Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VTac vs. Blue Force Gear 3gun slings.

Just went through 8 pages of searches, and These 2 keep popping up as the top 3gun slings, with Vtac's sling taking the majority of the votes, My question is what makes the Vtac any different then the one BlueForce offers? They look virtually the same, with all the addon's you can place on them. Can someone clue me in?

I've had both slings. They are both good products. From my perspective there are two main differences. First, on the Blue Force (Vickers Combat Applications Sling - VCAS) you use the same tab to pull when you lenghten or shorten the sling. On the Viking (VTAC) you have to grab one tab to lenghten and a different one to shorten.

Second, the Viking VTAC has a much longer tail when the sling is cinched up.

Regardless of which one you select, I highly recommend the padded version.

Phil G

Just went through 8 pages of searches, and These 2 keep popping up as the top 3gun slings, with Vtac's sling taking the majority of the votes, My question is what makes the Vtac any different then the one BlueForce offers? They look virtually the same, with all the addon's you can place on them. Can someone clue me in?

The BlueForce (Larry Vickers design) is a little more limited in the amount of adjustment that can be had at a moments notice in comparison the the VTAC. Your adjustment with the BlueForce is limited to the size of the loop that you have set. That being said, you could set it up so you can sling up tight to your body to multiple gun stages. The only problem with setting up a long adjustment loop is that you may have difficulty reaching the slide to lengthen the sling to transition to your rifle.

The VTAC is similar in that you can adjust the running half to almost any length that you desire, but the end will be free. Some say that it can snag, but I have never had that problem. You have to make sure that the buckle is accessible so you can lengthen the sling when you want to. I have found the VTAC to allow for more quick adjustment due to the fact that you have a free running end and you can pull the sling up as tight as you want.

Another feature is when you want to tighten the VTAC, you can pull the free end almost any direction you want. With the BlueForce you have to pull the tab parallel to the sling to move the slide. The same goes when you want to lengthen the sling. This is not a bad characteristic, but the VTAC is more forgiving.

They are both excellent slings and were designed by two top tier professionals who know their business.

I prefer the VTAC and have been using them for years.

I can't speak for the Vickers, but I have a Vtac on my rifle, and it has always been great. Very quick adjustments. I made one for my shotgun just like it, but since I couldn't buy the same quality buckles, it doesn't work as well. Same idea, not the same performance. Since I don't use a sling on my SG as much, I just live with it, but if I had to buy one for it, I'd buy a Vtac, and never look back. Don't do like Alamo shooter, he bought the one with the vampire option.

I have both and they are both well made. I like the VTAC a little more -- not only is it easier to make adjustments, it can make very fine adjustments which is helpful to me when slinging up for support. It is rare though that I use it in the 3-gun matches around here.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the VTAC better as it is quicker to adjust.

I disagree with the comments about the padded vs. nonpadded version for competition use. The padded has more surface area and thus more friction and it can bind easier when doing transitions. For situations where one is wearing the rifle all day, I prefer the padded version. But for pure shooting, I'll take the nonpadded.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I needed a sling for the Ozark match coming up and was planning on getting another Blue Force. But after reading some of the comments I decided to give the VTAC a try. So far I like it a lot. It was a tad cheaper too.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't go wrong with V-TAC, and Kyle Lamb is a great competitor and supporter of 3-Gun, IPSC, etc. I have several different AR set-ups but each one sports a V-TAC sling. With the right swivel studs and attachments they are also really easy to take on & off depending on the stage, although I've never had one get in the way even if not used.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...