time to get answers to even the simplest questions.

I sympathize totally with the thread starter and whole-heartedly endorse separating Major and Minor discussions.

Not in favor of splitting. You can't have a forum for every different thing.

This part of the forums works about as well as you can expect. It would be perfect, if everyone would search before starting a new topic.

Since so few search, starting a new forum would spread the damage further. Expecting a new forum to fix the problem is unrealistic.

H.P.J.

Good hunting!

So what is that string saying vs just "HS-6 + 9mm + major"

A whole bunch actually wink.gif but as to the what and whys...beats me.

Typing in your example HS-6 + 9mm + major shows no results. But, that's due to the use of a hyphen (-) and not the wild-card asterisk (*).

All this goes to reinforce my original point. If you find searching for things here to hard, you are probably searching wrong to begin with.

If I can anyone of U's can smile.gif

So what was the answer???? so I dont have to search :devil: no, seriously!! 8.0 grains or so?

I just waded thru two years of old postings to find

an answer to a question ( how many grains of HS6 do

you need to get a 125 gr MG to Major?) - found the

answer,

Jack

Yes, about 7.8 - 8.0 grains - thought I'd start with 7.8.

Jack

I agree.

Sounds like a good approach. Jack

I agree.

Sounds like a good approach. Jack

+1. 9mm really deserves its own area now.