Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 is eating trigger springs

spanky

Can you guys help me diagnose this? I have a Glock 34 that I have personally put about maybe 7-8,000 rounds through and it has gone through, since I acquired it last April or so, about 4 trigger springs. It has gone through one factory spring before I changed out a few things and now has gone through three more Glockworx springs.

Last time this happened, it was breaking on the side of the trigger housing so I swapped that with a spare that I had. This time it broke on the trigger bar side. Is it reasonable to assume there might be an issue there as well? I think I may have a spare trigger bar and, if not, I can order one.

Just wanted to get some opinions from some more experienced people.

Are you perhaps stressing it at the "loop" bends when removing it during detail strip/cleaning? I have broken only one trigger spring (a reduced Wolff which I won't use any longer) in 55K rounds. You've probably already checked the spring hole on the trigger bar for roughness/sharp edge. If the spot where it's breaking is consistent with this, you could put a chamfer on the edges of this hole.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

I always carried spares but only broke one in about 18 years of shooting Glocks. Use Glock factory springs and make sure they are installed correctly, the opening on the spring should be down at the trigger bar or it will bind and break.

Tim

Are you perhaps stressing it at the "loop" bends when removing it during detail strip/cleaning? I have broken only one trigger spring (a reduced Wolff which I won't use any longer) in 55K rounds. You've probably already checked the spring hole on the trigger bar for roughness/sharp edge. If the spot where it's breaking is consistent with this, you could put a chamfer on the edges of this hole.

Curtis

How dare you insinuate that I clean the gun.

But seriously, no, I try my hardest not to pull on the spring during installation or removal.

I always carried spares but only broke one in about 18 years of shooting Glocks. Use Glock factory springs and make sure they are installed correctly, the opening on the spring should be down at the trigger bar or it will bind and break.

Tim

I'll double check this (I'm at work right now) but I'm relatively certain that it is installed as you described.

Tim

My bet is that Tim wins the tech support prize on your dilemma.

:cheers:

Curtis

Wow. Very VERY odd. Never heard of this at the breakage rate you are describing. Some geometry is way off and/or your trigger springs are junk. Make sure it's installed right...meaning the spring should have a "S" shape looking straight at it with the trigger in your right hand above the trigger mechanism housing in the left.

LOL! I've only had one trigger spring break in 9 years of running a glock, and it was a stock one. I use either the factory or glockmeister springs.

You may have it installed wrong, but still, three of them?

From Charlie Vanek's site:

Fig_9c_Trg_Spring_0.JPG

That seems really odd

I have worked on tons of Glocks, my own and several hundred department guns. While I have fixed quite a few parts over time, I don't recall any one gun going through trigger springs like that.

My suggestion would be to try a new trigger w/ trigger bar. I know you said you replaced the trigger housing, but the trigger bar is the part that moves and may be putting some type of undo stress on the springs.

Last time I checked they were still pretty cheap. Worst case scenario (other than still having the same problem) is you have an extra part if you ever need it.

Is it a factory connector? You may wish to try a replacement for that part as well. The angle of engagement with the trigger bar by be stressing the spring?

If you have another 9mm Glock, just switch out the whole trigger group and see if that solves the problem.

If that doesn't work, call Glock and see if they will send you a shipping label.

Hopefully my educated guessing helped some :(

Can you guys help me diagnose this? I have a Glock 34 that I have personally put about maybe 7-8,000 rounds through and it has gone through, since I acquired it last April or so, about 4 trigger springs. It has gone through one factory spring before I changed out a few things and now has gone through three more Glockworx springs.

Last time this happened, it was breaking on the side of the trigger housing so I swapped that with a spare that I had. This time it broke on the trigger bar side. Is it reasonable to assume there might be an issue there as well? I think I may have a spare trigger bar and, if not, I can order one.

Let's see if I have this right. It was running fine until you changed some things. If all you changed were the springs, I'd go out on a limb and say that is where your problem lies. What else did you change?

Let's see if I have this right. It was running fine until you changed some things. If all you changed were the springs, I'd go out on a limb and say that is where your problem lies. What else did you change?

It has a ghost connector. Glockworx light striker & glockworx safety plunger. Thats it internally besides the trigger spring, striker spring and plunger spring.

Has the front spring attachment point been relocated by someone doing trigger work? I relocate it on all the Glocks I do trigger jobs on, but If you leave the original hole as is the current trend you have to make sure the spacing is correct or it will bind. This would be two holes on the trigger bar tang, you would use the top one and snake the loop on the spring through the bottom one.

Tim

It has a ghost connector. Glockworx light striker & glockworx safety plunger. Thats it internally besides the trigger spring, striker spring and plunger spring.

Were all these changes made at the same time and before you had the problem? I'd suggest you remove all the glockworx stuff, go back stock and change items one at a time, run them, then see what happens. There is the possibility that your spring combination's are at fault. Flex talks of the imbalance when you get these wrong. There is a proper mix to recoil, striker and trigger springs with Glock.

My gut instinct is that if the spring is breaking, the problem is probably the spring. Simple I know, but simple answers are frequently correct. Try going for one of the current production battleship gray factory Glock trigger springs and see if that solves your problem - which it probably will.

I'll suggest several things for your consideration-

First, as others have recommended, simply go to, and stick with, the OEM current-production battleship gray Glock coil trigger spring.

Second, More recent production Gen 3 (and by definition, Gen4) Glocks have had the spring attachment holes both in the triggerbar and the trigger housing mechanism components slightly enlarged, to reduce flexation stress/fatigue on the spring portions in contact with the inner hole wall during the action sequence-so you might want to replace you trigger housing machanism and your triggerbar for new ones-which leads to...

Three, Glock has just introduced an product-improved triggerbar, which has a sort of a "dogleg" bend and a channel for the spring attachment point; the purpose for the improvements is to further reduce potential spring wear/fatigue. While it arguably may be overkill (as others have mentioned, failures of the battleship gray coil trigger spring are extremely rare), it might be worthwhile to consider; I'm keeping my "non-dogleg" triggerbar in my G17 (partially as a comparison, more because it's sinfully nice as is), but have just put the new "dogleg" triggerbar in my G19. On a gun running a NY spring, it's irrelevant as to which one you go with, as it appears that the "dogleg" is the only running change, and that portion of the triggerbar is irrelevant to the activation of the NY springs.

And to head off the inevitable ensuing question, no, this is NOT the Gen4/G37 triggerbar-it does not have the blister on the vertical extension.

And Fourth, I suppose you could alternatively simply ditch the coil trigger spring and elect to go with a NY1 spring and the "-" 4.5 lb. "minus" connector...

Best, Jon

Edited by JonInWA