Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions to Top Shot Producers

Nemo

TO THE PRODUCERS:

Here some suggestion of shooting challenges and firearms that could be used in the show:

CHALLENGES:

1 - Drawing handgun from a holster and [insert shooting challenge here]

2 - Make contestants do magazine changes (pistol and rifle)

3 - Man vs. Man at plate racks

4 - Shotgun games (skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc)

5 - Shotgun man vs man with poppers and clays.

more to come...

FIREARMS

1 - 1911

2 - M1 Garand

3 - M14

4 - S&W revolvers (from J-frames to X-frames)

5 - Handgun with red dot sight (open gun)

6 - Glock 17

7 - SHOTGUNS (double barrels, pump and semis)

What else?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about more (i.e. 95%) of the show being like the Sunday 8 Aug show. Now that was a competition. If I want stupid bickering and squabbles, I'll watch Jersey Shore.

Precisely, show us real competition (as well as practice and preparation) not producer ginned up drama. After a short look at the edited and packaged drama from the promo spots and trailers (that's so 1990's MTV Real World One) I chose not to watch any of Season one. The formulaic reality TV shows are like chick flicks...most guys are simply uninterested and the only reason they sit through them is at the behest of someone else

Show real competitions, USPSA, Bianchi, IDPA, Skeet, Trap, Bullseye, CMP/Highpower, Benchrest, 3 gun, cowboy, archery.

Get some REAL firearm/equipment sponsors to provide suitable/serviceable equipment for each event.

I'd like to see the .50 BMG, either Barrett or M2, in action on some long range stuff.

Speaking of Trap or skeet, I had an uncle that could shoot flying clay targets with a 22 rifle all day long. That would be fun to watch(but not to actually try :roflol: )

Just a simple steel challenge stage with pistol would be fun as well.

Get Tom Knapp for the shotgun portion, Byron Ferguson for the bow portion, Jerry M for the revo, Dave S for the Glock, TGO for the Springfield, Bob Munden for whatever he wants to shoot!

This is a very good suggestion but turns on marketing. If Glock wants Dave on all they need to do is advertise which would also work to Springfield with TGO, Tom Knapp for Benelli, or Jerry for S&W (but let us be honest, had we not rather see Julie???)

id like to see them doing some acrobatic stunts such as barrel rolls/ backflips/ and or midair tumbles off of a raied platform WHILE firing a 50bmg to explode a gasoline drum 1000 yards away

but srsly though when i had tv i watched a couple episodes of this and kind of thought they needed a bit more guncraft and less gossip. they need to take a good look at thier target audience.

Suggestion, do more of that Episode 9. im surprised no 1911s this season, hopefully we see 'em on ep. 10. More shooting, do practice shooting and take footage of that. Im not sure if production/producers know that top shooters be in constant practice to be on top.

I don't much care the game, as long as it is head to head competition. Comparing times is all well and good but not as photogenic and tension-inducing as things like the rope shoot and crossbow challenge. I think the producers are just feeling out the format for what they can do safely, which is probably alot more than they think[1]. But they might be thinking they can't get good film to show clearly what is happening when there is two teams moving at the same time.

A barely-acceptable alternative would be those video techniques which overlay the action from various runs. I've seen that done with local match videos, it can't be that expensive.

Event idea:

4x4 stump shoot... imagine the slo-mo of bullets hitting and the top falling. Individual or teams, but it has to be head to head competition.

Note [1]: My secret half-serious feeling is that there will never be field courses or the like (or a stump shoot, anything with multiple rounds at a target), because the sight of real GMs going at full speed would be thought "too scary" for the mass market audience. Hopefully more exposure like 3-Gun Nation on Versus will help alleviate this perception.

Take an AKM, an AR, a Sig 556, and a SCAR, field strip them all, throw the parts together in a bucket, shake it a bit. Fastest to assemble a gun and shoot it wins.

Field strip an AR and put it in a box covered with a blanket. Shooting competition starts by assembling by feel only.

Make 4 shooting stations, each out to 200 yards. Put them on a 2 mile course. Score is half shooting, half run time.

Take an AKM, an AR, a Sig 556, and a SCAR, field strip them all, throw the parts together in a bucket, shake it a bit. Fastest to assemble a gun and shoot it wins.

Field strip an AR and put it in a box covered with a blanket. Shooting competition starts by assembling by feel only.

Make 4 shooting stations, each out to 200 yards. Put them on a 2 mile course. Score is half shooting, half run time.

and in similar tests of shooting ability, they could bake a cake, tie a sheepshank, and knit mittens. oh and when they are done with each they could shoot a gun.

:blush:

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Im not sure if production/producers know that top shooters be in constant practice to be on top.

no. i dont think they do actually. all they concern themselves with is sensationalistic BS without looking at the cold facts. they need to man up and put more tobasco sauce on thier medium rare beef steaks.

my idea in a past thread seems like a winner from a shooters standpoint. No one gets eliminated, everyone shoots each week. winner gets 100 points, 2nd place gets 95, 3rd gets 90, etc etc. have some challenges liek we've seen, also throw in some USPSA matches, a Bianchi match, a sniper match, and F-class match, a 3 gun match, SASS match, etc etc. Put the shooters thu all different disciplines and the overall winner with the most points in the end will be the Top Shot of the group...

I'd really like to see them shooting a broader number of firearms. It seems that sponsors or some other concerns are driving the weapons of choice.

The competitors should have 24/7 access to firearms and endless amounts of ammunition in order to practice for their 60 seconds of glory.

The competitors should have 24/7 access to firearms and endless amounts of ammunition in order to practice for their 60 seconds of glory.

well yeah but dude, where does the money come from?

benjamins-247x300.jpg

All_About_The_Benjamins-001.jpg

How about more (i.e. 95%) of the show being like the Sunday 8 Aug show. Now that was a competition. If I want stupid bickering and squabbles, I'll watch Jersey Shore.

Amen!! Can the juvenile drama. And for Pete's sake (no pun intended), provide nearly new and reliable firearms.

How about shooting up used school buses at a half mile using a M1A1 Abrams battle tank? :surprise: Drawing it from a holster could be optional. :devil:

Edited by XD Niner

You know, you guys could just watch 3 Gun Nation instead of reinventing Top Shot.

Got the threegunners covered. Got the heads up competition covered.

Eliminate the living together drama covered.

Sounds pretty good to me!

But of course I am biased!!!!

Patrick

You know, you guys could just watch 3 Gun Nation instead of reinventing Top Shot.

Patrick

I really wish I got that channel :(

-rvb

well yeah but dude, where does the money come from?

Sponsors. Hornady and Federal sponsor a lot of TV already. I don't see why they wouldn't supply some ammo for the show.

Patrick

I don't find 3 gun nation even the slightest bit entertaining. It's cool to see what is essentially news coverage of big 3-gun events. But it's a show for shooters, which shows factual things. It's not creative, it's not very exciting, and if I wasn't a shooter, I wouldn't watch it at all.