Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

World Shoot XIV Information

WS slot requests will be accepted starting Jan 1. Still no word on ammo. I can't believe this isn't resolved this close to the match. Who wants to try and get a slot or make flight, etc. arrangements without knowing if they have ammo or not.

It may just be me, but I'm not spending all the time and money to go to a match of this size and shoot some factory ammo I'm not used to or don't like.

I'm sure everyone is doing all they can, it's just unfortunate I guess. I was actually going to try and go.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you fly by KLM from Amsterdam, you will not pass any US airport. Example:

KL753 Amsterdam Schiphol to Quito - Mariscal Sucr

From/to Actual Status

Amsterdam Schiphol 20Dec 23:31 Departed

Bonaire - Flamingo Field 21Dec 03:36 Arrived

Bonaire - Flamingo Field 21Dec 05:32 Departed

Guayaquil - Simon Bolivar 21Dec 07:12 Arrived

Guayaquil - Simon Bolivar 21Dec 09:10

Quito - Mariscal Sucr 21Dec 10:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

time is probably local time

or check at http://www.klm.com

Smitty,

“I feel your pain”, but what are you expecting?

The permit has been issued for importation of (your own)

ammunition. How you get it there is up to the individual, or if

someone takes the initiative, as a group.

You might contact USPSA and ask if they have a plan and

if there is room for members to join the shipment.

Armscor .40 chronos hot but has been reliable. The prices

quoted seemed cheap. I understand wanting to control what

ammo I use at a big match -- so we can look to ship it or buy

it on site.

Vince has a link for the brochure that should answer many

of your questions. If you have others post them or email me.

Joel

Joel,

I didn't know the ammo import thing had been worked out. Where did you hear that and what is the deal? Last I heard we couldn't ship ammo there from the US. USPSA's site says they are working on it and will post info when available.

Thanks

P.S. - As for what I was expecting. I would expect this to all be sorted out and the info available much more than 6 or 7 months prior to a match that only comes around every 3 years. But I've never looked into a world shoot before, so maybe this is how it goes.

Smitty,

I have a scan of the permit and can manage the Spanish. Victor

Ferrero and I have been friends for some years and I know him to be

a gentleman and completely devoted to making this the best WS yet held.

(In answer to my knowledge, information and sources.)

Check the brochure: (http://www.vincepinto.com/ipsc/WSXIV-Flier.zip)

and you will find the answers to the questions posed in your previous post.

I believe much background has been covered in the several WS threads.

You refer to US shipment of ammo to Ecuador. That is a commercial

transaction and the decision is presently under review with State.

Personal ammo transport via commercial air carrier is governed by their own

rules. Most follow the 5-kg. limit. (12 lbs.) You might inquire if your airline of

choice will ship the remaining or complete shipment, as cargo on the same

flight. *That is one suggestion. I have mentioned banding a group together

and also trying to piggyback with USPSA. Afraid the details are up to you

but I know problem solving is one of your skills!

To reiterate: La Herradura, the club hosting the WS, has 8 other large ranges

and many other facilities available. The range is not an issue. Another non-issue is

security, which was provided as a courtesy. Guayaqil is a large city with diverse

areas and populations. Your personal behavior there should be dictated by the caution

exercised in any city you are unfamiliar with and perhaps do not speak the local language.

There are several hotels with different price ranges available. There are several

domestic carriers, American, Continental and Delta that fly daily. From Miami

there are many other options. Get on the net and look for discount fares!

The match fee might seem high but the structure of the match is different. The

IROA staff is not what anyone will mistake for timer holders – nor range nazis.

They are donating their time for 10 days. Their basic costs are covered, except for

the loss on travel as reimbursement is $500 USD. Infrastructure will be created for

1,000 people, press, sponsors, vendors, caterers and everyone else you can imagine.

The money will be well spent.

The social aspect of the match is considered one of the highlights. (You might consider an

appropriate costume for the Opening and especially Closing ceremonies.) These are formal

and catered affairs where you are an honored guest.

If you have any doubts or – pertinent – questions post them but I ask that you read

the thread through. The WS occurs once every 3 years. This is the best IPSC shooting

match in the world. All the big names from every region,

so if you are competitive and want to see how you stack up,

than ask for a slot. Pay the money and go!

You might think a trip to a prize table worthwhile but win a stage medal and have hundreds

of people from numerous regions applauding you for you skill...

or if you are lucky, or simply damn good!, to win, a President’s medal,

you will be surprised at the value of peer recognition.

I’m back on break for the holiday. When I return I will try and help, anticipate

and answer

pertinent questions. All I ask is that you read what has been posted

previously and ask original questions!

! Feliz Navidad y feliz Año Nuevo!

Joel

Joel, we must not be on the same page. I understand everything about flights, hotels, etc. I've read this whole thread and the flyer Vince posted. I understand all that. I know about flying with ammo, most carriers here it is 11 lbs. You can cheat a little and get maybe 400 rounds. I don't think that is enough for the match.

As I understand it, as of right now, ammo can not be shipped from the US to Ecuador. That is what I was referring to in my last post. If that issue has been resolved, I haven't heard it or read it. A buddy and I were going to try and get slots to go, but I'd pretty much given up with the ammo situation. I saw Vince's flyer about Armscor selling ammo, I'm not doing that. For a match like this it's my stuff or nothing. So that's what I'm getting at. Is it or is it not in your opinion legal to ship ammo from the US to Ecuador? That is my only issue on whether or not to try and go.

I wrote to a friend in the US Embassy, who looked into it and replied there are no legal issues (provided you file the appropriate paper work).

My “opinion” is that there is no law in your way. Call a shipping agent next. It is something of a process... there will be customs and tax people on the other side that are being sorted out.

No, it is not like UPS to the match hotel but worth the time and trouble.

Joel

According to ITAR, you can ship 3 guns and no more than 1000 rounds for personal use. If the match requires more than 1000 then there may be problems.

I quote:

A. LICENSING EXEMPTIONS: The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) provides for certain exemptions relative to the licensing of firearms and ammunition. Listed below are the exemptions: (Please be sure to read the complete applicable section of the ITAR)

123. 17© Temporary export of firearms and ammunition for personal use - U.S. persons may export temporarily not more than three non-automatic firearms and not more than 1,000 cartridges of ammunition provided that this is for the person's exclusive use and not for re-export or other transfer of ownership (i.e., firearms for use on hunting trips).

So regardless of the laws in Ecuador, US persons cannot export more than 1000 rounds and take no more than 3 guns...period. Unless you want to start working your way through the DSP forms for temporary import/export of guns and ammo, did that twice... not fun...

If the ammo was sent by a shipping agent then I believe that the same restrictions would apply, only 1000 per person. So you could ship over 1000 and bring an extra 200-300 rounds with you in your suitcase to cover practice and reshoots etc...

Hope this helps.

Hello, folks!

Does anyone have a rough idea of what it might cost to ship 1,000 rounds to Ecuador? Also, what would experienced international shooters suggest about whether it's better to bring one's guns in checked baggage or ship them ahead of time with the ammo? I'd love to try to make the trip to Guayaquil and any advice from those more experienced would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

It's better to bring the guns in checked baggage, in my opinion anyway.

I don't know about the cost of shipping. At the last World Shoot USPSA organised a shipment and then recouped the money from each competitor. This is better than sending multiple shipments. I suggest waiting for USPSA to organise something along these lines for the forthcoming World Shoot.

Don't forget, you will have to ship the ammunition to the central site in USA so that it could be gathered into a single shipment, so this cost would be added to the total.

The problem that I see at the moment is that exporting ammunition to Ecuador is a no-no from USA. I'm sure that a solution will be be found but the best source of that information will be USPSA.

The problem that I see at the moment is that exporting ammunition to Ecuador is a no-no from USA. I'm sure that a solution will be be found but the best source of that information will be USPSA.

I know everyone is trying to be helpful but this unattributed* “can’t export” issue keeps coming up.

The U.S. Embassy commercial affairs section in Quito, Ecuador (host of the WSXIV) has stated that there is NO problem exporting ammunition for your personal use in the match “provided you apply for the appropriate permits”.

Unless there is a new law in force from last years Pan American Championship,

and those of us who attended had no problems; information rather than “heard about” is what we all need.

You might like to research the DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE Bureau of Export Administration. 1-800-USA-TRADE

http://web.ita.doc.gov/ticwebsite/FAQs.nsf...33;OpenDocument

Then follow up with the U.S. State Department. 202-665-1282.

As far as shipping; you will have a freight cost, as well as assembling the materials in proper packaging, a bill of lading must be filled out, terminal transfer, fuel surcharge, “handling fees”, customs, HAZMAT, insurance and G.O.K. Then once the ship (approx. ½ cost of air) arrives it is unloaded, 12% tax, duty, handling, transport and storage. There too are missing items..., which they are trying to solve

at their end. Ecuador is in Latin America and these things do not happen overnight.

*We need to nail down the problems/questions and find solutions. I think we are all working toward the same goal. It is soon to be January 1 and the clock is ticking!

Safe New Year to all,

Joel

Oh yes, guns in luggage.

• 2 weeks later...
The date of 15th february 2005 ordering and paying Ammo to the organization will be moved to a later date? I heard a rumor, is this true?

No.

I took the time to speak with Victor -- just in case -- but there are no plans for changes. The date allows time for the vendor to deliver product in plenty of time for the event.

As for Mr. Rumor, please write Victor direct if you'd like to ingratiate yourself before posting "rumors". I offered to answer what inquires are asked here on the forum but rumors are a waste of everyone's time. If you would like to do the research concerning laws and procedure, where the pertinent information is covered in the brochure or on the website, then by all means post all relevant info.

We will all be educated and served. Thanks in advance.

If you plan on attending the WS I would suggest filling out your slot and asking your RD to send them in together with payment. (I will double check preferred payment method and address and post here.)

Should you wish to avoid the hassle of importing ammo order what you will need, and that factor in the ever-important sight-in, practice, re-shoot and shoot-off quantity.

DVC,

Joel

Dude, he posted a rumor asking if it was true. Chill out.

Jake,

I am a very chilled individual as my post clearly indicates. (I also have a sense of humor, dry and perhaps a bit sardonic but certainly good natured.)

You will note my previous comment on rumor and the constructive exchange of information. Perhaps I wasn’t clear in suggesting we discuss information and solutions rather than waste time on issues previously covered on the forum or in the match brochure.

Hope to meet you there!

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and updates, everyone. Obviously when there are international boundaries to be crossed everything gets a whole lot more complex.

Here's a new question: I noticed on the WS brochure it was mentioned that shooters would be greeted at the airport by a welcoming committee "with your firearms entry permits in hand". Are these permits something for which we need to apply ahead of time? If so, do we apply through the USA or through Ecuador (and who do we contact?)? Is there any other paper work that needs to be done? Maybe I looked in the wrong places, but I didn't see info on this on the WS website.

I assume that these applications might take a little time to process, and I want to make sure I've got things taken care of if I do get a slot.

Appreciatively,

Elye A.

A quick catch up:

If you write Victor he does reply to his email.

Yes, Mike is RD for the US region (USPSA), and in charge of slot distribution and all liaison with IPSC.

Match fee is $400. Figure (guestimate) no less than 560 rounds. Bring more, you don’t have to shoot them!

Your slot should have all the necessary info required for your permit.

I do not undertake international flights without a copy of my permit in hand. You should also have a copy of the match invitation, confirmation; (hotel, contacts, itinerary and copy of passport are worthwhile documents.) Some airlines will not allow you to board without a valid permit for your destination.

Asides:

You might have your Dr. prescribe Lomotil or OTC/Imodium (diarrhea), Levison (stomach cramp), and an electrolyte replacement drink supplement. *Should you have this insurance you will naturally not need it.

Sunscreen is worthwhile and don’t forget it needs to be reapplied throughout the day.

DVC,

Joel

Having traveled with firearms outside of US border in the past, it is a VERY good idea to get a US Customs form stating that you had the firearm in question before you left the US, otherwise they can charge you duty!

This just saves a lot of hassle!

Having traveled with firearms outside of US border in the past, it is a VERY good idea to get a US Customs form stating that you had the firearm in question before you left the US,

I mentioned this at some point and it is an excellent point not to be overlooked!

What you need is a "Customs Declaration Form". List all your valuables and staple it into the passport.

Good reminder!

Joel

Having traveled with firearms outside of US border in the past, it is a VERY good idea to get a US Customs form stating that you had the firearm in question before you left the US,

I mentioned this at some point and it is an excellent point not to be overlooked!

What you need is a "Customs Declaration Form". List all your valuables and staple it into the passport.

Good reminder!

Joel

Make half a dozen photocopies of the customs form and any other match paperwork (invitation, permits, and so on). Hand them out like candy to anybody that even starts to look at you sideways.

At the risk of seeming dense... Would I get this Customs Declaration Form at the airport in the U.S. when I'm departing for Ecuador, or get it somewhere else ahead of time?

I can't imagine how much stress and confusion this forum has saved shooters from over the years-- no matter what the question, there's always someone who's been there & done that and has the answer handy.

Thanks! :rolleyes: