Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Micah

One of the great heavy-metal voices of all time. (Back when you had to have pipes to sing metal!) Gonna hit iTunes and look up his stuff. There wre alot I used to hear at friends houses growing up.

Got to see him in concert here in Dayton, OH way back in 1986. Lights, lasers, giant mechanical dragons the breathed smoke and fire :devil: ..... and a kick ass rock n roll show on top of it all!

Certainly one of those concerts you wish you remembered more of it! ;)

RIP RJD

Edited by Chris Keen

This morning stomach cancer took one of the greatest rockers that have ever lived from us. Rest in peace Ronnie :closedeyes:

First concert Dio fronting Black Sabbath on the Heaven and Hell tour in Seattle at Memorial Stadium.

RIP \m/

This morning stomach cancer took one of the greatest rockers that have ever lived from us. Rest in peace Ronnie :closedeyes:

First concert Dio fronting Black Sabbath on the Heaven and Hell tour in Seattle at Memorial Stadium.

RIP \m/

That was my first rock n roll concert. Caught it in Dayton, OH. I think late 79 or early 80. I admit I didn't like Dio so much as a replacement for Ozzy. But, I grew to like his stuff. RIP

That was my first rock n roll concert. Caught it in Dayton, OH. I think late 79 or early 80. I admit I didn't like Dio so much as a replacement for Ozzy. But, I grew to like his stuff. RIP

He blew the doors off Ian Gillan. After losing Ozzy, RJD was the best front man Black Sabbath could ever could hope to find. How ironic was it that he was referred by Ozzy's future wife, Sharon.

The front man for a band like Black Sabbath needed to be larger than life. And Ronnie was that kind of guy. He gave Black Sabbath new life. They had always had a "mythical/magical" image to them before (Fairies Wear Boots / Iron Man / The Wizard) but Dio enabled them to delve a little deeper into that image. Pioneering the "Metal Horns" hand gesture may be what he is most remembered for.

And many people will dispute that without Ozzy how could they still call themselves "Black Sabbath" but the albums that they wrote while Ronnie was with the band were truly worthy of being called Black Sabbath albums (Heaven and Hell / Mob Rules / Live Evil / Dehumanizer) if not only because of the music, then certainly for the album artwork.

Black_Sabbath_Heaven_and_Hell.jpg200px-SabbathMob.jpg200px-SabbathEvil.jpg

As much as he was a part of Rainbow, and later his own enormously successful solo career, Ronnie James Dio will forever be living legacy of Black Sabbath.

\m/

Edited by Chris Keen