Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TOP SHOT #9

BLUTO

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the deal with Kelly removing his glasses after every shot and having to put them back on?

Any reason anyone did not want to shoot the HK 91 dry like they did to empty the pistol?

This might not have made up enough time for Kelly to have been saved but it would have had to shorten his time.

This was clearly the best episode IMHO. Finally, all the teen age drama was eliminated and pure competition surfaced. The two challenges were very different tests and I for one think they finally were starting to set the bar where it needs to be for this show. My hope is that the producers do much more of this next season and a lot less of the drama queen BS.

I was as surprised as anyone to see Blake go home after the first challenge. He did a great job and I really enjoyed his presence.

Kelly was the biggest surprise for me. He sent home four competitors in head-to-head challenges. He was perhaps the quickest learner of the bunch.

I hope next week's episode is worthy of the honor of determining the Top Shot.

Hated to see Blake go, he handled it with class. Good job Blake. Way to go JJ set the fastest time.

Yes I was surprise also to see Blake go. I though for sure he would be one of the last men standing. Look like next week there might be a shoot off. My money is also on JJ.

Any reason anyone did not want to shoot the HK 91 dry like they did to empty the pistol?

I haven't seen the episode yet, but probably because an HK91 doesn't have a bolt hold open. The charging handle is waaay up there, has a long pull, and on some guns I've shot takes a bit of man-handling. Not a gun for wimps :) Not lefty-friendly either.

Great episode. I liked Blake's response to losing. I'm going to get my production pistol and fire a million rounds until every one is in the bullseye. Too bad he left early, a show down with Blake and JJ would have been epic, especially on the dueling tree. :sight:

As in the "real world" it all can come down to just one shot. I always thought Blake would've been a better choice to win it all than JJ just because in addition to being a super practical pistol shot he's also a hunter, and a bayou boy in general. Too bad to see him go.

Kelly really is the giant slayer. How many GMs did he send home? Good for him! :cheers:

Next week unless he's put WAY out of his comfort zone, I mean further out than shooting a M-N and throwing knives, none of the contestants left in the show can beat JJ at a dueling plate rack with a pistol. I mean... it's J.J. "Freakin" Racaza! :D

We shall see...

I haven't seen the episode yet, but probably because an HK91 doesn't have a bolt hold open. The charging handle is waaay up there, has a long pull, and on some guns I've shot takes a bit of man-handling. Not a gun for wimps :) Not lefty-friendly either.

+1...it looks like they were required to lock the bolt open when they left the rifle(s). Since the HK91/93 doesn't have a LRBHO the would have had to rack it manually anyways. Looks like they all slapped the charging handle like they were taught to do though!

Agreed, best episode by far. Kelly the GM killer finally eliminated. It they would have had the last rifle bay be a scoped Remington 700 at 600 yards it might have been a different story.

Yes, I know that dropping a round directly into the chamber and letting the extractor snap over it is bad form and not good for the extractor. I also know that it will generally work :).

That being said, if I had $100K on the line and needed to get one shot off quickly, I would consider doing so and pulling the slide all the way back to release it (and get the extra bit of spring tension to snap over the extractor).

I wonder if all of the competitors chose not to employ this technique, or if they were told not to engage in such gamesmanship.

Yes, I know that dropping a round directly into the chamber and letting the extractor snap over it is bad form and not good for the extractor. I also know that it will generally work :).

That being said, if I had $100K on the line and needed to get one shot off quickly, I would consider doing so and pulling the slide all the way back to release it (and get the extra bit of spring tension to snap over the extractor).

I wonder if all of the competitors chose not to employ this technique, or if they were told not to engage in such gamesmanship.

That is a lot harder on an HK than you might think because of how it is configured. Doing that requires fine rather than gross motor skills and if you do not insert the mag you might have the round fall out the bottom on the load. What you describe however would have been IMO exactly what should have been the follow up if you loaded one and then missed since the mag would have already been in place.

That is a lot harder on an HK than you might think because of how it is configured.

I was thinking of the handgun, not the rifles, when making that comment. All the competitors loaded the handgun via the magazine. There is no need to have a mag in the handgun for such a technique to work.

If it was anything other than a dueling tree w/ handgun I'd say Pete would take the title.

He seems like a cool guy. I liked his response to the question "Nervous?"

"No, they aren't shooting back."

:cheers: I just can't get over his velcro sneakers. He must be a function over form kind of guy.