Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prizes in matches

j33716

So many matches have different ways to distribute prizes and/or money. Lately I have seen many of the "prize table" methods. As with these they are kind of a frenzy to grab the highest value piece and sell it for cash. Some matches I have seen all out greed. People speed their way to the table as soon as their name is called, passing by the previous higher level winner and snatching a prize before the other winner has a chance. People who shoot a day other than the finals day often loose out.

None of the prizes change our lives but it's nice to win something for the effort.

What do you prefer for prizes?

What method of distribution do you prefer?

That is basically what we do at the Indiana Section. We bag stuff all the prizes and at registration you get handed a bag and already has a prize in it.

With a 3 day match it is hard to have an awards ceremony. Plus I do not pre order plaques. We had several people change divisions the week leading into the match and some at registration. And since the match was after the 15th of the month there were several peoples classifications that changed.

I personally am tired of prize tables, at least the putting them together and soliciting for prizes. It takes a ton of time to do it and the companies just get slammed with request.

I am all for trophy only and cash pay back. But you have to increase your entry fee for the payback.

I do like have a match sponsor, and stage sponsors and then special recognition sponsors like for staff shirts, targets, match book, banner etc

Get rid of the prize tables all together, give out donated stuff IAW the wishes of the people doing the donatng. Lower the entry fees rather than give cash payouts, Give out plaques, mugs, or trophies for class winners, and division winners. Oh and dont let people change divisions at registration I have never heard of such a thing, most matches have a registration deadline.

Talk to Linda Chico. The SC Sectional is a cash match, all donated prizes are given away at the banquet by drawing unless the vendor has asked for a specific giveaway. Linda and Jack Suber manage to give away a lot of cash, put on great match with reasonable fee, usually have a pretty nice table of prizes for the lottery, and still take good care of their workers. And Linda does it with great efficency and grace.

BTW this is one of my favorite matches!

Rather see cash payouts. If the match fees are a little higher so be it.

Edit to add: The reason I say cash payouts is because I don't need anything else around the house collecting dust or taking up space. YMMV!

Edited by bkeeler

You ask 20 people about prizes and you may get 20 different answers. I go to the match to test my abilities against some of the best shooters in the world and to have a little fun with friends. Prizes are cool but like others have said you won't get rich doing this. What I would like to see more of are souvenir type items. Pins, water bottles, t-shirts and so on. I really like the pins so I can add them to my range bag and remember all the great times I had. Awards are nice for the same reasons. Only problem is I can't hang it on the side of my range bag. :goof:

How many prize table threads do we need? :rolleyes:

2 more......no make it 3 more but one has to be a poll.

As a guy that puts on a match and spent 6 months sending out request and lining up sponsors.

Me and the UPS guy that delivers to my house want to know if it is worth it or not.

That also brings up the question about match t-shirts. I spent a ton of $$ on t-shirts.

I see alot of matches now that there is an entry fee, and then if you want a shirt it is additional.

In order to keep the match fee reasonable I went with t-shirts. The cost of going with the tech-wear style shirts and the lead time needed was just not going to work.

You ask 20 people about prizes and you may get 20 different answers. I go to the match to test my abilities against some of the best shooters in the world and to have a little fun with friends. Prizes are cool but like others have said you won't get rich doing this. What I would like to see more of are souvenir type items. Pins, water bottles, t-shirts and so on. I really like the pins so I can add them to my range bag and remember all the great times I had. Awards are nice for the same reasons. Only problem is I can't hang it on the side of my range bag. :goof:

Great answer.... cheers.gif

Just had a thought. Make a cash payout a class/Division option. Say the match fee is $60.00 make an option on the app for say $20.00 this $20.00 goes to a pool for the class/Division purse the person is in.

Example: I am in A class/Limited and take the $20.00 option say 5 other people in A class/Limited also take the option so now there is $120.00 in the pool for "A" class. the payout would be:

3 or less 100% to winner

4 to 7 60/40

8 to 11 50/30/20

12 or more 40/30/20/10

The example above payout would be 1st A Class would get $72.00 and 2nd would get $48.00.

So if there are 10 shooters in A Class Limited only 6 took the option only these 6 are eligible for the prize money.

Anyway just a thought.

My biggest complaint about prize tables is that it requires waiting around until it is time to go through them. I shoot a number of major matches in one day to minimize my hotel and meal costs as well as the number of days away from home. This means that I typically shoot Friday or Saturday of a three day match. The prize table is usually Sunday afternoon or even Sunday evening by the time all the scores are entered. This would mean at least one extra night at a hotel plus two or three meals and another day. Given those costs and the likely prize value for a mediocre B shooter, I always opt to skip the prize table. It just isn't worth it.

I would certainly prefer to receive a random prize when signing up. Maybe a selection of the top prizes could be kept for the Top 5% of places in each of the Divisions to fairly reward those who are outstanding competitors. On the other hand, how many of these folks really need another S&W Sigma?

My biggest complaint about prize tables is that it requires waiting around until it is time to go through them. I shoot a number of major matches in one day to minimize my hotel and meal costs as well as the number of days away from home. This means that I typically shoot Friday or Saturday of a three day match. The prize table is usually Sunday afternoon or even Sunday evening by the time all the scores are entered. This would mean at least one extra night at a hotel plus two or three meals and another day. Given those costs and the likely prize value for a mediocre B shooter, I always opt to skip the prize table. It just isn't worth it.

I would certainly prefer to receive a random prize when signing up. Maybe a selection of the top prizes could be kept for the Top 5% of places in each of the Divisions to fairly reward those who are outstanding competitors. On the other hand, how many of these folks really need another S&W Sigma?

:roflol: Who needs one anyway?

I don't much care for the "random drawing to walk up to the table", hate the wait. :angry2: Often just skip it because I'm not likely to get picked early. Not seen it done by finish place.

I have seen the "assigned and handed out at registration" method and that work out well. :)

I've also shot the SC Sectional (previously mentioned) and as a ranked finisher, the cash payout was nice. :D

No matter what, I get a t-shirt if available (even if extra cost). It's a memento that doesn't just collect dust and I get it even if I had a bad day shooting. ;)

Generally, I like the idea of prizes but the lack of prizes won't be much (if any) of a deciding factor.

Rob

One other comment regarding tee shirts. In this part of the country it is very hot for at least six months of the year. Wearing a tee shirt that is soaked in sweat five minutes after you exit your truck is no treat. I always shoot in a shirt made of those modern sweat wicking, quick dry fabrics. Tech Wear is the high end of these and I love their shirts but they are a bit pricey. I have a half dozen polo shirts that I've bought for $15 or less retail that work almost as well. I'm sure that many of the customized tee shirt vendors are now carrying these as well. I would much rather spend an additional $5 on the match fee and get a shirt that I can wear to matches nearly year round.

I like the cash payout idea. Don't have to be present for the awards table. Some matches it's definitely worth it to wait around though. When I raced motorcycles, they paid out cash for top finishers. Get a plaque, got a check. It may not have been much but it was nice. Our sport has divisions AND classes so it's a little more time consuming though.

I like Bkeelers idea. Have an 'opt in' cash pot. Want to shoot for fun and test your skill? Don't opt in. May add to the already difficult task of running a major match though. I'd pitch in $20 for the chance to win back my entry fee.

I just talked to a sponsored shooter and asked him about the guns he gets. He has a gun room and three safes. He gets about 10 guns a year from matches he enters.

The professional shooters always get the top dollar guns and sometimes the only guns on the prize table. The guns should go to D through master class.

I like plaques or trophies to the first 5 in each division and class. Then, some good stuff in shooters bags......like gun cleaning supplies, mags, etc.

The prize table is nice, but a lot of work for the organizer.

Why not leave it up to the Match staff to reward the competitors for their finishes in whatever way they feel is best? There is not a single best way to do prize tables or awards that applies to or works for every single match. That would be like expecting every stage and berm to be exactly the same from one USPSA match to the next. I think that the differences in the prize tables adds to the flavor of the match and either attracts shooters to the match or not based on how its done and what people prefer. I prefer a prize table that is done by top to bottom order of finish within a Division regardless of classification. This to me bases the prize distribution upon shooting performance, which after all is the reason why most of the people are attending the match anyway right? But once again, this is just my opinion.

In the end its up to the match staff to understand their customers and reward the shooters in the best way that keeps the majority of their customers happy. That is a hard thing to balance and coordinate. There will always be a small group of shooters who disagree with the process that has been chosen. That’s what happens when you have any publicly interactive event.

I say let the prize table be whatever it is. Then focus on thanking the match staff for giving the event so much of their time and effort to make it a success. Without the dedication of the match staff there wouldn’t even be a match to attend, much less a prize table to whine about.