Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I HATE the fact that I am an UNSAFE shooter

gino_aki

OK, I've been doing this a long time...since '83, by now I should have this down pat. I'm a certified R.O....even went through the class twice. I'm supposed to be THE MAN when it comes to safety. But I have to face the facts. I'm an UNSAFE shooter.

Got DQ'd last weekend for an AD. Realized ALL my DQ's have been AD's, and the count no longer fits on the fingers of both hands. I'm obviously NOT getting my stupid finger out of the trigger guard. Particulars on this incident (like it MATTERS): pulling back from left side of barricade, gun hits barricade, boom. At least I didn't try excusing myself just cleared and holstered, went back to the safe zone and bagged. What DOES matter is that I've AD'd on my buddy who was ROing me FOUR #$%!ing times now...he probably thinks one of my goals is to give him a heart attack.

And the scary part is that my immediate reaction after the surprise was IRRITATION with myself rather than HOLY M*&^%@#&!+ing S&%T!!! Oh, another AD. I did get angry at myself later for my reaction as well as being stupidly unsafe.

Stayed up late seeing whether I could incorporate putting the gun on SAFE, every time I'm moving it, but then saw that I was taking it OFF SAFE before it was on target. Gonna have to spend a lot of time unlearning bad habits. Going to have to go back to conscious shooting (press...press...finger out...aim...finger in...press...press) because the safety part got forgotten along the way somehow. Try to get back that ultra vigilant attitude I had when I was a noob.

Maybe I should just RO this weekend and leave the gun home.

It's going to take a lot of practice to get out of the habit that you're in but you need to find somewhere to PUT your finger. Our brains do not work in negatives. You cannot simply "not put your finger on the trigger." I don't know what gun you're shooting but there must be something your index finger can reach to rest on when you're not engaging targets. Find somewhere and PUT Your index finger there instead of NOT putting it on the trigger.

Dang man. Completely sucks.

That's some s#!t there dude. Seriously.

Maybe I should just RO this weekend and leave the gun home.

Not a thing wrong with a little self imposed suspension. Bet it would do you some good.

You'll fix it. You have to.

Still. Sucks huge.

I agree with finding a new index point for the bang switch. Hang in there, focus on doing that in dryfire practice. just "shoot" a couple As then run across your living room with your new index point for your finger. Itll work itself out if you practice it.

Gino,

What division do you shoot? If it's L-10 or limited, why not put a little bit of grip tape on the frame just above the trigger. Dryfire that feeling of that tape into your subconscience. Over and over, draws and mag changes. Just find that mental index that feels "good" after enough repetition.

You'll get it dude.

If you are running an extended mag release, try one that isn't . That way you will have to shift your hand, and finger, around to hit the button. You might be less likely to hit the trigger on a mag change without an extended mag release.

On the draw I hear where you are coming from. I was originally taught to hit the safety as I hit the thumb break of my Gordon Davis inside the pants holster years ago. Now though, I learned that to be a big no no, and it comes off on extension to the target. That was the hardest thing to learn. My memory index is a straight finger feel on the draw and mag changes with my CZ and the Glock. I heard of the tape thing from another shooter, and thought it sounded good.

Good luck.

Edited by JimmyZip

I read in a very good book "the only way to get rid of a bad habit is to replace it with a good one"

At the unload and show clear /If clear hammer down = I will not drop the hammer with out looking at the sights 99.999 % of the time

I did it this past weekend on a 3gun stage and I did not like it

I use hand tools most every day ,like screw guns = I take my finger and lay it along side the gun when I am not in the act of driving a screw.

possible you could "Force a change" buy car-ring an air soft around the house

I made some personal changes over 25 years ago and they have not come back = You Can DO IT!

You worked hard to develop this habit, you'll have to work harder to break it.

I AD'd during a malfunction once. I spent weeks practicing getting my finger where it should be. That even includes malfunction practice while sitting at a stoplight in my car(discretely of course). By the way I don't encourage that particular drill.

Don't worry, you'll fix it.

Sorry man, that does suck. I know some competitors put a piece of grip tape on the frame above the trigger guard. You then practice feeling the abrasive texture of the tape with your finger instead of the smooth surface of the frame that is identical to the smooth surface of the bang stick. Might help you here.

edited to add Sorry Flex, I forgot it was the hate forum too.

Edited by Neomet

This is a true case of intellectual honesty, and I would suggest we move it out of the hate forum and discuss it some more. It takes a big man to point the finger at himself so I respect gino_aki for this thread.

As I was reading through this thread, I was thinking about the RO's role in all of this. Your RO hasn't done you any favors.

If you are in the double digits you aren't practicing the right things. A for honesty though. I do think you need to take this safety as a priority in your practices before going to another match.

Is it possible your trigger is too light?

I have two STI's - I've had two AD's (both times

I was moving and shooting, but both RO's caught

the fact that I did not intend to pull the trigger

those two times - that was with my STI that I had

the trigger lightened on.

The other STI TruBor (with a factory trigger) - I've

never had an AD.

I've stopped using the light trigger pull STI until

I can work with it enough to stop the AD's.

Might just be that a slightly heavier trigger pull might

go along way in helping you:)) I hope.

Good luck.

never had an AD.

Good luck.

No matter what, you finger should be nowhere near the trigger if you are not shooting a target.

never had an AD.

Good luck.

The only thing that will stop AD's is keeping your finger off the trigger when its not supposed to be there.

dryfire. work on reloads and movement (ie situations you should have your finger out of the guard). video it. anything else we want to ingrain we learn through repetition. this is no different. put your focus during your practices on your finger. you have to overcome years of bad habit. it can be done, and you'll be a better shooter for it. when I get video of myself at matches, that's one thing I always watch for, to make sure I am doing it right.

-rvb