Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

World Shoot XIV Information

Firearms permits

Folks,

There is a bottleneck with the permit processing. Seems a sizable number of US shooters are planning to bring multiple firearms – beyond a back-up piece. Worse are the “self defense” models trying to go through.

Oh yes, the lack of serial numbers will not be considered an oversight but reason for complete denial of any permit.

The army, who reviews all data pertinent to permits, is reportedly not amused. They thought the rifle especially insulting for a handgun match.

SO, I would strongly suggest you send in amended data - ASAP, review whatever plan you had for bringing extra items in country and remember they will check you when you leave. Best to have what you declared and signed for upon entry.

Whatever you heard, whatever may have transpired in the past – it ain’t necessarily so this time.

Chao, (practice your Spanish for “later”)

Joel

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard this too.. They will probably be denying permits for anything that looks remotely like a carry gun.

Of course since USPSA made us send in the app so long ago, I had to list 4 serial numbers but was only planning on bringing two. I guess I'd better get an update in.

No personal direct interest, but I'm curious .. No self defence guns .. Ok .. But .. What are all the production guns? Does that mean no Glocks? CZ? Sigs? Berettas?

"""Production guns are fine. Baby Glocks along with 2 17's might raise a flag.""" Also those who think a Seecamp or "Officer's Model" are part of their package...

As Roy said he had to cover himself with 4 numbers. I can understand his thinking but when the application is opened the concept doesn't translate so well.

Send all updated info to Victor. Save the story and just line item the info. The whole process has ground to a halt for all shooters. As I mentioned, those spare items are no longer being overlooked. If matters are not resolve ASAP "someone" will decide for you...

Any questions post them or ask Victor directly.

Comprende?

Saludos,

Joel

so are they saying more than 2 guns is suspect, or is it just a size/concealability issue? I listed 4 guns, partially cause at that time I was not sure if I would be able to source legal standard mags for my SP01 (canadian) and partially cause my luck flying with guns sucks. My last 3 trips have resulted in me being separated from my luggage containing the guns, so I plan to travel with more than I need spread through the luggage, in the hopes that one gun and maybe a backup arrive with me. <_< Howeever the backup for my G17 is a G19.

• 3 weeks later...

Look for blackdragon's post here about the ammo. It won't make it for the pre-match but it's on schedule for the regular match.

My serial number is wrong, but one of Voigt's e-mails says not to worry.

shred, I get the impression they are going to log in what you've got when you show up at customs. I also get the impression Ecuador will be like Costa Rica and nobody will give a hoot coming or going. :)

shred, I get the impression they are going to log in what you've got when you show up at customs. I also get the impression Ecuador will be like Costa Rica and nobody will give a hoot coming or going. :)

I hope so. Nicaragua was sort of anal about the whole thing, checking serial numbers every day at the range, plus going in and out (though the departing-gate cop suggested we should sell him one or two of ours, we declined as we'd "get into trouble" getting back into the US)

I went to the local Customs office today to declare my guns before I leave so I won't have to worry about it in an airport. The agent was VERY helpful and it took about 5 minutes to fill out the forms. What I found interesting was that he ran a check on me and the serial #'s for my pistols. He noted that I had left the country with one of the pistols in 2002. I never expected them to maintain a database on the guns because they were so lackadaisical about filling out the forms the first place (in the Miami airport). It took forever for them to help us and complete the forms. Anyway, if you have a local customs office, you can save a lot of time and headaches by getting this out of the way early. See y'all in Ecuador.

I think the web site says 600+ rounds. It's tough to get that many on a plane with you unless you bring a non-shooting friend. I bet this WS is known as the 'Scramble for Ammo' WS.

There's always Mt. Chimborazo if ammo doesn't make it. :lol:

Try to take what you can. Put 11lbs in the suitcase that your guns are in and let the ticket counter agent see them. Then spread another eleven lbs thoughout the other suitcases. The worse they can do to you is take it from you. Don't "declare" that you have other ammo. Just show them your guns and your ammo. If they catch you, tell them that you thought it was 11lbs per suitcase. I can tell you this, ammo in Ecuador WILL be expensive. My cousin told me that 40/180s were going for $20.00/50. If you end up with extra ammo, you WILL be able to sell it. See y'all there. I am on the plane in the morning.

I think the web site says 600+ rounds.  It's tough to get that many on a plane with you unless you bring a non-shooting friend.  I bet this WS is known as the 'Scramble for Ammo' WS.

There's always Mt. Chimborazo if ammo doesn't make it.  :lol:

Made it to Miami. Never was asked about ammo. I declared the firearms and they gave me a form to sign. The lady asked me to put the form in the case and that was it. She never looked at them. As for the ammo, I spread 800 rounds in 4 suitcase (mine and my wife's). So, far so good. Later.

i guess today will be a big travel day for a lot of shooters.

lynn

We are leaving our local airport at 3:45 tomorrow afternoon for Houston and then out of Houston at 6:50.

With the ammo situation, BJ had an emergency loading session yesterday. Another 800 rounds are loaded, guaged and packed for travel. I think the nerves and excitement of the whole situation are showing a little, but I think once we get there and get settled he will be OK.

See ya'll in Ecuador!

That Continental plane out of Houston tomorrow is going to need a JATO unit to get off the ground, what with all the ammo people are bringing..

I gotta remember to wear a shooting shirt or at least a hat on the plane too.

I flew from Charlotte to Miami on one of those Bombardier (sp?) regional jets. It was so small that I had to turn sideways to get through the bulkhead. As we were sitting down, I began wondering if the little plane could get off the ground with the ammo that was on board and all the luggage (we are carrying 8 pieces with gifts for family etc) that we brought on. It sure did seem like it used a lot of runway when we took off!

Greetings from Ecuador. Denielle and I got in yesterday morning at 5:00! Everything has gone as planned, so far. My press broke the day before I left, so Ive got half loads, and half factory. Oh well. We look forward to seeing everyone there. Hope some people are staying at the Hilton!

LATERS

PHIL