Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

World Shoot XIV Information

Remember the element of surprise? I suppose you all don't bother wrapping Christmas presents either? I mean what's the point right?

Our sport is not like Golf, or NASCAR, or any other sport out there. To post the results prior to the awards ceremonies, makes those ceremonies rather pointless. I wouldn't mind publishing from #20 down or something, but definitely not the top 10, make the top guys sweat a little.

The top guys already know where they finished ten seconds after the last shot is fired. Anybody with a calculator, and there are lots that follow the super squads, can figure it out for the top shooters. Those people you see with the PDAs aren't plaing solitaire, they're running Excel.

Why should there be an element of surprise in a game of skill?

I say again; if the awards ceremony sucks so bad that nobody will show if they already know the results, fix the ceremony. How hard is that? I went to the WS awards to see people I knew, not to get the results.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should put a podium up on the range.

Post the stage results

Wait 1 hour for issues/arbitrations

Announce the results and post to the web.

Stand the winners on the podium at the range where all shooters are already gathered.

Give a dinner at the end for those that want it.

That's how they do it at EVERY OTHER SPORTING EVENT, why should we be different ?

Rob,

I've got some news for you: the top shooters already know. They compare scores on each and every stage. They know the stage factors, and they know exactly where they stand. The Super Squad in each Division can recite the standings each day as they leave the range. It's the rest of us schmoes who don't know.

If an awards ceremony is so lame that they have to keep the scores a secret just to get us there, then we have bigger problems than secret scores.

(Shred beat me to it, while I was on the phone with a gun manufacturer.)

The thing is - Jeff Gordon hasn't *officially* won the race after he crosses the line... Until his car passes inspection, they review the race tape for any stray penalties, etc, and declare the results official (note - I'm assuming that NASCAR has post-race inspections - most of the other auto sports do). This doesn't stop NASCAR from doing the winner's circle stuff, though.

Nascar does do post ace inspections, and car height is one of the things they check. (Which is why the crew chief really discourages the driver from jumping on top of the car anymore.)

Post the stage results

Stand the winners on the podium at the range where all shooters are already gathered.

Give a dinner at the end for those that want it.

That's how they do it at EVERY OTHER SPORTING EVENT, why should we be different ?

And this is totally right!

Since I got rescued :rolleyes: from the WSH awards ceremony 2002 in South-Africa, I don't like these ceremonies and as a few posted here, its better to fix the ceremony procedure and give the results right in Time! :huh:

Best regards & DVC

Hans (The Rock)

If someone much more literate in Computers than I were to look at this, I bet that EzWinScore could be tweaked to work.

Jim - this is getting off topic, but.... My understanding is that it'd be a little more than a tweak... ;) I'd be happy to detail for you offline what would probably need to happen, given my understanding of how EzWinScore works under the covers. Needless to say, it could be done, but it's not as trivial as it might seem on the surface...

Dave

I like the idea of doing the ceremony at the match, right away.

the only reason the super squads know where they are is because of the wailing wall. If Dave S. doesn't share his time with Adam T. then neither of them is going to know how the other is doing in relation to each other. and while a squas might share info amongst itself, they certainly don't share it between other squads, at least not very often. There is no benefit to knowing the finishing placement until all the scores are in and worked out and the trophies handed out.

The awards ceremony was a new experience for me, this was a first class affair and i'm afraid i was not prepared and came dressed like a bum :D i guess i'm used to awards where the md shots out the winners names at the range.

The ceremony is nice , but lets not forget the priority is the shooting ( hence results) and not the ceremony itself

James

Actually Rob/Slave, the top guys know each others times and generally don't keep it a secret. We generally have a better (more timely) idea of exactly where we are in a match than the officials doing the scoring.

If the wailing wall is such a distraction for you, why are you looking at it?

Most shooters go to the World Championship to know how they stack up against the rest of the world and then to have fun.

Wow, from all the threads on this match and a bunch of phone calls that I have received from people that were pissed off about it I am glad I was at the Rocky Mountain 3 Gun World Champs! A great match and it didn't have all that drama associated with a Soap Opera. Not to mention I had my ammo. :-)

Post the stage results

Did you ever be at the stats office?.

900 shooters, shooting 36 stages, means a total of 32,400 score sheets.

Ok, they could be loading day by day stages, but the last day they had 900 shooters that shot 6 stages = 5,400 score sheets to load.

It is almost imposible to end just in time to place the podium after the last shot.

The stats are faster than you think. I used to do data entry (my first job after leaving school).

If you've never seen an expert key in data you will be astonished ( I think I was around 250 characters per minute), the score sheets do no come in all at once, they come in constantly through the day.

If the scoring takes too long then perhaps we should start investigating electronic scoring. :)

Is there another forum where one could go to get more stories and details on the World Shoot? I want to know what rationale the World Shoot match officials used when declaring that Adam Tyc's obviously modified pistol was legal. It would also be good to be able to read about others experiences as well as learning more about how a World Class match is set-up and ran. The coverage provided in Front Sight will be minimal at best.

Does IPSC produce a magazine?

seems to me some major fundamental fixes are needed to take this sport to the next level...

e.g. once a shooter is scored, his/her score can be entered in a wireless device that on refresh updates a database. So scoring can be real time..this is old technology.. so why not go for it..simple fix to a fundamental problem..

Wireless scoring presnet a real cost issue. You need a unit for each stage, spares, and a receiving station.

I've used Palms to score matches, and it only takes a couple of minutes after pickup to have scores available on-line if you have a webserver and "results stations" at the match. Of course, if it's a big match, you need a signed paper "stub" of hits and time to settle and scoring protests.

A7/2005 had results on three computers available for competitor use in the clubhouse, and people could see there scores as they leave the match.

A7/2006 will have results stations (probably more than 3) at the big tent down by the stages to make it even easier to check resuls. Any vendor setting up a display tent will be welcome to display results on a laptop in their booth as it should be in wireless range (if not, ask nicely and we may run you a cable).

I think USA is leading the world in the use of technology to improve this sport. The internet functions that we have with USPSA, uploading scores to the internet, searching by competitor etc. and Area 7's use of electronic scoring are all a step in the right direction.

If the PDA route is proving too expensive then we need to investigate to see if there are alternatives. Real time scoring - paper receipts - are all possible what is needed is the will, innovation and dollars to bring it all together.

As to the other stuff about news from IPSC matches, Saul's updates proved a desire for this type of information, whether IPSC will provide that or USPSA sends someone over to the next WS to report on it remains to be seen. Once again I see an opportunity for USPSA to provide these and lead the rest of the world.

Is there another forum where one could go to get more stories and details on the World Shoot? I want to know what rationale the World Shoot match officials used when declaring that Adam Tyc's obviously modified pistol was legal. It would also be good to be able to read about others experiences as well as learning more about how a World Class match is set-up and ran. The coverage provided in Front Sight will be minimal at best.

Does IPSC produce a magazine?

www.ipsc.org. Click on the 'global village' link.

Does anyone else think that if we had results in timely manner, we wouldn't have had to fill the time bitching about Adam's gun?

However, reading the things here and at IPSC Global Village, forget about the CZ guys! :angry:

Lets have more fun and talk about the next Worldshoot.........

Best regards & DVC

Hans (The Rock)

I expect that by A7/2007, after the "unload and show clear" command Rob B. will have each shooter's results superimposed on their eyeball like the HUD on an F-15. The results have been coming faster and faster with the new Palm Pilot scoring Rob has pioneered... it has been really nice for competitors these last couple of years at the Area 7 matches. It would be great if by WSXV in Bali (or the the Czech Republic, or wherever it transpires...) IPSC could try to update results in a more timely fashion for the world shooting community. Say, by the night the match finished. For many of us waiting abroad to know how our friends had done, the delay was difficult to understand.