Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing stages

I was curious how many people practice or review posted stages before a major match. Do you think it's beneficial or overkill? I know for me I try to review them, but it can be difficult to anticipate how the stage will actually lay in real life.

I only review them to find out what the start positions are. That way I can work on table starts etc.

Walking the stages the day before, when the RO's allow, is far more helpful.

Gotta agree with Jman here. All too often, the stage posted will be built much different than you will build it from the posted stage description. Only time they are specific enough that you can build the exact stage you will shoot are classifiers.

They are almost never built as posted. Look for the skills required and work on those. Those skills can have long term benefits. A good example were the 40 yard turtle targets at the 08 Nationals. I worked like a dog on those and now look forward to the longer stuff when presented. Also look for unusual target placements and verify those when you see the stage for real.

I review for differnt stuff like table starts or weak hand, and practice that a bit, I also look at reloads and magazines I am gonna use, I usually start 20+1 and reload with 19, I do have two tuned 22+1 magazines, that I will earmark for specific stage if it is an advantage.

I look for start positions and specific points in the stages: like low kneeling, strong/weak hand shooting and etc. If I see "memory test" stages I am willing to see them in prematch. It is a pity, that we are not allowed to see stages from within in IPSC matches.

I only review them to find out what the start positions are. That way I can work on table starts etc.

Walking the stages the day before, when the RO's allow, is far more helpful.

+1

They are almost never built as posted. Look for the skills required and work on those. Those skills can have long term benefits. A good example were the 40 yard turtle targets at the 08 Nationals. I worked like a dog on those and now look forward to the longer stuff when presented. Also look for unusual target placements and verify those when you see the stage for real.

As someone that sets up stages at our local club I often look over the stages for upcoming big matches and try to work things so that the guys can get warmed up on things like long head shots, moving targets and the like. Even if I am not shooting the big matches I find it very helpful to practice these things. :)

Joe W.

+1 on stages not even being similar when you get to the match. Look for specific skills in the big match stages like prone under a wall, weak hand, load from table and practice those.

I think the biggest factor in the major match is going in with confidence and that comes from a good practice session. Work on hits and not screwing up. Keep your focus on the shot you are making and avoid any thoughts of time. Nothing takes you out of the hunt faster than negative points.

I think not being able to exactly set up stages and practice them before a match is one of the game's greatest features. If it were possible to set up and practice the stages for a large match months in advance, then people with the facilities to do so would have a tremendous advantage on match day. Currently, it's all about the skill set you bring with you, and how you can apply it the first time you shoot any given stage. That makes the consistent winners all that much more impressive, imo.

Reviewing the WSBs gives you the opportunity to add to that skill set, or polish certain skills you think may be required.

I've shown people who are not shooters match videos... more than once they have been ho-hum about it, until they ask how long I had practiced that stage, and how many times I've shot it. Suddenly they seem impressed and even more interested when you explain that [except classifiers] you never see the same setup twice, only ever shoot it once and it's for score, and only with 5 minutes to figure out where all the targets are and come up with a strategy...

-rvb

I focus on elements of the stages....table starts, SH/WH stages, transitions to movers, etc. and try to setup practice sessions that focus more on those skills. As many have posted, stage diagrams are a guide to the layout at the match, it almost always gets adjusted at setup.

Edited by matt2ace

I've done my share of stage setup, so I know how they can drastically change from what was originally envisioned. I think I'm over-thinking things because I so badly want to do better than I have been.. But that's why I'm here, and I just have to keep on practicing. Going over those skills that I can practice in dry fire like draws and reloads sounds like a good plan.

Lindsey

I'm going to disagree slightly re: stage diagrams.

As a diminished capacity shooter (Production, and now SingleStack) I find the diagrams a HUGE help in terms of reload planning.

I try to get to majors at least a half day prior to my shooting day to look at the stages; usually my workload is cut in HALF as a result of being able to do a fair amount of prep work just looking at the stages. Makes life a lot easier as I try to get things figured out.

Memorizing the stage diagrams is not productive for the reasons listed by others.

Agreed on start positions, abnormal targets/props etc.

FY42385

I really agree with the concept of looking to what skills you may need to improve for the match. If there is a 40 yds standards, then practice shooting at 40 yards. Same for start positions.

This years SSNat was about fundamentals. So I practiced a lot of 40 and 50 yard shooting. It really help to see that I needed to work on it. Practiced weak and strong hand shooting which helped. So sometimes the stage diagrams and instructions can help determine what you need to improve but as far as trying to mimic a stage setup seems pretty useless to me.

Last years Prod Nationals had some twists that had I known I might have practiced--the low port shooting and squat shooting. But it seems except for the mud bowels most Nationals are about sound fundamentals, you really can not practice shooting in five inches of mud.

When I look at a stage diagram before a match I get an idea of how that stages will be setup. Though it may be similiar its is never the same unless its a classifier. Distance, target presentation and hard cover are always different. I just look for start positions, round count and try to see what type of stage as far as moving and shooting or ports. I will practice the start position, reloads or maybe a certain target presentation.

I like setting up stages and practicing. Not the ones for matches but stages I make up to work on areas that need it. I like doing drills but putting it all together helps. I did this alot when I was working on shooting field courses. It seemed like in field course I would shoot 1 aspect well but have trouble in another. It helped more mentally than actual shooting skills. Being able to come up with a plan and keep with it through the whole stage.

Flyin

I focus on elements of the stages....table starts, SH/WH stages, transitions to movers, etc. and try to setup practice sessions that focus more on those skills. As many have posted, stage diagrams are a guide to the layout at the match, it almost always gets adjusted at setup.

+1. Identifying those aspect which will likely be the most challenging for me is my primary goal when reviewing the published stage diagrams.

+1. Identifying those aspect which will likely be the most challenging for me is my primary goal when reviewing the published stage diagrams.

Something I will be doing for sure over the next five months.

Joe W.

I'm going to disagree slightly re: stage diagrams.

As a diminished capacity shooter (Production, and now SingleStack) I find the diagrams a HUGE help in terms of reload planning.

I try to get to majors at least a half day prior to my shooting day to look at the stages; usually my workload is cut in HALF as a result of being able to do a fair amount of prep work just looking at the stages. Makes life a lot easier as I try to get things figured out.

Memorizing the stage diagrams is not productive for the reasons listed by others.

Agreed on start positions, abnormal targets/props etc.

FY42385

I agree. Having a gameplan going into the match makes things go easier. If the stage has been changed the plan gets changed. I don't do as much planning on paper as I use to do though.

• 1 month later...

My major match experience is in Production. So I look over the stages for start positions, low ports, how much movement and reload strategy. I do it mainly to feel prepared although I think I am at my best just going into the stage and make my plan during the 5 minute walk throughs.

I would bet good money that the guys who can....with the time,money,facilities,sponsorship,etc...build very similar stages and shoot them as practice leading up to a big match.

I'll take your bet..... don't think it happens at the top.

I would bet good money that the guys who can....with the time,money,facilities,sponsorship,etc...build very similar stages and shoot them as practice leading up to a big match.

I'll take your bet..... don't think it happens at the top.

I'll take that bet as well.

I have seen some local matches attempt to set up stages of an upcoming major match and bill it as warm up for said match, and I guess it is ok as a novelty which might even attract a few shooters. However, I am not a big fan of it and don't see the benefit. I don't believe it is possible to duplicate a stage from a posted diagram and get it close enough to learn anything specific to the stage you will find when you get to the match. You may even hurt yourself in loosing some of the openmindedness (is that even a word?) you may have otherwise had when you see the stage for the first time.

Bingo Scott R, Basically what I was thinking, you just can't groove in freestyle. Stages are far too complicated to duplicate. I think the "big dawgs" know this, only the noob would try it and then quickly realize after the Major match that it was just not worth it.