Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Position of reloader on bench

Brand new to reloading and ordered my 550B from Brian the other day and eagerly awaiting its arrival. My question to everyone, especially 550B owners is...What is the best position of the reloader on the bench? Far right, far left..dead center? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to mounting on one side or the other? I don't want to go drilling holes in my bench and then realize that I was better off mounting it on the other side. I know it will all come to down to preference, but I figured asking those that have been doing this awhile would be a good place to start.

To give you an idea of my setup, here is a picture of the bench right after I built it.

Any advice, food for thought, etc is welcome.

Thanks

DSC01312.jpg

Being right handed I mounted my 650 on the far right of my bench. I obviously use the right hand for the roller handle which obviously leaves the left hand to place bullets on the brass or to pour powder charges in my scale which is set up to the left of the press. My press stays in it's place so the rest of the bench is clear for other projects.

CYa,

Pat

I put mine dead square in the middle of my bench... Room on the left for the scale, etc... Room on the right for whatever - mioght need... Best tip I have is make sure you have plenty of light!

I put one on each end, one for small primers and the other for large. Saves time switching setups.

Since I'm right handed, I prefer the left hand side. Hopefully you got a strong mount for it, as it is the perfect height (for me) standing and operating the press. Don't go all the way to the edge, keep it 14-18 inches from the left edge of the bench. That's where I stack my boxes of bullets to feed the bullet tray. To the right you'll have empty brass ready to go, and empty bins to swap out after you fill them. You'll be pleased with the 550, it's a good machine.

Like HS101 said, you can't have enough light. It really makes a difference. Good luck and happy loading.

I haven't reloaded anything yet so consider my comments value to you based on that.

I am in the bench building process now. I am going to route a channel and set 80-20 aluminum extrusions into the bench top. I am planning two channels, 24 inches long on the right side of the bench (72 inch bench). That will allow me to move the machine anywhere within that 24 inch zone right or left and secure it in place using t-nuts. I will also be able to remove the machine in case I want to use the entire bench without the machine being in the way.

Not sure if such an option appeals to you nor if it is the best mounting option for the intended purpose. I got the idea from round about page 37 on the reloading bench photo thread on this forum.

Being right handed I mounted my 650 on the far right of my bench. I obviously use the right hand for the roller handle which obviously leaves the left hand to place bullets on the brass or to pour powder charges in my scale which is set up to the left of the press. My press stays in it's place so the rest of the bench is clear for other projects.

CYa,

Pat

ditto.

Tim

Keep in mind that with a 550, you'll need some room on both sides of the press for components --- unless you bought a case feeder....

My main press is on the far right of my bench, the backup's almost at the far left...

my 550 is in the middle of my bench on a strong mount; there's room on the left for primers and bullets, and room on the right for brass. the strong mount is a worthwhile upgrade and worth every penny.

I'm not sure it matters. Mine is on the right end because that end of the bench has an L extension, so I have a continuous work area. If the L were on the other end, I'd put the press there.

You are probably better off picking one end or the other to maximize the contiguous work area remaining. Just figure that you are probably going to want bullets handy to the left of the press and room for empty brass and completed bullets to the right. And it's not like you are going to be super-gluing the press in place, you can always move it.

I would put it as far to one side as is comfortable, that way you will have plenty of room for the NEXT press, like a 1050 (you will want one eventually)and won't have to make any extra holes in the bench!

Good luck

I have my 550 (without a case feeder or bullet feeder) set up in the middle of the bench. Without the case and bullet feeders, you'll want room on each side for supplies (keep the brass on the right side of the bench, bullets on the left). I've found that if I had mounted it on one side or the other, I would be stacking things up when I was changing calibers. Keeps everything a bit more scattered so to speak, but at least you aren't digging through stuff looking for a part after you have taken it off. If, in the future you do get another press, simply move this one down to an end (or closer to the end). My .02....

Put it on the right end of the bench, over the leg this will give it the most stability. Once you get started it won't take any time at all till it looks like this: http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=746 Little messy but the maid comes on Tuesday.

Coco, I thought you had sneaked into my reloading room and took a pic of my bench! But, your bench is cleaner (and has 2 presses!). The bench will get messy, it's a fact!

What the hell does it matter if you are right or left handed? you still have to operate the handle with the right and place bullets with the left... :wacko:

I have one loader on the right, one on the left, and one in the middle...and I'm left handed.

Just mount it where you think is best, you can always move it later if you decide you want your bench set up differently.

jj

Wow! I logged in today thinking there may be one or two replies, but 20 so far?! Thank you. My initial thought was on the far right, but now based on the responses I'm thinking just the left of far right. That leaves room for the components as a few of you suggested. Those were the kinds of things I was hoping someone would mention that I wasn't thinking of. Thank you all.

Looking forward to setting it up, starting to reload, and then adding my picture to the "show us your reloading setup" post!

Wow! I logged in today thinking there may be one or two replies, but 20 so far?! Thank you. My initial thought was on the far right, but now based on the responses I'm thinking just the left of far right. That leaves room for the components as a few of you suggested. Those were the kinds of things I was hoping someone would mention that I wasn't thinking of. Thank you all.

Looking forward to setting it up, starting to reload, and then adding my picture to the "show us your reloading setup" post!

You have the right idea now. Left or right, leave room for components. That will give you more support from the legs. Put it together on the SM and set it on there and see what you like best, then drill.

Nobody has said it yet but, you might want to think about anchoring the bench to the wall or floor. There is a lot of leverage applied to the bench when in operation.

For those that mentioned it, yes, I did order the SM.

Nobody has said it yet but, you might want to think about anchoring the bench to the wall or floor. There is a lot of leverage applied to the bench when in operation.

I have considered this. Thankfully the bench is rock solid. After mounting the loader though, if there is still some wiggle, I will definitely figure a way to tie it into the wall. Thanks for the advice though.

I centered mine. From left to right on the bench I have, primers and tubes, then bullets, then 550, then brass, then one shot with ziploc bag. I have a shelf behind the press with from left to right, scale, tool stand, calipers, radio, canned air.

As mentioned, tons of light. I load standing as well.